Workspace (or how to call it)

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Workspace (or how to call it)

Post by triplus »

ickby wrote:If a part is moved the things contained in it shall not change, as they are defined in the local coordinate system defined by the part. Everything is correct, they change their global placement without doing any change in their placement property. The problem is only that currently tools do not recognize the notion of local coordinate systems. Hence they must be made aware.
That is why the term Coordinate System was proposed. As you can easily explain what it is all about:

Body = (local) Coordinate System
Part = (local) Coordinate System containing other (local) Coordinate System(s)

Such feature would i guess easily scale to other workbenches. And making the BOA commands aware of (local) Coordinate System therefore will need to happen for both Part and PartDesign set of BOA commands. That is why i asked if it wouldn't make more sense to just reuse the Part workbench ones. And to work on them only.
DeepSOIC wrote:Workspace isn't in tree!!
I would argue it is. As selection/placement is a tree facing/related thing. Note that i am not saying it does or it doesn't make sense. I am just saying its main purpose on why you want to implement it will be reflected in the tree. ;)

P.S. I would vote for trying to "negotiate" one more time if "limitations" of Body could be lifted in a way Workspace API wouldn't be needed. Each side should i guess forget about minor use-cases and focus on the predominate ones. I am guessing the biggest challenges are "single-solid" and "cross-linking"? Can consensus be reached and for both sides to settle with the same concept of Body suitable for FreeCAD 0.17? That would be splendid.