Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:33 pm https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/ ... it.py#L124
That was part of a previous attempt to solve name-clashes.
I see. That's why it works at the Mod in build directory, but not at home.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 am Thank you so much for your work. Is it useable with Freecad 0.17?
Unfortunately, no. You'll need to build my branch at https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/LinkStage3
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

DeepSOIC wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 am The gyroscopic mover and shaker of death is back!!

Jokes aside, WOW :shock: :o
How do I make it work on Win, I wonder...
Will try on Windows soon. This the reason why I haven't submit any PR to SolveSpace folks yet. Gotta try on Windows first.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sorry, I was wrong. I thought ModDIR refers to .FreeCAD/Mod but it does not. The line isn't different in FreeCAD/master. No idea whats causing your local build to work with importing directly from .FreeCAD/Mod.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:35 pm
sorry, I was wrong. I thought ModDIR refers to .FreeCAD/Mod but it does not. The line isn't different in FreeCAD/master. No idea whats causing your local build to work with importing directly from .FreeCAD/Mod.
I was saying that it doesn't work in .FreeCAD/Mod for me either. But it works when putting asm3 into the Mod directory of the build/installation directory, apparently because of the sys.path inclusion you pointed out.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Now I understand. So we have inconsistence between the "root"-Mod directory and the "user"-Mod directory.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

saso wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:59 pm You have compiled his https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/LinkStage3 ? It only works with it
Yes.
realthunder wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:12 pm You are doing exactly the same as I am doing, i.e. running directly from a build directory, with maybe one exception. I put the asm3 module directly in Mod directory of the build directly (well, actually through a symlink), instead of ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. I vaguely remember having some issue putting the module there early development.

Yup, just tried it. It doesn't work in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. Try Mod in the build directory, it shall work fine there. I'll migrate to the new style for sure, but may take a while, because things at work.
About the possibility to run from Mod in the build directory. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me (i get the same behavior as when .FreeCAD/Mod is used). But all in all great we can now both reproduce this.

P.S. As for changing imports take your time.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

But don't read this as i am not eager to try it ASAP. ;)
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 am Thank you so much for your work. Is it useable with Freecad 0.17?
Unfortunately, no. You'll need to build my branch at https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/LinkStage3
Ickby is working on assembly workbench for Freecad 0.17. What about teamwork?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am Ickby is working on assembly workbench for Freecad 0.17. What about teamwork?
I've discussed with him in quite a few occasions. For example, see here, and here. As you can see, we have different opinions on how the container should behave. And unfortunately, none of the discussions lead anywhere.