What are the surplus LCS doing?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Batucada

What are the surplus LCS doing?

Post by Batucada »

Now I have just reached my second personal milestone of building a first practice project in an ASM4 environment. A fine thing with FreeCAD. I'm thrilled.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-11 um 19.53.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-11 um 19.53.22.png (135.9 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Finally, I have found out at which level the authoritative LCSs are to be created. However, questions still remain. One of them: what are the other LCSs useful for that are "hidden" elsewhere, such as LCS_C_Profile or LCS_Body_1?
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-11 um 20.47.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-11 um 20.47.12.png (70.45 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
A4-Uebung 4.FCStd
(125.7 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: What are the surplus LCS doing?

Post by chrisb »

Moved to assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Batucada wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:48 pm ...what are the other LCSs useful for that are "hidden" elsewhere, such as LCS_C_Profile or LCS_Body_1?
The default LCS at the Part container level is useful for assembly of a sub-assembly that may include several bodies.

The default LCS at the Body container level is useful for locating the first sketch which should be at a major assembly interface such as a mating flange, a piloting hole, etc. Any added LCS for any Body features such as holes should be at the Body level. You may find it convenient to attach the LCS or hole axis to the sketch that creates the feature for better Model stability.

The Part containers in your file are not necessary and quite undesirable if there are no sub-assemblies IMO.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

OK, thank you very much for your explanations. So I will keep the "superfluous" LCSs, then it will have its order to be kept when I'm ready to actually use them.
ppemawm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:20 am The Part containers in your file are not necessary and quite undesirable if there are no sub-assemblies IMO.
I have seen that it works without these part containers. But I will keep this practice as well, since I have just started a project in which several bodies belong to one component.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Batucada wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:08 pm So I will keep the "superfluous" LCSs
FYI if not aware, the "hidden" LCS's can be imported to another level using the Assembly4 Import Datum Object tool.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

ppemawm wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:24 pm FYI if not aware, the "hidden" LCS's can be imported to another level using the Assembly4 Import Datum Object tool.
Thank you for the information.
However, I am sure I may only know a marginal percentage of what is in FreeCAD. I will make an effort.