[Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: [Behaviour suggestions] New sketch plane selection

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm Any idea who's wizard enough to handle it?
I don't have time ATM to handle this, but the magic happens here : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... p#L82-L147
Specifically, line width is on line 121.
mariwan

Post by mariwan »

np
Last edited by mariwan on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

mariwan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:10 pm So, why not FreeCAD take it in to the CORE? don't know.

But seems that no one care of my WB unfortunately which is sad.
Please stop ever complaining that nobody cares about or likes you or your holly WB. This is boring and doesn't help. Why it isn't in the core? Because you didn't make a PR.
mariwan

Post by mariwan »

As always, ok I will delete it .. never pass anything.
It is my fault I see you FreeCAD as my family and talk here. Last post ever.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mariwan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:45 pm Last post ever.
No need to get grumpy. From what your describe is your stuff really good, but it would already be less good, if there were two or more ways to build equivalent stuff. The other developers - you know there aren't that many - probably don't have the time to integrate it, so openBrain is right: you should do it yourself. That would also reveal if there are flaws in the concept and you can eliminate them immediately.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

mariwan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:10 pmnp
It's getting out of topic, but I checked your workbench Design456 and it seems to have a lot of tools and functionalities but I can't understand what is the goal of your workbench, what is it for? Who use it? To make what kind of things?
I saw the idea is to create something similar to 123D design of autodesk, I didn't knew this cad software either and had a look, but I can't understand it's use either.
I'm not sure but 123D design feels like a beginner tool to do basic 3D shapes to 3D print?

It feels like you made a enormous lot of hard work making a new WB and a lot of tools, but that don't integrate into anyone's workflow. So my guess is that it is why not many are using it. And I think it's sad because you made a lot of work and it's not used.

People use Part Design + Sketcher because it's powerful and it let them make the 3D shape they have in their mind. So why don't you try to improve Part Design to make it more user friendly for new users for instance?

From your videos that I seen, there seem to be a lot of interesting ideas. Why don't you try to integrate them into the existing Part Design WB?
Two examples :
- Extruding by dragging with the mouse (I seem to recall you wrote about that). Why not adding this capability to the current Part Design extrude tool? It could be nice when you start the extrude tool to be able to pull the surface up/down with the mouse. Rather than just be able to write in the extrude length. That's a cool idea and would let users extrude by hand when they don't need a precise length, in the 'free modelling' style.
- Star tool where you select the number of tips and the inner/outer radius.
Why don't you make this tool for the Sketcher where people could actually use it? It's not something that would be intensively used, but the day I need to make a star shaped object I would want to make it in the sketcher, not in a separate workbench where I get a star shaped surface which I would have trouble processing further.

By the way, a more complex star tool could be very interesting to make cogwheels. In current state of the Sketcher, drawing a cogwheel with hundreds of cogs is probably a huge nightmare, as there is no rotation symmetry tool.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

But seems that no one care of my WB unfortunately which is sad.
well this is kind of a chicken and egg situation... people using FreeCAD and lurking in the forums probably don't care much about direct modelling because they're here for the parametric capabilities, this is because FreeCAD was created as a parametric CAD software, not a direct modelling one. Unless a mature enough and good enough direct modelling workbench is around FreeCAD is unlikely to attract direct modelling folks and because of this, not many people will join you until it gets there. And this last part is total wild speculation but IMO it's unlikely that people using direct modelling will be interested in programming, they're using direct modelling stuff because they like easy tu use simple and graphical tools, not powerful complex scripting stuff... So I think you should better manage your expectations from this project and this community.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

First step here to allow selection with full bounding box of labels rather than precisely picking inside the font : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5396
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

niiiice :D that's probably the most helpful part but thicker lines would be appreciated too I think. And a visual representation of the label bounding box would also be nice to have IMO.
Kinda related thought: what do you guys think of making datum planes more like this instead of having a fully filled rectangle? Currently they are too obstructive to make it practical to have them shown in 3D view so I always hide them, even if I know I will use the plane again later.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

openBrain wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm First step here to allow selection with full bounding box of labels rather than precisely picking inside the font : https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5396
Merged by @wmayer as revision 27101
adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:53 pm niiiice :D that's probably the most helpful part but thicker lines would be appreciated too I think.
ATM, changing line to be thicker will happen in all situations (plane selection, but also simple origin display). Is that acceptable ? If it isn't, it would need to introduce a mechanism to have hot change depending on the situation.
And a visual representation of the label bounding box would also be nice to have IMO.
Not sure of this one. :)
Kinda related thought: what do you guys think of making datum planes more like this instead of having a fully filled rectangle? Currently they are too obstructive to make it practical to have them shown in 3D view so I always hide them, even if I know I will use the plane again later.
As this thread isn't closed on all points, better open a new topic to not clutter. ;)