Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

RDA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 am Would you mind giving the shortcut thing a try with the same path I have? Im sure if you get the "Windows cant create a shortcut here. Do you want to place the shortcut to the desktop instead?" you will know whats going on.
I tried that, and yes it does complain about the shortcut. This is expected as Windows has access control for writing inside system folder 'Program Files', although I don't have problem running the program with the long folder name. Maybe the access control is the cause of your problem. Can you simply try extracting the 7zip archive to other place and run from it?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Chaosred

Post by Chaosred »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:34 pm
Chaosred wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 am I can download it, I just can't install it.
No installation required. On Windows, just extract the 7zip archive to any directory and run bin/FreeCADLink.exe.
This is a little embarrassing, but I can't figure out how to run this.Image
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

I don't know if it is mentioned before, but the latest "selection behavior" is totally-freaking-awesome!

When I need to select a geometry which I can not visually reach, I select anywhere on that part. Rest of the model becomes visually semi-transparent and physically transparent; so I can rotate the model and select whatever geometry I wanted.

Is that behavior documented yet?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Chaosred wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:22 pm This is a little embarrassing, but I can't figure out how to run this.Image
Are you using Windows? You'll need to install 7zip. Once installed, right click the 7z file you have downloaded, and choose 7-Zip -> Extract here. It will extract the archive into a folder of the same name. Go into that folder, and go into another folder inside called 'bin', then find the FreeCADLink.exe file and double click.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

ceremcem wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 pm Is that behavior documented yet?
The hidden edge selection has existed for quite some time. But previously it requires you to hold the 'SHIFT' key. This behavior is now controlled by a setting in Preference - > Draw style -> Hidden line selection. By default, no need to hold the SHIFT key. You still need to hold the SHIFT key to select the back face. To select middle face, hold SHIFT and use mouse wheel. Or, try the 'G, G' shortcut for hidden geometry selection.
RDA

Post by RDA »

realthunder wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:00 am
RDA wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 am Would you mind giving the shortcut thing a try with the same path I have? Im sure if you get the "Windows cant create a shortcut here. Do you want to place the shortcut to the desktop instead?" you will know whats going on.
I tried that, and yes it does complain about the shortcut. This is expected as Windows has access control for writing inside system folder 'Program Files', although I don't have problem running the program with the long folder name. Maybe the access control is the cause of your problem. Can you simply try extracting the 7zip archive to other place and run from it?
Sorry maybe I wasnt clear with my message.

With the long path you cant make a shortcut, with the short one you can, so I still believe its somehting to do with the path.

I got it to work so I am fine. Im just telling if this is something that someone will find interesting. I still believe the original issue with error messages about missing files, could be related to some previous session saved states/settings type of thing. As I dont know how and where things like last opened part info is stored, I can only do guess work.
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:36 am

I'm having a small problem with asm3 in the latest daily Linkstage3 branch. In the attached file, if I try to change the element count of a assembly part FC will crash. This doesn't happen if the element count is modified prior to dragging the body inside the assembly. Unfortunately the terminal reports only this when it crashes "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault." and nothing else.
elementCount.jpeg
elementCount.jpeg (213.52 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
BR
Attachments
assembly.zip
(82.12 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Hi Friends,
I have been using Assembly4 for a while, but now I want to try Assembly3/LinkStage3. Are there any tutorials on how to animate assemblies in Asm3?

Thank you.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mnesarco wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 pm Hi Friends,
I have been using Assembly4 for a while, but now I want to try Assembly3/LinkStage3. Are there any tutorials on how to animate assemblies in Asm3?

Thank you.
There are some tutorials on the asm3 wiki page. There are also some better ones available in jpg8's website. For animation, you can consult the attached script in this post.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:59 pm There are some tutorials on the asm3 wiki page. There are also some better ones available in jpg8's website. For animation, you can consult the attached script in this post.
Thank you @realthunder. BTW You are doing a great job, thank you man.