Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
julierme.silva

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby julierme.silva » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:57 am

Realthunder, thanks for the help you have given to the questions.
I studied your observations.

I'm currently having an error in Assembly3 when using a Construction Line (blue line) from a Sketch file, to create an Element.

The steps I am following to perform this procedure are described in the image below.
:arrow: Open image in New Tab for expansive.

I followed the Assembly 3 tutorial made available in this and link: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... n-assembly

The following video shows the error that occurs when I follow the steps described in the image above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxU0sLxcc-k

Link to the project files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Where is the error in performing this action?
Last edited by julierme.silva on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M4x

Postby M4x » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:01 pm

realthunder wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:26 pm
M4x wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:35 am
I'm currently working on an assembly where I've mainly used PlaneCoicident to constrain the assembly. Now I've discovered, that all constraints which I'd used changed to Locked!
Wow, that is one bizarre problem you are having there, and serious, too! I can't image how this could have happened! Any details can you remember when this happened? Have you manually changed any constraint type before?

Is it possible to send me both version of your files?
Thank you for your fast reply!

Yes, I was very surprised too. I think I once marked several constraints and changed there offset at once. This was just a test, maybe I undid my steps (CTRL + Z) and continued to work with this file. But I can't say for sure. I tried to reproduce this behavior but wasn't successful. The backup from 2020-08-03 was the last time I've worked on this project until I picked it up at the end of October. The first backup is from 2020-10-28. That's why I think the described error happened in the end of October. Which is especially weird because I worked in TechDraw pages first and discovered the described changes only because I came back to the assembly to add something.

I've just published the final project (learning tower - furniture for children (woodworking, Assembly3) / GitLab Repository) and I'll send you a PM with a link to the files I've talked about in my initial post in a few seconds.

edit: I've made changes to the file which holds the components. These components are linked into the assembly file using App_Link. I'll send you backups closest to the known working / not working assembly backup dates.
jpg87

Postby jpg87 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm

julierme.silva wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:57 am
Where is the error in performing this action?
Hi,
I think the sketch needs to be closed to select an entity from it. So the sketch segment must not be a construction line, otherwise it is no longer visible when the sketch is closed.
I would create another sketch in the XZ plane, then either a carbon copy of the previous sketch or some projected exterior geometries, then complete with the center line.
Teste_assembly3_FCmaster.FCStd
(21.83 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Teste_assembly3_FClinkBranch.FCStd
(25.02 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Information for
realthunder wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:39 am
It seems that the CarbonCopy of the Daily 12-11 version has a problem.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2020/12/05
julierme.silva

Postby julierme.silva » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:40 pm

jpg87 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm

I would create another sketch in the XZ plane, then either a carbon copy of the previous sketch or some projected exterior geometries, then complete with the center line.
Hello, jpg87. Thanks for your reply!

Your observation makes perfect sense.
This morning, in Brazilian time, I did exactly what you noticed. I needed to create a second sketch containing a Geometric Line (white line), aided by a Carbon Copy.
However, I found it strange because in the tutorial version of Realthunder he managed to create an Element from a Construction Line (blue line) and I couldn't.
Anyway, this problem is my mistake or is it a small bug in this version of Assembly 3? :?:

Final result of this new approach:
:arrow: Open image in New Tab for expansive.
Last edited by julierme.silva on Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:48 am

jpg87 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:44 pm
It seems that the CarbonCopy of the Daily 12-11 version has a problem.
Indeed. I'll fix it soon.

julierme.silva wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:40 pm
However, I found it strange because in the tutorial version of Realthunder he managed to create an Element from a Reference Line (blue line) and I couldn't.
Anyway, this problem is my mistake or is it a small bug in this version of Assembly 3?
Accessing construction/external geometry outside of sketch edit mode is only available in my branch. You can download it here. You can do exactly what's shown in the tutorial page.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
julierme.silva

Postby julierme.silva » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 am

realthunder wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:48 am
Accessing construction/external geometry outside of sketch edit mode is only available in my branch. You can download it here. You can do exactly what's shown in the tutorial page.
I understand. Very cool.
I'll look at your branch.

Do you intend to incorporate this functionality in the next stable version of Assembly 3 that is already available in FreeCAD updates? :?:

My FreeCAD settings:
Version: 0.19
Revision Number: 22894 (Git)
Release date: 2020/10/31
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:14 am

julierme.silva wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 am
Do you intend to incorporate this functionality in the next stable version of Assembly 3 that is already available in FreeCAD updates? :?:
This requires FC core support. It will be available in FC 0.20.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am

realthunder wrote:
Accessing construction/external geometry outside of sketch edit mode is only available in my branch.
I think that the very principle of a construction geometry in a sketch is that it is NOT available outside of the sketch. It's not a bug but a feature, and it's like this in all CAD systems.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
C_h_o_p_i_n

Postby C_h_o_p_i_n » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:35 am

Zolko wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am
realthunder wrote:
Accessing construction/external geometry outside of sketch edit mode is only available in my branch.
I think that the very principle of a construction geometry in a sketch is that it is NOT available outside of the sketch. It's not a bug but a feature, and it's like this in all CAD systems.
But ... if you never leave the usual way ... you'll never come to a place were you haven't been before ;-)

Regrads,
Stefan
-alex-

Postby -alex- » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 am

Zolko wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 am
That's not correct, in some CAD system you can select construction lines from outside a visible sketch then use it to make an Xref. for eg.
That's not possible in FC master for now and IMHO this is a drawback.
Construction lines should be visible from outside the sketch, by using dashed line for eg. instead of continuous blue line.