Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frabice

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by frabice »

Thank your for your answers!
realthunder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm
frabice wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:06 pm [*]Is there a button to add a part to the assembly? Drag and drop is not very well supported on my machine
It is not possible right now, but I can add that function. However, if drag and drop don't work then how do you add your existing parts?
I would find the button a plus as I find it more intuitive to look for a button than guessing that you have to drag and drop (at first use). At the moment, I use drag and drop but the tree is always collapsing and I find it not user-friendly to go back and forth in the tree (which is collapsing but this is probably a platform specific problem, or even just me) to add a part.

[*]Is there a feature to know what are the redudant constraints that make the message pop up in the report view?
Turn on the 'Verbose' property of the assembly object. And make sure you click the 'Solve' button instead of using auto solve (auto done when you change assembly), or quick solve (another button, which is essentially what auto solving does). Reporting redundant constraint requires a full solve, and it may take much longer time.
I have to admit that I could not find the information of which constraint was redundant in all the information that was prompted at solving. Could you guide me on this?
[*]Is there a trick to make part move tool more fluid or is it just my old machine that is not fast enough anymore (2009 macbook pro)?
Turn off 'auto solve' (with the toolbar button), or hole 'CTRL' key (META key for mac?) while moving, which bypass auto solving. You may also find 'Axial mover' easier to use than the standard mover. You can also try 'quick mover' which does not trigger auto solving.
Thank you for the tips. I am afraid I will have to stick with slow movement as I want to move under constraints.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hello everyone,
I just updated the "Test tutorial for Assembly 3 WB" document (version 0.10.2 of asm3 WB 2019.07.03).
It is now available in pdf and video format on my page website

http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025b_ass_ex_creat.php in English

or

http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/00fr/025b_ass_ex_creat.php in French

Other tests are also accessible from this page.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Hello,
after posting on my web site basic examples based on a natural and intuitive approach, i just added more in-depth examples based on the pages of the Realthunder wiki at :
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025c_ass_ex_creat.php

If you are viewing these (provisional) videos, I would be happy to hear your opinions, especially yours @Realthunder if you can spend a little time on them.
realthunder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm ...
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

jpg87 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26 pm Hello,
after posting on my web site basic examples based on a natural and intuitive approach, i just added more in-depth examples based on the pages of the Realthunder wiki at :
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025c_ass_ex_creat.php

If you are viewing these (provisional) videos, I would be happy to hear your opinions, especially yours @Realthunder if you can spend a little time on them.
Thanks for the excellent tutorials, as always.

It is nice that you wrap each parts in their own assembly, and explicitly creates those elements. Just a simple shortcut in this stage. Once you created the assembly, adding elements can be simplified by click the geometry in 3D view and them click Add Element button (the third button), or better, use keyboard shortcut A, E.

If your workflow is mostly bottom up, or in other word, if most of the designs are fixed, you can 'Freeze' (using assembly object context menu) its assembly once all the elements are created. This will speed up higher assembly loading time. It may also help you to follow a more strict bottom up workflow, because once freezed, no new (implicit) elements can be created. You'll have to explicitly 'Unfreeze' the assembly before continue. And I noticed that in your video you sometimes create constraints using auto created elements, which is fine, but it is always better to do it explicitly or at least name it after it is auto created. You can choose to rename the elements under the new constraint.

Another thing, if you are mostly managing the elements explicitly, it is often better to create constraint by selecting elements in the tree view, instead of directly selecting geometry in 3D view. I've seen you doing it in both ways, which is of course fine. But you'll find using elements more convenient, especially if the sub-assembly is frozen.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

realthunder wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:58 am ...
Thank you for all of this advice and all the work you do.
I will therefore calmly review my videos by incorporating these tips, as well as probably on some other properties presented in your wiki.

Still impatient to see Asm3 WB appear as an addon.
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

Just a thought. I was not aware of the presence of asm3 as default in the latest appimage(pleasant surprise). I was still expecting it as an add-on. Shouldn't this be publicised a bit more? A sticky thread or something? I'm sure there are allot of users that still expect it as an add-on unaware of the presence of it in the latest appimage release.
Last edited by OficineRobotica on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
cos4

Post by cos4 »

Is there something similar to the "Direction" dialog of a2plus? I find the option to "flip direction" very useful.
Attachments
a2plus_constraint_properties.png
a2plus_constraint_properties.png (20.39 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm Just a thought. I was not aware of the presence of asm3 as default in the latest appimage(pleasant surprise). I was still aspecting it as an add-on. Shouldn't this be publicised a bit more? A sticky thread or something? I'm sure there are allot of users that still aspect it as an add-on unaware of the presence of it in the latest appimage release.
Well, I am kind of surprised myself.

cos4 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:02 pm Is there something similar to the "Direction" dialog of a2plus? I find the option to "flip direction" very useful.
You can change the 'Offset' property in either the element object under the constraint, or under the element group. It is a placement in the element local coordinate. If you change it under element group, it will affect all constraint that uses this element.

One thing to note though, because the way SolveSpace works, plane coincident constraint does not care about plane orientation. Meaning that it will snap either way. You'll have to use other constraint to fix it. Or, maybe you can consider other type of constraint, like the 'Placement' constraint, which coincide two elements exactly, without going through the solver.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm ...I'm sure there are allot of users that still aspect it as an add-on unaware of the presence of it in the latest appimage release.
You are right about that. I wanted to see it in the Addon Manager first. Also, it's "expect".

[SOLVED] Not run FreeCAD_0.19-19405 AppImage
looo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am
chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 am
looo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:00 am I added asm3 to the appimage yesterday.
Does this mean that realthunder's branch is now in master?
No it's only include in the appimage / dmg. We can remove it again if it makes troubles, But I think including it will help to gather some feedback.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

vocx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:59 am
OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:58 pm ...I'm sure there are allot of users that still aspect it as an add-on unaware of the presence of it in the latest appimage release.
You are right about that. I wanted to see it in the Addon Manager first. Also, it's "expect".
Thank you, corrected. I really hope it will not be removed from the appimage. It makes sense to have a assembly workbench by default in FC and it is the natural evolution of the software after all the work that realthunder has put in to the core. It is also another demonstration of the validity of the appimage way of distributing software. It just works and most of all it works the way that the developer intended. I use the appimage on kde neon because the ppa version can not be installed( surprise, dependency issues).
realthunder wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm Or, maybe you can consider other type of constraint, like the 'Placement' constraint, which coincide two elements exactly, without going through the solver.
What is the "Placement" constraint? I searched for it but I can't find it anywhere. Thank you for your incredible work.

Please devs, keep the asm3 workbench into the appimage.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica