Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:05 pm I think I need some hand holding.
your file "rod.fcstd" is an Asm4 file, but the file "pendulum.fcstd" is not (I don't know wheter its Asm3 or Asm2+). So you probably created an Asm4 file, and then tried to assembly it with something else.

Please try to open the attached file "pendulum_Asm4" (in the same directory as "rod").

I tried to follow your instructions. I create the part with the new model macro. I create the assembly wih the new model macro; create the sketch with LCSs and import the part with the insert external part macro. When I try place the part, it highlights the part but I don't see the place linked part dialog box.
what workbench did you use ? In Asm4 there are no more macros, they should be toolbars now. You can try to download the Asm4 files (https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4) and move - or copy or link - the Mod_Asm4 folder to the folders where the workbenches are (oups, I use Linux, they are in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/). You should have the Asm4 workbench installed.
Attachments
pendulum_Asm4.FCStd
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:45 am

what workbench did you use ? In Asm4 there are no more macros, they should be toolbars now. You can try to download the Asm4 files (https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4) and move - or copy or link - the Mod_Asm4 folder to the folders where the workbenches are (oups, I use Linux, they are in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod/). You should have the Asm4 workbench installed.
I extracted assembly_v.04.zip and put the assemby4 folder in the mod folder of the assembly3 the branch of Freecad. I do not see a Mod_Asm4 folder in what I downloaded.

To try to place the inserted part I right click on the part in the tree and choose assembly in the popup menu and select place linked part in assembly. nothing happens. I was expecting the place linked part dialog.

Thanks again.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 am I extracted assembly_v.04.zip and put the assemby4 folder in the mod folder of the assembly3 the branch of Freecad. I do not see a Mod_Asm4 folder in what I downloaded.
ah, OK, v0.4 is now old, Ams4 is at 0.5.3. Could-you please download the latest 0.5.3 zip, extract it, place the Mod_Asm4 directory into your workbench directory, and try again ?

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4/
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

Hello again;

I have downloaded the latest version of assembly 4 and I am able to link parts. I tried to place the rod so it is the LCS pivot2 is attached to LCS_0 of the parent assembly the part did not get placed as I expected. Also, when I saved the assembly exited Freecad and reopened the files, I can not see the part rod. I made sure to open both files.

Thanks.
Attachments
rod.FCStd
(80.51 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
pend5.FCStd
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 pm Hello again;

I have downloaded the latest version of assembly 4 and I am able to link parts. I tried to place the rod so it is the LCS pivot2 is attached to LCS_0 of the parent assembly the part did not get placed as I expected. Also, when I saved the assembly exited Freecad and reopened the files, I can not see the part rod. I made sure to open both files.
hum, yes, there was somethin strange with the part "rod", it had a different icon also. I deleted and re-assembled it into the assembly, and now I think it works. Would you please check and tell if something is still wrong ? (you only need to place both files in the same directory and open "pend5.fcstd"
Attachments
pend5.FCStd
(13.22 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
rod.FCStd
(89.22 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

I would like to try assembly 4 but I'm having trouble getting it going. I downloaded FreeCAD-asm3-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20190703, FreeCAD_Assembly4-master and FreeCAD-LinkStage3. Extracted all three. I put Mod_Asm4 into the mod directory, started FreeCAD .19 in the bin directory. There is not an assembly 4 workbench in the dropdown. I'm not sure what to do with the FreeCAD-LinkStage3 files.
Are there step by step directions on how to get this going?

Thanks.
Dan
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hi, thanks for trying.

dan-miel wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am I would like to try assembly 4 but I'm having trouble getting it going. I downloaded FreeCAD-asm3-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20190703, FreeCAD_Assembly4-master and FreeCAD-LinkStage3. Extracted all three. I put Mod_Asm4 into the mod directory, started FreeCAD .19 in the bin directory. There is not an assembly 4 workbench in the dropdown. I'm not sure what to do with the FreeCAD-LinkStage3 files.
you seem to be doing everything correctly. I juste downloaded the Assembly4-master to be sure, and here it works as expected (I'm on Ubuntu Linux). Let's try to debug:

Do you see the Assembly 3 workbench in the drop-down menu ?
Do you have a way to start FreeCAD from the command line ? The output there could give valiable information about what goes wrong. Mine says:

Code: Select all

hubertz @ipag-9102 ~ > FreeCAD-asm3_v0.10.2.AppImage 
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAOWhNlu
FreeCAD 0.19, Libs: 0.19R16830 +1496 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2019
  #####                 ####  ###   ####  
  #                    #      # #   #   # 
  #     ##  #### ####  #     #   #  #   # 
  ####  # # #  # #  #  #     #####  #   # 
  #     #   #### ####  #    #     # #   # 
  #     #   #    #     #    #     # #   #  ##  ##  ##
  #     #   #### ####   ### #     # ####   ##  ##  ##

Sheet Metal workbench loaded
Loading Assembly 4 WorkBench
hubertz @ipag-9102 ~ > 

If you have FreeCAD-asm3 then you don't need FreeCAD-LinkStage3 (I believe those are the source files)
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

I'm using Windows 10.
Assembly 3 is in the drop down and it starts.
I started FreeCAD from the command line but no messages showed up.
As long as it sounds like I have the correct files I'll try it on my other computer and let you know if it works there. I had to reformat this drive a while back so if Assembly 4 needs more support files they may be missing.
Dan
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dan-miel wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am I put Mod_Asm4 into the mod directory, started FreeCAD .19 in the bin directory.
Ah, so I tested it on a Windows (7 Pro) and it works. But I have suddenly a question: where did you put (copy) the Mod_Asm4 directory ? Becasue there are 2 possible targets for the Mod directory :

1) the one that comes with FreeCAD-asm3, which is at D:/Applications/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-asm3_v0.10.2/Mod for me, and that contains the bin directory, one level up, from where I start FreeCAD.exe
2) the one with the standard Mod from the standard FreeCAD install, and which is at C:/Users/zhubert/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Mod for me.

I put the Mod_Asm4 in #2 and it works, may-be you did put it in #1 ? If that directory #2 doesn't exist, please try to install a workbench through the Add-On manager - by using FreeCAD-asm3 - and see where that workbench lands: that's where you should copy Mod_Asm4.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

I have not had much luck. I was trying it on my laptop which I reformatted and now I have tried my desktop. FreeCAD 18 shows the Assembly 4 program but FC19 does not show it. It did show up once when I had put both files into both Mod directories but after I removed the file from the FC19 directory it has not shown up again. I have attached pictures from the module dropdown and a picture of the files in the main (#2) mod directory. I changed the name to asm4 trying to get it to read.
Dan Miel
Windows 10 Pro
Dell T3500
Attachments
Main Mod Dir.JPG
Main Mod Dir.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 24697 times
ver19.JPG
ver19.JPG (35.48 KiB) Viewed 24697 times
Ver18.JPG
Ver18.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 24697 times