Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by jpg87 »

realthunder wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am Can you please open the report view (View->Panels->Report view), and scroll up to see if there is any error? I just download the 7z, extract and it is running fine.
I used IZARc so far to unpack the archives. I just tried 7zip. This time asm3 appears and works.
Sorry for making you waste time.

Thanks also: I noticed that you took into account my suggestions of some time ago concerning the icons and the number of constraints which appear by default. (Postby jpg87 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am)

Good luck for the future, and I hope that the fusion of ASM3 in the main branch will arrive quickly.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

jpg87 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am Good luck for the future, and I hope that the fusion of ASM3 in the main branch will arrive quickly.
+1
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

OakLD wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm
ceremcem wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 am Regarding to #2, I'm convinced that it can not be done unless some scripting is involved, so it should be left out of ASM3 context. Thanks for the answers, I'm moving forward.
You could/should use Spreadsheet workbench to drive the dimensions in a logical way. No scripting required, if I understand your scenario correctly.
I didn't get to fully test it with FreeCAD, but I used it a lot in SolidEdge many years ago and it's really worth learning. In example, I had a common product, a small tank with conical bottom and typical inlets and outlets done this way. So when we received order for a custom (always) tank of this type, I simply typed in diameter and height, saw the volume (to check if it is matching the request), modified in/outlets diameters and about 90% of work on drawings and documentation was done... Very effective.
I'm experimenting with a custom Library-type Workbench in FreeCAD to allow to make such input-driven models (and drawings too!) of common parts (brackets, tanks, links, connection plates, etc.), but I am extremely slow in the progress due to lack of time and lack of experience in the development environment used in FC...
Does this have a name or can we call it "Assembly Referenced Dimensions"? Anyway, I propose to track this feature/howto here for the sake of clarity, if there is no other refences exist at the moment.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

The documents for 0.8 are finally ready.

See the release notes for summary of features.

Added explanation of some hidden constraint features. I'll complete the document of individual constraints when I got time.

Added two tutorials,

* How to handle complex assembly. Thanks to @jpg87 for providing the model.
* Model using assembly
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 am The documents for 0.8 are finally ready.
Hello,
I just discovered your new publications. I do not have time to detail this morning but in any case it's great to have written these aids.
A small detail that I had time to see: the masses are upside down !
They must be like this:
38_res_rouedentee_axe2.png
38_res_rouedentee_axe2.png (23.97 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Thank you again for this workbench.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

jpg87 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 am A small detail that I had time to see: the masses are upside down !
Oops!

New version is released. Mostly for fixing the memory issue of SolveSpace.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

ceremcem wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:12 pm
OakLD wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm
ceremcem wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 am Regarding to #2, I'm convinced that it can not be done unless some scripting is involved, so it should be left out of ASM3 context. Thanks for the answers, I'm moving forward.
You could/should use Spreadsheet workbench to drive the dimensions in a logical way. No scripting required, if I understand your scenario correctly.
I didn't get to fully test it with FreeCAD, but I used it a lot in SolidEdge many years ago and it's really worth learning. In example, I had a common product, a small tank with conical bottom and typical inlets and outlets done this way. So when we received order for a custom (always) tank of this type, I simply typed in diameter and height, saw the volume (to check if it is matching the request), modified in/outlets diameters and about 90% of work on drawings and documentation was done... Very effective.
I'm experimenting with a custom Library-type Workbench in FreeCAD to allow to make such input-driven models (and drawings too!) of common parts (brackets, tanks, links, connection plates, etc.), but I am extremely slow in the progress due to lack of time and lack of experience in the development environment used in FC...
Does this have a name or can we call it "Assembly Referenced Dimensions"? Anyway, I propose to track this feature/howto here for the sake of clarity, if there is no other refences exist at the moment.
Actually, both the example you gave and the practise I experienced in past, does not (usually) involve referencing the assembly constraints. In your example, if you change the width of the car, you want to change the width of all the parts in between left and right side, i.e. the bumpers you mentioned, the hood, roof, base platform, cross members, rear and back window, etc. So typically, it does not affect the relation of the parts, i.e. bumper or the "right" and "left" parts stay attached to base platform, the cross members in turn to them, etc.
There are catches, though. For example, if you fix hood via welded hinges and their position is related to the sides, the distance between them will expand with the hood. So you should contrain the other halves of the hinges in the same fashion. Or vice versa, you can constrain both halves to the symetry plane and then they'll always keep the position. If you mix the methods, the assembly will appear broken.
The very best way IMHO to fix such parts is to sketch a helping geometry on the base part (hood in the exaple above), use spreadsheet reference for it's position and constrain the half of the hinge to that geometry. If you i.e. rivet the hinges, you have to do holes anyway. This should make a stable assembly.
Regards,

Oak
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

I have tested LinkStage3 with a basic FEM calculation, followed https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FEM_tutorial and everything i have tested seams to be working.
Screenshot from 2018-08-15 11-26-46.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-15 11-26-46.png (408.23 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

What I was afraid of is (internal) face selection for FEM.
A3 has changed this a bit and a test for this aspect would be nice.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

but i guess multiple bodies still not working ...