Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

skopjanecot wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 pm I have updated the app to the latest release 2021.2402 on both my linux and macos machines and I'm getting an error "You need a planar face as a support for a sketch!" on both when trying to make a new sketch (if there is no plane selected from the origin). It doesn't promt me to select a plane as usual. Is this on purpose and maybe a new direction the branch is taking?
Yes, there is a problem of selection interpretation while creating sketch. I'll make new release soon. A simple workaround is to clear the selection before creating a new sketch.

Speaking of 'new direction' though, there is indeed something new there. Sketch and Attacher can now handle geometry in other Body/Part container. You can select any geometry for attachment, or as external geometry inside a sketch. A SubShapeBinder will be auto created to handle the cross linking.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
skopjanecot

Post by skopjanecot »

realthunder wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 pm
skopjanecot wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 pm I have updated the app to the latest release 2021.2402 on both my linux and macos machines and I'm getting an error "You need a planar face as a support for a sketch!" on both when trying to make a new sketch (if there is no plane selected from the origin). It doesn't promt me to select a plane as usual. Is this on purpose and maybe a new direction the branch is taking?
Yes, there is a problem of selection interpretation while creating sketch. I'll make new release soon. A simple workaround is to clear the selection before creating a new sketch.

Speaking of 'new direction' though, there is indeed something new there. Sketch and Attacher can now handle geometry in other Body/Part container. You can select any geometry for attachment, or as external geometry inside a sketch. A SubShapeBinder will be auto created to handle the cross linking.
This wil simpify and speed up the workflow to another level!
Kuzma30

Post by Kuzma30 »

Good day. I'm using the Stage3 branch to import the .step file as Assembly per document in subdirectory. The file contains Russian names for objects. The screenshot shows the result of the import. As you can see, most Russian names are imported correctly, but there are problems with importing the file names of individual parts of the assembly (circled in the screenshot). Can I fix it somehow?

I can't provide the file due to copyright.
Second screenshot is resulting directory structure.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.0227.23964 +3298 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 1305f79240adaa1d1cb6c545e43a75ff1654957e
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: Russian/Russia (ru_RU)
Attachments
fc2.png
fc2.png (203.6 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
fc.png
fc.png (268.49 KiB) Viewed 3203 times
RealThunder's A3 Wiki translation, join the project https://crowdin.com/project/freecad-asm3-wiki
CapGuy

Post by CapGuy »

Hello All, and special Hello to @realthunder !

First I would like to thank cordially RealThunder for his good work on FreeCAD and say him I wish he will be able to make his career as he want.

Second I would like to report a small bug within his Link Branch Assembly3 special version (both the 20210205 and 20210227 have the same) and ask him what is the more efficient procedure to report him these bugs ?
(I do it here because it is my first bug report but I guess there is a better way to do this)

Well, the bug to fix if you can to do it :
the "Fits the whole content on the screen (V, F)" button does not work at all...

And a question : what is the reason of not including all your excellent work within the official FreeCAD release ?
I saw you tell you are too fast for FreeCAD upstream but I cannot understand why, in an Open Source project like this one, you cannot propose your code actually in the project itself ?
Because for sure your speed and your power of coding could be a very powerful goodness for the whole project.

Anyway and even if you cannot answer yet, thank you very much for all, again !
Cordially,
Guy
May The Force be infinite and beyond !
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

Hi @realthunder ,

As always many thanks for your work and the other devs. It is great to see FreeCAD progressing at such a rate.

Is there an option for the appimage to use system libraries. As I have OCC 7.5 but it isn't used.
Or would it be possible to update the linux appimage build to OCC 7.5.

The reason for asking is that just recently I tried the windows build which has OCC 7.5 and it seemed more stable. I've experienced lately some freezes when trying to do use shape string or measure tools in the Linux version but not occurring or not that often in the windows build. Unfortunately I can't always reproduce them so doesn't justify a bug report. But experiencing less crashes.

Will try to test it more.

Many thanks
Huba
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Kuzma30 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 am Good day. I'm using the Stage3 branch to import the .step file as Assembly per document in subdirectory. The file contains Russian names for objects. The screenshot shows the result of the import. As you can see, most Russian names are imported correctly, but there are problems with importing the file names of individual parts of the assembly (circled in the screenshot). Can I fix it somehow?
I'll make a few changes on that. Luckily that you are on Windows which has OCC 7.5, as this is the first version that has proper support of unicode in STEP import/export.

czinehuba wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm Is there an option for the appimage to use system libraries. As I have OCC 7.5 but it isn't used.
I'll ask around. Seems Conda still does not have proper support for that yet.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

CapGuy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 am First I would like to thank cordially RealThunder for his good work on FreeCAD and say him I wish he will be able to make his career as he want.

Second I would like to report a small bug within his Link Branch Assembly3 special version (both the 20210205 and 20210227 have the same) and ask him what is the more efficient procedure to report him these bugs ?
(I do it here because it is my first bug report but I guess there is a better way to do this)

Well, the bug to fix if you can to do it :
the "Fits the whole content on the screen (V, F)" button does not work at all...
Thanks for the appreciation. I prefer reporting bug in github issue page. Please copy your FreeCAD About information along with the report (Menu Hep -> About -> Copy to clipboard). It will be even better to include a screenshot or screencast if applicable.

And a question : what is the reason of not including all your excellent work within the official FreeCAD release ?
I saw you tell you are too fast for FreeCAD upstream but I cannot understand why, in an Open Source project like this one, you cannot propose your code actually in the project itself ?
Because for sure your speed and your power of coding could be a very powerful goodness for the whole project.
Coding fast has advantage of getting new features fast, but also the disadvantage of risking for more bugs. I can counter it partially by relying on report by public testers and fixing them fast, but still, not all users (some maybe be other small companies) prefer new feature over stability. Anyway, I'm sure many new features in my branch will get a chance to be landed in the next FreeCAD development cycle.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

czinehuba wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm Is there an option for the appimage to use system libraries. As I have OCC 7.5 but it isn't used.
You can track this thread for progress on AppImage with OCCT 7.5.
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

realthunder wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 pm ...
Great. Thanks for looking into that. Will follow it closely. :D
Kuzma30

Post by Kuzma30 »

realthunder wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 pm
Kuzma30 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 am Good day. I'm using the Stage3 branch to import the .step file as Assembly per document in subdirectory. The file contains Russian names for objects. The screenshot shows the result of the import. As you can see, most Russian names are imported correctly, but there are problems with importing the file names of individual parts of the assembly (circled in the screenshot). Can I fix it somehow?
I'll make a few changes on that. Luckily that you are on Windows which has OCC 7.5, as this is the first version that has proper support of unicode in STEP import/export.

I'll ask around. Seems Conda still does not have proper support for that yet.
Just test latest build. It's working now. Thank's
RealThunder's A3 Wiki translation, join the project https://crowdin.com/project/freecad-asm3-wiki