Assembly constraints questions - AP2 workbench. [Solved}

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Laurie Hartley

Assembly constraints questions - AP2 workbench. [Solved}

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Is it essential to place constraints in an assembly?

I am currently putting an assembly together and when I edited one of its parts and then updated the imported parts in the assembly the parts “jumped” away from the positions I had constrained them to.

I have now positioned the parts using the “placement” xyz fields in the combo view and setting the “fixed position” to true.
As I intend to create an array of this assembly is there a potential downside to this approach?

I am away from my computer on an iPad so I can’t past my version info but I am using the latest appimage.
Last edited by Laurie Hartley on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Assembly constraints questions - AP2 workbench.

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:17 pm Moved to Assembly forum.
Thanks Chris
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am Is it essential to place constraints in an assembly?
In my opinion the constraints are not necessary. The main use of an assembly is that you can create a BOM from the separate part files. A part file (such as a microwave) can contain multiple parts or materials and in the assembly file of a kitchen the BOM will show one microwave. The microwave part file does not need to be constrained to show up on the BOM.
Constraints are there to help place the parts.
Dan
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

dan-miel wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:44 pm
Laurie Hartley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am Is it essential to place constraints in an assembly?
In my opinion the constraints are not necessary. The main use of an assembly is that you can create a BOM from the separate part files. A part file (such as a microwave) can contain multiple parts or materials and in the assembly file of a kitchen the BOM will show one microwave. The microwave part file does not need to be constrained to show up on the BOM.
Constraints are there to help place the parts.
Dan
Thanks for your response dan-miel. My assembly seems to be behaving itself.