Suggestion for Symmetry Constrant Symbol Enhancement

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
abdullah

Re: Suggestion for Symmetry Constrant Symbol Enhancement

Postby abdullah » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am

Ok, grouping constraint icons was done by Ian (which is a nice feature, thanks Ian!).

A possibility would be to exclude the symmetry constraint from grouping. I have implemented this and pushed to my branch.

The result is this:
constraints_3.png
constraints_3.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Now the symmetry icons are shown as you request.
Other than the offset I think they look great - it's much more helpful for the user if the constraint symbol isn't always displayed horizontally.

I'd still like to compile your branch and try your changes but that won't be for another 8 hours or so because I'm getting sleepy.
We are not in a hurry. Get some sleeping and let me know your impressions... ;)
bejant

Postby bejant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi Abdullah, I can see from the latest screen grab that the Symmetry Constraint symbols display as we had in mind. I still have a lot to learn about compiling FreeCAD and don't want to keep you waiting on me any longer. It looks like nobody else objects to this change (or nobody else is following this thread!) so if all is OK with you I'd like to see it in master.

P.S. As you mentioned the constraint symbols are really small, especially in that last screen grab...
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Guys
I am compiling this now but its very late here...I don't know if I will still be up when its finished...we will see :)

Based on the screen shots, I think its a great idea to have the symmetry arrow head align with the line of symmetry.

One thought...would it be a good idea to have the entities effected by the symmetry light up when the symmetry constraint icon is hovered over or selected? My answer to my own question is NO because you don't want selection to include those other points etc.

So another thought was what about some sort of general tool, perhaps accessible via the right click context menu in the constraints list in the taskview, something like "show effected entities" which could temporarily recolour the sketch entities associated with that constraint? So for example for a horizontal distance either the line or one of its end points and origin would light up so you can see exactly to what that constraint was applied.

Does that make sense?

Jim
nahshon

Postby nahshon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:11 pm

This is how it looks in jriegel/dev-assembly2.
I created two symmetry constraints with 3 points each.
The little arrows at the end points always look at the center, but the symbol at the center do not change.

The little arrows are pre-selected with the center but not when the mouse passes on any of them.
symmetry.png
symmetry.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
-- Itai
bejant

Postby bejant » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:31 pm

jmaustpc wrote:So another thought was what about some sort of general tool, perhaps accessible via the right click context menu in the constraints list in the taskview, something like "show effected entities" which could temporarily recolour the sketch entities associated with that constraint?
I'm pretty sure that was the topic of another ticket but I can't find it now...
nahshon wrote:I created two symmetry constraints with 3 points each.
The little arrows at the end points always look at the center, but the symbol at the center do not change.
A good way to see exactly which endpoints are used for a particular symmetry constraint, but don't you think the center portion of the symmetry constraint symbol should be aligned too?
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I compiled and tested your branch Abdullah, it seems to work well.

One though on the icon ...the two arrow heads are very close together at their tips so that they partly obscure the point they refer to, i wonder if it would look better if we moved them apart a bit more?

Jim
bejant

Postby bejant » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:54 am

jmaustpc wrote:the two arrow heads are very close together at their tips so that they partly obscure the point they refer to, i wonder if it would look better if we moved them apart a bit more?
I agree moving them apart slightly would help visibility, but of course I'm not the one doing any of the real work here...
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:34 am

One though on the icon ...the two arrow heads are very close together at their tips so that they partly obscure the point they refer to, i wonder if it would look better if we moved them apart a bit more?
If you would like to produce a 16x16 symmetry icon with more space in between the ><, I am more than happy to put them in the branch and show you the result.
I agree moving them apart slightly would help visibility, but of course I'm not the one doing any of the real work here...
We all are bejant!! The final result will be as good as the contributions of all those involved, including you. :)
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:46 pm

abdullah wrote: One though on the icon ...the two arrow heads are very close together at their tips so that they partly obscure the point they refer to, i wonder if it would look better if we moved them apart a bit more?

If you would like to produce a 16x16 symmetry icon with more space in between the ><, I am more than happy to put them in the branch and show you the result.
Oh right, yeah good point......I'll have a look into it, but I suspect I would have more chance of fitting a soccer team on a motorcycle! :)
DevJohan

Postby DevJohan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 pm

I had a look at this a while back and if I recall correctly, there is code for displaying "a" symmetry constraint where the non-icon constraints are setup for drawing. It should be a minor change to adapt this code to display the same way the icon is displayed.

That would allow for more leeway in designing the constraint.

EDIT: I saw the result of using the existing code is shown in the screenshot posted by nahshon