Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

dyleks wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm Big thank you from my side as well :!:

I have one question is it possible in near future to repair measurement tool ?
It is one tool I really but really miss in assembly 3.
Or maybe I am doing something wrong ?
It works OK when I am not in assembly container, but when I am inside it it shows some random measurements not related to what I try measure.
Sure, I'll fix it soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

dyleks wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 pm I have one question is it possible in near future to repair measurement tool ?
New version released with Part measurement fix. Is this the what you are using? Because there are actually more than one measuring tools in FC. I have also add a toolbar button to refresh existing measurement to sync with current objects.

And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 am New version released with Part measurement fix. Is this the what you are using? Because there are actually more than one measuring tools in FC. I have also add a toolbar button to refresh existing measurement to sync with current objects.
very nice improvement!
It would be possible to add also an Arc/Circle radius measurement?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 561#p77529
That is a missed measure in Part measurement tools.
dyleks

Post by dyleks »

realthunder wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 am New version released with Part measurement fix. Is this the what you are using? Because there are actually more than one measuring tools in FC. I have also add a toolbar button to refresh existing measurement to sync with current objects.
Yes this is what I am exactly using, now it works perfectly big thank you.
I have sent you litle donation as well :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I have run your latest appimage from today to see the sketcher functionality (maybe wrong thread, I do not know if there is any other thread for this, a moderator may move it if so).
Trial_ASM3.png
Trial_ASM3.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
I have just done a rectangle, export two sides as single objects and pad it. Then I create another rectangle perpedicular to one of the exported sides. I wanted to make a sweep of the second rectangle along one of the exports.

When accepting the sweep, a "CopyExport" is created, even if the Export belongs to the same body.
Trial_ASM3_2.png
Trial_ASM3_2.png (21.8 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
I think the export functionality is a great idea.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

abdullah wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:32 am When accepting the sweep, a "CopyExport" is created, even if the Export belongs to the same body.
That's strange. Did you see any message box asking whether you want to create a clone? I can't seem to reproduce it.

abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

realthunder wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:49 am
abdullah wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:32 am When accepting the sweep, a "CopyExport" is created, even if the Export belongs to the same body.
That's strange. Did you see any message box asking whether you want to create a clone? I can't seem to reproduce it.
I have just tried again. I can not reproduce it either. I do not thing it was related to your branch.

I did get the dialog asking whether to create an independent copy, cross-link... This generally happens when you are using an object outside your body. But that was the only body, it was just a trial.

Anyway, it is really a beautiful feature. I filleted one corner of the original rectangle, and exported the contiguous "line-arc-line" as a single object. Then I sweeped a perpedicular profile along the export. The result is very nice with very little effort:
Trial_ASM3_3.png
Trial_ASM3_3.png (19.82 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

triplus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:55 pm @realthunder

Just in case you didn't see the video yet:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =10#p12299
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =30#p51945

;)
I don't know about this thread, but I do know this solver. In fact, I read about its code (maybe not the latest version) in the freezed Assembly workbench, before I start coding for Assembly3. It seems the solver is not fully functional yet, and its code looks complex, so I chose SolveSpace in the end.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I mentioned the video for fun.

P.S. From historical point of view. I don't remember precisely but i think the situation with 2D solver for Sketcher was similar. Use the SolveSpace (predecessor). But after the FreeCAD 2D solver was coded from scratch (FreeGCS). Therefore i am guessing with your work you kinda brought back the initial idea. As SolveSpace can now be used for 2D in FreeCAD too. If current FreeGCS will ever get extended to support 3D constraints i don't know. I could imagine a few years of work involved to get it on SolveSpace level.