Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

Grawp wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 am Hello @realthunder,
Topological naming is absolutely great and a must have feature, still I'd like to whether there is or will be a possibility - in your FC fork - to reference things more dynamically similar to what can be done in CadQuery: https://pythonhosted.org/cadquery/selectors.html

I often (try) to make enclosures for various electronic boards in FC and a functionality to e.g. select top most point of a board and use it to create working plane representing roof of an inside space in an enclosure would come handy. Does this make sense?
I like cadquery's selector, too. But that's more for scripting usage. Do you mean you want it as a property? Maybe you can provide some example. BTW, there is a hidden feature in my fork. I actually bundled cadquery. You can access it with

Code: Select all

from freecad import fc_cadquery
A much cooler way to access it is to use Expression, or Spreadsheet.

Code: Select all

._cq.Workplane(<<front>>).box(1, 1, 1).toFreecad()
You can bind this expression to Shape property, and feel its power!

Okay, just found out that my Linux AppImage somehow miss the cadquery bundle, what a bummer. But Windows works!

EDIT: image updated, it works on all platforms now.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Hi @realthunder,

I think I found some an issue with your latest AppImage.

*When I try to use the mesh workbench and try to convert a solid to mesh, it gives me the following error:

File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
<class 'ImportError'>: /tmp/.mount_FreeCAWRJBdh/usr/lib64/../lib/libNETGENPlugin.so.8.3: undefined symbol: _ZN6netgen11NgExceptionD1Ev
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 5, in <module>
<class 'NameError'>: name 'MeshPart' is not defined

PS: messing around found that step export isn't working either. Doesn't give me any errors but nothing happens.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20886 +2287 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 5f7898eae20e4e8ef3e6190ad8b354e23bbf66e7
Python version: 3.7.6
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

With the regular branch it works.

Version: 0.19.21125 (Git) AppImage
Branch: master
Hash: 40600a55c2fe71ff589be677f6e427ccc937d003
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

czinehuba wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 pm Hi @realthunder,

I think I found some an issue with your latest AppImage.

*When I try to use the mesh workbench and try to convert a solid to mesh, it gives me the following error:
Image updated. The problem should be fixed.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
doubters

Post by doubters »

Is it possible in Assembly3 to keep records of details, as is done in a2+?

realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

doubters wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm Is it possible in Assembly3 to keep records of details, as is done in a2+?
You mean a BOM list? This can be done using a spreadsheet, which is much more powerful in my fork than in the upstream. I can include some templates in asm3 in the future. You can checkout the demonstration here.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Hi @realthunder,

I've noticed two issues. Now unfortunately it's not always reproducible.

* step files takes very long to open on Linux version - but this is not limited to your build, it is happening on the Freecad standard AppImage as well.
Please see link bellow:
https://mypreciouscloud.co.uk/index.php ... pZ7EMWtfA6

*Also I have trouble opening files created in the MS version then opening in the Linux version.
I will send you in a PN the file. I can't share it openly. I've tried the latest 3 builds of your 0.11 release and they all behave the same.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

czinehuba wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 pm Hi @realthunder,

I've noticed two issues. Now unfortunately it's not always reproducible.

* step files takes very long to open on Linux version - but this is not limited to your build, it is happening on the Freecad standard AppImage as well.
Please see link bellow:
https://mypreciouscloud.co.uk/index.php ... pZ7EMWtfA6

*Also I have trouble opening files created in the MS version then opening in the Linux version.
I will send you in a PN the file. I can't share it openly. I've tried the latest 3 builds of your 0.11 release and they all behave the same.
Coincidently, someone just reported the exact same problem on my github issue page. This is caused by OCC 7.4. You are using a very small AngularDeflection, 1.0, while FreeCAD default is 28.65. OCC7.4 must have done something with its triangulation optimization algorithm that take this parameter seriously. The loading will take long time and huge amount of memory. Windows release that is built with the libpack instead of conda is still using OCC 7.3.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Hi,

Thanks. Yes I used that setting to get better result when exporting to 3d printing. But now using mesh workbench to tweak it and left that setting.

That solved most of the problem. It's is still slower a bit. But I guess it's an OCC issue, rather then freecad.

Thanks again.
Huba
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

czinehuba wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:07 am That solved most of the problem. It's is still slower a bit. But I guess it's an OCC issue, rather then freecad.
I have just updated the release images, adding a few parameters in the preference dialog to address this problem. The lower bounds shown below will limit the Deviation and AngularDeflection setting in any existing document. I chose the default values so that you can open any document with OCC 7.4 just fine. You can also enable the 'Override' option to override the Maximum Deviation and AngularDeflection setting in the view object. This effectively disabled view object control of these two parameters, so better use with caution. These settings shouldn't have any effect with Mesh exporting, I think.

Screenshot from 2020-06-11 20-11-44.png
Screenshot from 2020-06-11 20-11-44.png (70.53 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Sub-Shape Binder Question

I created an empty (green) Sub-Shape Binder. Then dragged Sketch001 on it. (After de- and res-electing the Binder,) Sketch001 is referenced in the Binder's Support property correctly, and appears in the 3D view. Then I dragged Sketch002 on the Binder. The binder now references two sketch objects, which is very nice.

Now, how can I remove the reference to Sketch001...?

Thanks in advance!
Ulrich

(Side note: Working with the 2020-05-09 release, appears to be much more stable than the June 2019 release.)

Version: 0.19.20886 +2245 (Git)
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 5fa0248e91142a5a97c5dba14ef50bd182bec634
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)