Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nrk

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by nrk »

First off, thank you Sooo much for all of your work. I have used Pro-E and Solidworks in my job in the past and have been trying to use your module and learn how it works.

I really like your idea of links, it's a stroke of genius.
I have found the current version of your workbench a little too buggy to use for making an assembly atm.... but no biggy, I'm sure that will improve...
Some of the bugs I have noticed is I make a part with your bench and then I reopen the file later and the names of the edges and geometry the part uses to create features change and the parts error out.
My assembly has constraint errors and I can't seem to figure out what to change to fix them.

I really struggle with understanding some of the concepts you put forward. I'm not sure what the difference between a part and body is and which should I use to make an assembly. I think most of my problems come from a general lack of freecad knowledge, but this thing is pretty complicated. I don't expect you to answer any of my questions, I know you are busy and doing good work, just wanted to give you a new users perspective. I do think a good youtube tutorial will come in handy, perhaps I will make one if I figure it out....Anyway, I thought I would post and thank you for your work.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

jpg87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm Hello everyone,
Sorry for my late response ...
easyw-fc wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:27 pm Very nice!
you can use this macro that @realthunder gave me, to convert the A3 assembly into an 'old style' Part assembly.
Thank you. I tested the macro, but for several levels of assembly, there are malfunctions.

realthunder wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 pm That is most likely a bug. I'd appreciate if you can post a file to demonstrate this problem. Or, since the problem is gone after reopen the file, maybe recall the steps triggering this problem.
I took part of my assembly and made a test tutorial that I join in pdf with the concerned FC files.
The problems I have reported begin with the actions described in paragraphs 43-44.
I made this tutorial essay to try to create a little more enthusiasm among my French compatriots for your excellent work.
If testers want to validate it or make comments, I'll be delighted.

...you can change the 'BuildShape' property of an assembly to 'Compound', and then TechDraw will have no problem with it.
I have the same problem with the macro: for several levels of assembly, there are malfunctions.

triplus wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 pm Nice.
Thank you. If you want to test my tutorial essay ...

FC Files : https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhzczm52ekc59 ... 3.zip?dl=0
Besides kudos for helping Realthunder with his outstanding work, I think you would be great a helping to write a FreeCAD manual. This is the layout style virtually everyone is use to in CAD books. THANK YOU :D
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

nrk wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 am First off, thank you Sooo much for all of your work. I have used Pro-E and Solidworks in my job in the past and have been trying to use your module and learn how it works.

I really like your idea of links, it's a stroke of genius.
Thanks for the appreciation.
Some of the bugs I have noticed is I make a part with your bench and then I reopen the file later and the names of the edges and geometry the part uses to create features change and the parts error out.
That sounds like a serious problem. Can you please post the file with this error? Are you making the part using Part or PartDesign workbench? It is probably related to the new topological naming stuff not restored properly.
I really struggle with understanding some of the concepts you put forward. I'm not sure what the difference between a part and body is and which should I use to make an assembly. I think most of my problems come from a general lack of freecad knowledge, but this thing is pretty complicated. I don't expect you to answer any of my questions, I know you are busy and doing good work, just wanted to give you a new users perspective. I do think a good youtube tutorial will come in handy, perhaps I will make one if I figure it out....Anyway, I thought I would post and thank you for your work.
Yeah, video with instruction is probably a better form of tutorial. I think I'll make some in the future. Meanwhile, you just post any file causing any trouble, I can take a look.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jpg87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm Thank you. I tested the macro, but for several levels of assembly, there are malfunctions.
I have the same problem with the macro: for several levels of assembly, there are malfunctions.
FC Files : https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhzczm52ekc59 ... 3.zip?dl=0
It is interesting also to note that when exporting the Assembly to STEP, the exported file behaves wrongly as the one in the macro (also when imported in a different STEP reader).
step-exporting-importing.png
step-exporting-importing.png (362.32 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Might this be related to the issue i talked about on page 54 in this thread where 0 degree and 90 degree angle constraints would resolve and render different solutions for the same set of constraints?
see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=536
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

fosselius wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 pm Might this be related to the issue i talked about on page 54 in this thread where 0 degree and 90 degree angle constraints would resolve and render different solutions for the same set of constraints?
jpg87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm Thank you. I tested the macro, but for several levels of assembly, there are malfunctions.
The culprit seems related to the way of calculation of the shape of Links placement.
Here a subset of the jpg87 assembly, without everything but one Link object... doing a single copy of the Link, will generate a copy with different placement (tested w/ A3-0.67).
asm3_essai_link_minimum.FCStd
(6.31 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
a3-link-placement.png
a3-link-placement.png (178.74 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
jhk1968

Post by jhk1968 »

Postby realthunder » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:57 am

jhk1968 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm
Can annyone point out where I have to read in the instruction manual ore anywhere else or what I have to do to keep the relationchip between the separate part model and the assembly ?

You can follow this tutorial to find out how to create assembly with external parts.

thanks for the support ! Also the donut button was not forgotten.
Regards
Jörg
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

realthunder wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 amI am actually curious of how other CAD can handle the subtle problem...
I PMed you a file with screenshots and some info about AutoDesk Invertor assemblies.

If I have enough time tomorrow, I'll get SolidWorks screenshots.
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

jhk1968 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:04 pm thanks for the support ! Also the donut button was not forgotten.
Regards
Jörg
Thanks for the support!
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New version released.

Added new core command for box element selection. Similar as existing box selection, but can select sub elements.

Fixed the problems reported so far.

I have started a new thread discussing merging upstream with my branch.

jpg87 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm ping
The component mis-placement problem you encountered is related to body shape transformation bug, introduced probably around 0.6.1. It's been fixed now. There is one thing you need to be aware, though. Body view object has a property called DisplayModeBody. When you set it to Tip, which you did in elast_masselottes, you will be displaying the shape stored in Body directly. Any constrain you create will be using geometry element on Body directly, instead of its child feature. This is not recommended right now, because the shape is prone to change. I will improve asm3 in this regard, but at the moment, it is better to stick with the default 'Through' display mode. The fix of body transformation bug affects your assembly. I have fixed it, and you can download it here