Direction sensibility in the 3D space

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jc0022

Direction sensibility in the 3D space

Post by jc0022 »

Hello, I am faced with what seem to me to be errors in the naming of dimensions in the 3D space in FreeCAD.

Please consider the screen snip:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (30.13 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
WRT "Front" and "Top", the remaining visible side of the view cube is the Left side of the object, but the View Cube calls it the Right. Why is this? Maybe there is a concept I am missing.

Separate from this, and more concerning to me, is that when I put in the overall Length, Width, and Height of my part for a basic shape to begin whittling, the Width dimension illustrated in the screenshot turns out to be the dimension going from the Front to Back of the View Cube -- what we normally call the Length of an object, from front to back. The Length input parameter in the Combo Box adjusts the dimension which the View Cube refers to as spanning from Right to Left -- what we normally call the width of an object. Why is this?

Thank you for your help.
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Direction sensibility in the 3D space

Post by bambuko »

jc0022 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:11 am ...Thank you for your help.
an explanation of why it is the way it is (whether you think it makes sense or not):
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p436747

Mods, can I suggested it be moved to:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=3

P.S.
it can all be customised to suit your needs and preferences as well...
(but that is another story)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
jc0022

Post by jc0022 »

Unfortunately this is such a significant warning sign that I decided I cannot afford a free program, I will have to use a paid one. I am unhappy about it because I believe in and have contributed to open source, but a sane user experience is a core value for me.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

jc0022 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 pm Unfortunately this is such a significant warning sign that I decided I cannot afford a free program...
Your money and your choice...
but I haven't got a clue what are you talking about :roll:

jc0022 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:54 pm .... sane user experience is a core value for me...
:lol: good luck with whatever you choose

Screenshot from 2022-05-29 07.21.13.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-29 07.21.13.png (32.36 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

As a professional CAD user with 12 year experience in 8 different cad programs, I have to say that what you want makes absolutely no sense. And if you want to work in any CAD program and especially the more expensive ones like pro/e and Catia you have to do what the program wants you to do, if you do not this you will absolutely hate every CAD program you use. Freecad at least you can change to your liking, other CAD programs don't care about single users, unless you are #10000 that complained.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

MisterMaker wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:15 am As a professional CAD user with 12 year experience in 8 different cad programs...
Outsiders and those with no formal education in the subject, often bring new/fresh outlook and ideas, so I welcome the questions from @jc0022

Myself (with over 30 years of professional CAD experience :P ) have asked similar questions (in the linked thread), because it has suited my individual needs.

Beauty of FreeCAD (as you say) is that, with the help of forumites I was able to achieve exactly what I wanted :ugeek:
Try that with (enter the name of commercial CAD package of your choice).

I have no illusions about the issues FreeCAD still has, but I am happy camper in my retirement :mrgreen: using FreeCAD
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Nothing wrong with the question but the reply after the answer was what I was replying at.
But might overreacted a bit since this is the internet and these comments tent to happen once in a while. (They still get me once in a while like now :x )
Nothing too see here.
Lets focus on more import matters.