Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

fosselius wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 am Can make screencast later today.
Please also attach a sample file if possible

Are these body inside a subassembly? The default behavior of asm3 mover is to move part in the context of the top level assembly. If the body3 is inside a subassembly, you can select the body3 as usual, and then ctrl select its parent assembly (body2?), then click mover button. This tells the mover to move in context of a specific sub assembly.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

realthunder wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am
This is a simple asm with a few parts, no sub asm, or Parts, or nesting. Pretty much the basic usecase. A few geometries and constraints. started seeing this a release or two ago, mentioned it then as well: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=820

Will also try your prebuilt release as well to make sure its nothing local on my machine.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

realthunder wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 am
I think the move tools is the core issue for me..
asmMove.gif
asmMove.gif (171.54 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
asmMove2.gif
asmMove2.gif (171.9 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

fosselius wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 am I think the move tools is the core issue for me..
Can you attach a file showing the problem? I can't reproduce it with the last released AppImage.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

My bad. Was based on my outdated linkstage3 fork. Have now synced my fork and are rebuilding..
It works fine for me as well with the latest app image.
saltoTest.gif
saltoTest.gif (176.31 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

I experience some dejavu effects in assemblies tested in ASM3. I'd attach the ZIP file of this shed structure, but it's too large for this forum (circa 2,5MB).
ShedDeJavue.PNG
ShedDeJavue.PNG (120.61 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Some set's of parts in one of the sub-assembly (shown above) are shown twice for no obvious reason. They are not entered twice, they have no representation in the tree. Also, I have no idea why whole sets of parts (3, 3 and 4).

When inherited in parent assembly, they dissapear and it looks correctly:
ParentAssy.PNG
ParentAssy.PNG (96.52 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
However, when I wanted to place it into drawing area, I had to do PartWB: Part --> Create Copy --> Create Simple Copy and new display problems with the very same parts appear, which even persist into drawing area:
PartSimpleCopy.PNG
PartSimpleCopy.PNG (80.57 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Notice, that this time the original parts are missing, only parts in wrong position are shown.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot it and fix the issues?
Regards,

Oak
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

OakLD wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:11 pm but it's too large for this forum (circa 2,5MB).
One trick I'm using is:
  1. Go to Github and open an issue (in any repository)
  2. Drag and drop your attachment into the issue text area, let Github upload the attachment
  3. Share that link
  4. You can dispose that issue on Github
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

ceremcem wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:24 pm One trick I'm using is:
  1. Go to Github and open an issue (in any repository)
  2. Drag and drop your attachment into the issue text area, let Github upload the attachment
  3. Share that link
  4. You can dispose that issue on Github
Thank you for your advice. I set up an account, created an issue in Realthunders Assembly3 project and hopefully, here is a valid link:
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... ahrDom.zip
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OakLD wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 pm Thank you for your advice. I set up an account, created an issue in Realthunders Assembly3 project and hopefully, here is a valid link:
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... ahrDom.zip
Thanks for reporting. There are two problems. The Part simple copy bug has already been fixed in my branch. The second visibility problem is harder to deal with. Notice that in your attached file, you have already hide the Assembly object, but it is still showing in 3D view. Those shown in 3d view are not from the Assembly, but the part links themselves. The problem occurs when other non-asm3 code operate on parts inside an assembly, and changes its visibility property. This is really confusing to the end user, and hard to explain. I must find a solution for this.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

realthunder wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm The second visibility problem is harder to deal with.
The visibility problem may be very hard to realize but it's very easy to work around once you suspected: See "Quick workaround": https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... -356300913

realthunder wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:58 pm This is really confusing to the end user, and hard to explain. I must find a solution for this.
Could we somehow help on this? One way is to serve as a rubberduck (as http://rubberduckdebugging.com suggests) at least. IMO, the solution will shine once you (could?) explained the problem to me (us). (In other words, I won't do anything other than listening :) )
Last edited by ceremcem on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.