Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm Where are all the As3 enthusiasts when testing the big App::Link merge at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 7&p=325888 ?
Right, asm3 actually works in the LinkMerge branch. I'll soon make some changes so that it can be installed through the add-on manager.
This is really good news, thank you very much. As soon as I can install using the Addon Manager, I'm happy to help with testing.
Many greetings
Wilfried
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm Right, asm3 actually works in the LinkMerge branch. I'll soon make some changes so that it can be installed through the add-on manager.
Great! Thx! :D
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

I have a big request. Assembly 3 is very extensive and unfortunately video tutorials are missing so far. I.e. for a first time user it will be very difficult to find his way around.
If I missed something, please post the link addresses to corresponding video's or other tutorials. Thank you very much.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm I have a big request. Assembly 3 is very extensive and unfortunately video tutorials are missing so far. I.e. for a first time user it will be very difficult to find his way around.
If I missed something, please post the link addresses to corresponding video's or other tutorials. Thank you very much.
I'll remake the gif tutorials using video when I got time, and probable make some more.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

realthunder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm I have a big request. Assembly 3 is very extensive and unfortunately video tutorials are missing so far. I.e. for a first time user it will be very difficult to find his way around.
I'll remake the gif tutorials using video when I got time, and probable make some more.
I agree that video tutorials are far more useful than gifs. Moreover you are using subtitles instead of voice which is also great especially when you need to re-visit a tutorial in a quiet room.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

realthunder wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am I'll remake the gif tutorials using video when I got time, and probable make some more.
Guys, i was recently reading a longer list of posts in this topic: Can´t we just let realthunder concentrate on the merge in the way he and the other programmers want/need to do it instead os asking for this and that . Go testing and post problems, not just wishes...
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

If anyone wants to be my test subject, I'm volunteer to assist him/her while getting up and running with Asm3. My expectation by this collaboration is that this would help me completing my tutorial documentation faster and more accurately.

My design principle: I'm preparing micro task tutorials so that you can describe the problem you are encountering by search within the documentation. I believe that this approach will let preparing ~100 micro tutorials (eg. 1 min. for each) to produce enough assistance for any kind of actual design sessions.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

ceremcem wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm
If anyone wants to be my test subject, I'm volunteer to assist him/her while getting up and running with Asm3. My expectation by this collaboration is that this would help me completing my tutorial documentation faster and more accurately.

My design principle: I'm preparing micro task tutorials so that you can describe the problem you are encountering by search within the documentation. I believe that this approach will let preparing ~100 micro tutorials (eg. 1 min. for each) to produce enough assistance for any kind of actual design sessions.
I'd like to be your test subject.
In about 2 weeks I would like to deal intensively with the ASM3. You have done good preliminary work. With this I try to see how far I can get, if I have questions I will contact you, if I may.
Thank you very much for your offer.

Maybe we have the possibility to meet in a video conference.
https://meet.jit.si/freecad
is the perfect place for that.
Browser: a current Firefox or Chrome - and absolutely a headset to avoid echo or feedback.

Many greetings
Wilfried
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am With this I try to see how far I can get, if I have questions I will contact you, if I may.
Of course you may. My preferred way is opening issues per task in freecad-notes. You are supposed to open one or more issues per struggle.
Maybe we have the possibility to meet in a video conference.
https://meet.jit.si/freecad
is the perfect place for that.
Browser: a current Firefox or Chrome - and absolutely a headset to avoid echo or feedback.

Many greetings
Wilfried
Although it is perfectly possible to make video conferences when necessary, I'm not familiar with this method and I don't prefer even with my friends.

I'm imagining a workflow like this: Think that you are learning a programming language (Python, for example). When you need to create a variable, you would search Google for "how to create a variable in Python". If you need to place a loop, you would search for "how to create a loop in Python" and so on. Likewise, when you need to design a 3D model, you need to get some basic abilities plus the basic principles.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 am FYI, my PR thread is https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 58#p321158
Nice!