Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

triplus wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:45 pm Better to join this effort then:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=40525
Thanks for the reference. I briefly browse through. I'll take a closer look in the future if I ever decide to develop the solver. Right now there are loads of other things on my to do list.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

I just made a new release. Welcome to test. There are many changes, so be prepare to find problems here and there. You can file bug report here. For Assembly3 related problem, you can report the problem either in this thread, or its own issue page.

I'll soon make a video to demo all the new features. Meanwhile, please check the release notes for changes.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

realthunder wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:06 pm I just made a new release. Welcome to test. There are many changes, so be prepare to find problems here and there. You can file bug report here. For Assembly3 related problem, you can report the problem either in this thread, or its own issue page.

I'll soon make a video to demo all the new features. Meanwhile, please check the release notes for changes.
Awesome as always! This seems to tackle these requests:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p390882
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44809 (at least partially)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:59 pmThanks for the reference. I briefly browse through. I'll take a closer look in the future if I ever decide to develop the solver. Right now there are loads of other things on my to do list.
Fair point.

P.S. But as it currently looks like Assembly 3 might be the likeliest future Assembly 1 contender, you will likely eventually need to get involved. Especially if you would like to achieve your goals, regarding upstream, faster. For now i agree that developing and maturing such efforts individually still likely is bringing in the most results. Wouldn't hurt though, if the efforts would be more aware of each other.
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

realthunder wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:06 pm I just made a new release.
I love the new Part Design enhancements and the feature highlighting.
Great progress!
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

realthunder wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:06 pm I just made a new release.
Thank you again for all these new features that I discovered with pleasure (I am still far from having seen everything and probably I will not understand all the subtleties).
In the meantime, I'm enjoying the new capabilities of PartDesign.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
cos4

Post by cos4 »

I'm using Assembly3 now for a while to assemble my new 3D-Printer. The only issue I have is that while the assembly gets more and more complex with sometimes having to modify sub-assemblies again I get frequent problems with "inconsistent contraints". Do you have any recommendations on how to identify what is causing the problem other than deleting constraints and checking when the solver can solve the assembly again?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

cos4 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:33 pm I'm using Assembly3 now for a while to assemble my new 3D-Printer. The only issue I have is that while the assembly gets more and more complex with sometimes having to modify sub-assemblies again I get frequent problems with "inconsistent contraints". Do you have any recommendations on how to identify what is causing the problem other than deleting constraints and checking when the solver can solve the assembly again?
You don't need to delete the constraint, just disable it. Right click the constraint in the tree and select disable. You can limit the solving to the selected assembly by disabling the 'AutoSolve' option, and select the sub-assembly (or any of its children) and then click the 'Solve' button manually. Not the 'QuickSolve', but a full 'Solve' will give you more diagnostic information in the report view. Make sure you don't see the 'Redundant constraint' warning to avoid future inconsistent constraint error.
tom

Post by tom »

Hi realthunder,

I playing with the asm3 branch and stumbled over a small issue: When alternately opening and saving a file in both the asm3 version and the standard version of FC the groups get corrupted. In asm3 they are marked with an exclamation mark and following error is shown in the report window:

Code: Select all

3.7e-08 <App> Document.cpp(3032): Failed to restore asm3_group_test#Group: Property asm3_group_test#Group.HiddenChildren already exists
The attached model contains just an empty group showing the error. The file was created using the standard version of FC, then reopened and re-saved in the asm3 version, then again opened and saved in the standard version. Finally opening it again in the asm3 version the error occurs.

I think the asm3 version adds some extra properties to the groups, but it does not expect that these properties are already there, if the file was saved by the standard version of FC.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20943 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ceb23799c76df3ebfa7be4b9fe83bb62de60bc6c
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20886 +2245 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 5fa0248e91142a5a97c5dba14ef50bd182bec634
Python version: 3.7.6
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
Attachments
asm3_group_test.FCStd
(5.99 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

tom wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:58 pm Hi realthunder,

I playing with the asm3 branch and stumbled over a small issue: When alternately opening and saving a file in both the asm3 version and the standard version of FC the groups get corrupted. In asm3 they are marked with an exclamation mark and following error is shown in the report window:
Thanks for reporting. It has been fixed. Please try the latest image.