Part Design Roadmap

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Part Design Roadmap

Post by ickby »

CharlieMAC wrote:The link to git is broken. Could you guys fix it?
no. mostly because the code was merged into master a few hours ago and the branches are deleted now,
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ickby wrote:
no. mostly because the code was merged into master a few hours ago and the branches are deleted now,
:) Good reason not to fix it!

Yippee!
Fat-Zer

Post by Fat-Zer »

ickby wrote:no. mostly because the code was merged into master a few hours ago and the branches are deleted now,
wait, the whole new partdesign/assembly work was merged? without an additional test request? before the release?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

wait, the whole new partdesign/assembly work was merged? without an additional test request? before the release?
after the release. 0.16 has it's official release branch, builds are set up right now. So this is for 0.17 development only.

And yes, without test request. We are going to test it and iron it out in master. It is a development version after all.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

ickby wrote:We are going to test it and iron it out in master. It is a development version after all.
Nice quote!! :D
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

ickby wrote:
At the master, I see the PartDesign merged. So have they also merged our assembly code too? If so, then this is brilliant.

I also noticed that at the moment, CMakeLists.txt defaults to not build the assembly module. When is the good time to change the default to build the asssembly module? This will be the only way to let people test and debug the assembly module.
cox

Post by cox »

There is no new assembly code in master, as far as I understand the Part Design Next witch has just been merged, is a foundation for future assembly module. I have never tried to build the new Assembly code, as it has being stated here on the forum that it is not usable yet.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kcleung wrote:So have they also merged our assembly code too?
no
cox wrote:There is no new assembly code in master, as far as I understand the Part Design Next witch has just been merged, is a foundation for future assembly module. I have never tried to build the new Assembly code, as it has being stated here on the forum that it is not usable yet.
you are right.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

jmaustpc wrote:
kcleung wrote:So have they also merged our assembly code too?
no
cox wrote:There is no new assembly code in master, as far as I understand the Part Design Next witch has just been merged, is a foundation for future assembly module. I have never tried to build the new Assembly code, as it has being stated here on the forum that it is not usable yet.
you are right.
So is our assembly code compatible to the "Part Design Next" that is in the master?

And has the "Part Design Next" been merged into the assembly branch?

Also if I want to try out the assembly branch, could you please show the path of this branch again?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kcleung wrote:I also noticed that at the moment, CMakeLists.txt defaults to not build the assembly module.
Because the Assembly in master is an almost completely empty workbench ....has no functionality. Turning it on is pointless.
kcleung wrote:So is our assembly code compatible to the "Part Design Next" that is in the master?
Not really, its more accurate to say that Assembly does not exist yet, but when it does exist it will of course be compatible with PartDesign.
kcleung wrote:And has the "Part Design Next" been merged into the assembly branch?
Yes, it has. It is as a first step towards getting Assembly. First we will make PDnext usable quality code....then at some yet to be determined future point in time, we will start on Assembly again.
kcleung wrote:Also if I want to try out the assembly branch, could you please show the path of this branch again?
That would be pointless, unless you are intending to write code and even then, see above, ...we need to tidy up PDnext first.

There was some early work, partly functional, in a development branch, but it was based on FreeCAD from 4 years ago, hence totally useless, some of the guys updated it somewhat but development kept stalling, the work involved in just keeping it up to date with master was nearly impossible.

Native FreeCAD Assembly is a huge, deep and potentially disruptive update that goes deep into the FreeCAD core. It is not just a Python add on.

So for now, forget native FreeCAD Assembly for a while, if you want to hurry up Assembly then first help finish "PD next".