Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by freedman »

by realthunder » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm
Can you please try on your desktop and see if you also has this problem when mouse over highlight is enabled?
I tried Assembly3 on my desktop and mouse-over works fine, everything is good. So it is this Dell-Latitude being different for some reason.

Some comments on Assy3: I know you want to merge this so I have some thoughts. If I were in charge and I saw 30 new buttons to use and test, that's alot to take on. It might be better to have a test platform with only a few basic constraints. This way many tests can be preformed and trails can be limited to how stable and how well the basics of the platform work. I read one post that talked about placing many buttons in a pull-down menu, I don't think thats the right idea, a simple testing platform that you can continue to incorporate with the current version, that's my vision. Once the merge occurs many constraints could be added.
I know most pros here have used high-end 3d modelers and they have 4 or 5 buttons for constraints, you have 20+, they might see that as a weakness. Maybe it's better, I can't say yet.

I will post my project here when finished so maybe that will help. Folks like to see examples.

Thanks for your efforts.
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

I set on to test the constraints of grid and cubes (bases) as per your suggestion (@realthunder) with the 25 links. However, I found out, that in the scenario I created, it is not possible to select same objects (lines, faces,...) on different links at the same time.
I don't know what's different from the Cube Test we look at before, because it was working there.

So here is example, if I try to select same faces, only 1st appears in selection view:
Selection0.PNG
Selection0.PNG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
It kind of shows up as selected in the model view, but then grays back out. It is never displayed in the selection view panel.

While, if I select different objects in the links, they are displayed all-right and appear in the selection panel:
Selection1.PNG
Selection1.PNG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
I noticed similar behaviour in the past: I wasn't able to select faces. I thought that something got broken up in the FC instance and restarted FreeCAD to get it working, but I wasn't paying 100% attention to be sure, that the issue was resolved this way. It might be, that this problem is not related to links only (since I test them only last month or so), but might be a wider issue in Assembly3 or even FreeCAD 0.18.

Here is a cube-test for comparison. I did this in the same instance of FreeCAD and everything is working fine:
SelectionCubeTest.png
SelectionCubeTest.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Notice, that all links have "Face6" selected.

I am attaching the assembly with concrete base zipped.

Obviously, I have the latest Assembly3 build: FreeCAD-asm3-20180630-e6c14b62-f5dd9d4-Win64.
Attachments
P1.zip
(449.03 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OakLD wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:21 pm I set on to test the constraints of grid and cubes (bases) as per your suggestion (@realthunder) with the 25 links. However, I found out, that in the scenario I created, it is not possible to select same objects (lines, faces,...) on different links at the same time.
Yes, this is a bug. Thanks for reporting. And I have already fixed it.

As for your specific task here. I have implemented a new feature called constraint multiplication. It can auto expand the first part array to match the second onwards elements, and if those elements are circular edge, it can auto include all coplanar circular edges of the same radius.

Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

That's impressive.
Besides just doing stuff, what's the best way to learn to use Assy3? Are there any videos?

Thanks
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:44 am That's impressive.
Besides just doing stuff, what's the best way to learn to use Assy3? Are there any videos?

Thanks
You can check out the tutorials here. And an introduction of common constraints here. Once I get the big features done, I'll update the documents, probably the end of next month.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
efyx

Post by efyx »

realthunder wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 am
Is it possible in your workbench to do "width" mate https://youtu.be/trYB_81ON1g?t=1m48s or symmetric https://youtu.be/2vU2T7T6GwQ?t=21s ? If not is it possible that you will add this?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

efyx wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am
Is it possible in your workbench to do "width" mate https://youtu.be/trYB_81ON1g?t=1m48s or symmetric https://youtu.be/2vU2T7T6GwQ?t=21s ? If not is it possible that you will add this?
The symmetric mate should be easy. I can add it, sure. There is already a point symmetric constraint asm3, plane symmetric can be achieved by adding a second point on the normal vector. The width mate seems not that straight forward though. They are basically using two planes to determine the center plane (probably using equal angle?), and then use a plane alignment on the two derived center planes. I'll think about that.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am
efyx wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am
The symmetric mate should be easy. I can add it, sure. There is already a point symmetric constraint asm3, plane symmetric can be achieved by adding a second point on the normal vector. The width mate seems not that straight forward though. They are basically using two planes to determine the center plane (probably using equal angle?), and then use a plane alignment on the two derived center planes. I'll think about that.
Here are the mates that Solidworks 2018 uses for additional reference:
http://help.solidworks.com/2018/english ... SWassy.htm
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

And an introduction of common constraints here.
Wow! That review by jpg87 is great. Good way to learn capabilities.

Just want to ask a couple broad questions, these might seem extreme at this point in the developement. Just curious what you think ...

If all the solids were designed in "Part Design", could we:

1) do a whole car perhaps.

2) do something like a fully functional elevator shaft. Details like a spooled cable reel and cable (cable could be tough), spring operated assemblies that apply pressure like a shock absorber, spring latches that move when they can, trip switches.

This really looks good. Thank you for this, what an effort.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I'm not a fan of fancy mates.
Mp experiance is that the software become less stable
D prefer ldttle more work than crashes