Projection of a hole in Assembly 3

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
bambuko

Re: Projection of a hole in Assembly 3

Post by bambuko »

OK, I have simplified it a bit to make it easy to share.
Just an assembly of "brama" and "farmer".
Also - I have removed thread from holes in the "farmer" (makes it difficult to create round hole).

If you really insist on threaded holes, then you would need to sub-shapebind the sketch used to create them rather than the whole "farmer" body like I did in attached files....

Have a look at attached file and see if it works for you? - shout if you have any questions...

assy_files(bambuko).zip
(304.62 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
brama.png
brama.png (80.89 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Footz

Post by Footz »

Greetings
Ok, I see this assembly as couple of bodies and a standard use of shapebinder, which I understand :) This assembly looks a bit like Part container with bodies minus constraines from assembly 3. It also works beacuse it has at least one proper body(not link) which is beeing modified by the shapebinder.

As you saw my assembly consistst mainly of imported links, which don't permit as far as I know beeing activated (as you said - the parent is beeing activated) - so what can I do to make the same activity as you made in your simple assembly? Do I have to forsee which object will be modified in the future, and contruct subassemblies around one parent body each which will allow me modify them later?

Or better, construct "one file" assemblies without any links, just proper bodies?? That seems like the easiest way at the moment to do modifications using subshapebinder later on between them, even in assembly.
bambuko

Post by bambuko »

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm ...I see this assembly as couple of bodies and a standard use of shapebinder, which I understand :) ...
actually it is an assembly of - bodies and one link to external body.

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm ...This assembly looks a bit like Part container with bodies minus constraints...
Yes, that's what it is. Assembly 3 makes excellent container for sub-assemblies

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm ...It also works beacuse it has at least one proper body(not link) which is beeing modified by the shapebinder....
the alternative is introducing cyclic dependencies

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm...As you saw my assembly consistst mainly of imported links, which don't permit as far as I know being activated...
No. Below a pic of linked sub-assemblies with a body inside one (brama) activated...
active_body.png
active_body.png (76.58 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:03 pm... Do I have to foresee which object will be modified in the future, and construct subassemblies around one parent body each which will allow me modify them later? ...
Planning before is important, but modifying bodies inside assemblies is no issue. What is the problem is cycling dependencies.

I have done what you wanted i.e. an assembly file which contains nothing but the links to external sub-assemblies.
There is no problem in either toggling active one of the bodies in the linked sub-assembly or creating sub-shapebinder.
It all works fine until you save it and re-open it and then :evil: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/ ... 031bc4324c rears it's ugly head...
Until realthunder releases new release with the solution implemented we are buggered.

I am afraid link branch 3 is "experimental" ;)
Footz

Post by Footz »

Well I've tried to add another body via link to your assembly and tried to transfer it's feature onto another link (farmer) and again got "no active body" :twisted: The link won't let me activate it. Meybe that's the problem with my assembly, links assembled with other links and that's why I can't transfer features from one to another via subshapebinder at least that's what I think.

In your later example brama looks lika a body (no arrow icon) while the assembly is a link? Mayby that's different? because still when I try to activate a link in an assembly, only the parent in the separate file gets activated.

I see this issue from github was commited 2 weeks ago. Does it mean it will be added in the next daily of Realthunder?
bambuko

Post by bambuko »

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 pm Well I've tried to add another body via link to your assembly and tried to transfer it's feature onto another link (farmer) and again got "no active body" :twisted: The link won't let me activate it...
I have emailed you "picture book" of steps I use to link two subassemblies into one assembly and to use subshapebinder between parts inside this assembly.
I still get the warning after saving and re-opening, which I hope will be solved in the next release?

Footz wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 pm...I see this issue from github was commited 2 weeks ago. Does it mean it will be added in the next daily of Realthunder?
As far as I understand these thing - yes.
Footz

Post by Footz »

Ok, thanks for your patience and help. Really appreciate it.