Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by easyw-fc »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 pm I have Creo 4.0 on my system but have not done this before(Sorry lost track in this thread). If you point me to the file and walk me through this on Creo i can attempt it Monday.
This is the 1GB file to test by ProE:
Barreleye G2 3D STP-20170310-detailed zipped
brave tester are welcome! :D
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 pm I have Creo 4.0 on my system but have not done this before(Sorry lost track in this thread). If you point me to the file and walk me through this on Creo i can attempt it Monday.
This is the 1GB file to test by ProE:
Barreleye G2 3D STP-20170310-detailed zipped
brave tester are welcome! :D
Thanks. You also want some measurements done on this in Creo. How do I do those. I guess you want my machine info as well.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm Thanks. You also want some measurements done on this in Creo. How do I do those. I guess you want my machine info as well.
If possible:
- approx loading time
- rotation handling responsibility
- your processor, GPU, memory details

Thx
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:42 am New bug fix version released, with the above mentioned new settings.
New performance with the 200MB model ... live screencast! :D
new-performance.gif
new-performance.gif (756.34 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:43 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm Thanks. You also want some measurements done on this in Creo. How do I do those. I guess you want my machine info as well.
If possible:
- approx loading time

Thx
Ok but where do I get the first two measurements from?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:43 pm
If possible:
- approx loading time

Thx
Ok but where do I get the first two measurements from?
1) loading time... I don't know Creo .. if it is not scriptable, the only way is to get start time, click 'load' the model and check time by time if the model is loaded ;)
2) handling responsibility is also a perceiving feedback... you can see my previous post to watch what can be done now in FC
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/file.php?id=61160
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:33 am There is one thing that is sometimes really slow. The measurement tool for distance and the FCInfo macro to calculate the part volume and weight. If you are intested, I could send you some customer files (top-secret) via PM.
I can certainly take a loo, but not now. I'll be concentrating on the upstream merging stuff now, already behind schedule.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New minor feature release

Three new options added to STEP importer.

ShowProgress: whether to show progress during import stage.

ReduceObjects: whenever there are instances of the same object within the same hierarchy, replace them with a single Link array. This option works particularly well with the PCB models posted by easyw-fc, because all the duplicated pads are nicely grouped, and the import time can be cut down by half. However, it will slightly change the hierarchy (although, I think the hierarchy works better this way), which is why this option is off by default.

ExpandCompound: expand compound shape if it contains multiple solids. I suspect this is the critical option to DISABLE when loading large and geometrically complex models.

Anyway, when I tried the 1G monster file with ReduceObjects ON, and ExpandCompound OFF, I was able to load the file in only about 1000 seconds. And import time is around 300 seconds. But my graphics card is completely overwhelmed, which takes almost 20 seconds to render one frame. Those of you have a proper graphics card can give it a try.

Edit: forgot to mention. I do have 16GB ram, and FC consumed more than 6GB at the peak for this file. So I think 8GB machines will have a hard time with this.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 pm New minor feature release

ReduceObjects: whenever there are instances of the same object within the same hierarchy, replace them with a single Link array. This option works particularly well with the PCB models posted by easyw-fc, because all the duplicated pads are nicely grouped, and the import time can be cut down by half. However, it will slightly change the hierarchy (although, I think the hierarchy works better this way), which is why this option is off by default.

ExpandCompound: expand compound shape if it contains multiple solids. I suspect this is the critical option to DISABLE when loading large and geometrically complex models.

Anyway, when I tried the 1G monster file with ReduceObjects ON, and ExpandCompound OFF, I was able to load the file in only about 1000 seconds. And import time is around 300 seconds. But my graphics card is completely overwhelmed, which takes almost 20 seconds to render one frame. Those of you have a proper graphics card can give it a try.

Edit: forgot to mention. I do have 16GB ram, and FC consumed more than 6GB at the peak for this file. So I think 8GB machines will have a hard time with this.
Testing result with a 16GB RAM, GTX965M GPU card and i7 quad cores 8 threads (it is a gaming PC, good for CAD ;) ):
Full loading time with the suggested options (ReduceObjects ON, and ExpandCompound OFF): 1355sec
and here the responsiveness
monster-1GB-model.gif
monster-1GB-model.gif (821.56 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
moster-1GB-rotating.gif
moster-1GB-rotating.gif (888.78 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

I'm impressed! :shock: :D 8-)

EDIT:
should the 'Enable STEP Compound Merge' option still be needed/used?
EDIT2
It can be useful for old importer compatibility
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

realthunder wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 pm New minor feature release

How did you get the name "realthunder" :D
Good job!