Partdesign - Keep a body used for a boolean cut?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cekuhnen

Partdesign - Keep a body used for a boolean cut?

Post by Cekuhnen »

I am trying to figure out how I could better sort my design tree in Part WB using RealThunder build.

Ideally the final bodies I would like to see top level
And all the boolean body tools being nested
In the image below you can see how the main bodies are hidden.
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.48.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.48.28 PM.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.48.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.48.24 PM.png (67.98 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
I know I could unhide them to make them visible in the 3D view but I would like to see them as stated being toplevel in the design tree.
I experimented with the Compound Filter but that seems rather abusing the tool.
Maybe what I am looking for in Part WB is a clone tool.
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.51.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.51.48 PM.png (83.81 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
File Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WUpCK- ... sp=sharing
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.615.24301 +3747 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: ecbfba008c481db4cb17bf8bd514b2d12690a8e5
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Partdesign - Keep a body used for a boolean cut?

Post by chrisb »

Split from the equally named topic and moved to Assembly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

Not using an assembly or join command ?!

Well technically speaking this design could be done in loose parts and assembled …
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You use the realthunder branch which is discussed in the Assembly forum. I don't think realthunder is watching all other forums too. If I remember correctly, we had the discussion about master vs. realthunder already :? .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

My question is related to part design and reusing the tool body after a Boolean operation. Specifically I asked about filter and visibility.

Not specific to real thunder or assembly.

The answer about filters would have been perfect addition to the original thread.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You explicitely asked for the realthunder build and you posted a screenshot showing it. Things may be different there, especially if it's about filter and visibility. It's possible that things are equal in master. Or in Fusion360. Or somewhere else. Who knows?

So please: ask questions using a branch in the appropriate place. Questions concerning master should be verified using the latest build of master as explained in the forum rules. Don't waste helpers time, they are not paid for fruitless discussions.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Cekuhnen I get it, it's confusing. There is FreeCAD master and there is LinkStage3/Assembly3. LinkStage3 is Realthunder's branch (some people are calling it a fork). He's also the author of the Assembly3 workbench which is another take on the obsolete existing Assembly workbench in FreeCAD. For convenience, Realthunder has bundled Assembly3 in to LinkStage3 but confusingly is asking users to download LinkStage3+Assembly3 from his Assembly3 github repository. Did that make sense? LOL

OK, so...because of the popularity of RT's branch there is an issue where his users are now seeking orientation about FreeCAD in the FreeCAD forum who most of the users are still using the FreeCAD master branch (especially some of the veterans). This creates a sort of culture clash + a moderation nightmare. The mods, to my knowledge, haven't made an official decision (maybe we should?) about dealing with this? What chrisb did wasn't to spite you but more to keep the forum organized (AFAICT).

Also the forum has exploded in growth in the last few years. This is has been a blessing and curse.And the mods and veterans get burnt-out from time to time, especially with the onslaught of users who believe that this or that CAD Solution du jour should be emulated in FreeCAD. If you stick around you'll see that FreeCAD has it's own brand and approach. Sure it's not hacked on by full-time devs like other programs that are proprietary, but it's making its way there. Nevertheless, the vitriol[1] that we experience sometimes hardens responses to users who have some legitimate observations. And along with that, there is a the opensource philosophy of jumping in and getting involved, that people don't always grok.

The resistance you may feel is not uncommon in the opensource world. There is this underdog mentality (not pathologizing, but trying to express a point) that opensource veterans sometimes are prone to. Try not to take it personally, because you will encounter it in almost every opensource community. And that would be a shame for you not to send your students to anything opensource based.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AemoQzCFHpc GIMP team member Pat David makes a great presentation on this subject

edit: typos
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs