Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by jpg87 »

julierme.silva wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm On the page that you explain about constraints and the relationship with DOF, can you make available on the page the files of the existing objects in the explanatory animation?
Thank you for your comments.

The files link can be found here:
link_files.png
link_files.png (234.89 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
on the page http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/025b_ass_ex_creat.php

The file is in 7z format: you must therefore right click then "Save the target of the link"
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Thought I would give ASM3 another try, I can't populate my second screen with views like I can in std FreeCAD. I can drag the view window to the second monitor but when I release the mouse the view window pops back to the main window. Also when I drag the view to the second window there is a blue bar that occurs on the side of the main window, almost like the program is thinking of docking.

I do have a work around, I can set up the views in std FreeCAD and then go into ASM3 and everything looks good, just can't move the views too much.
Last edited by freedman on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
julierme.silva

Post by julierme.silva »

jpg87 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 pm The files link can be found here:
I didn't realize that the animation files are on this page. It was a lack of attention.
Thanks for the feedback.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Is there a way to stop the tree selection changing the object highlighted, in front, semi-transparent? I just want to see what is selected.
Pic, unselected on the left and selected on the right.

[Solved] Found Preferences-Display-Draw Styles, there are some selection options.
Attachments
ctl3.png
ctl3.png (211.09 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Last edited by freedman on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

Realthunder, I experienced a repeatable crash with Assembly3, posted it here to avoid polluting this thread. I wonder if you saw that and if it's really Assembly3's fault or Freecad's fault
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

realthunder wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:54 am ...
Hello Realthunder,
I'm trying to get the best out of your animated gifs, but since I'm not a "brain fast", I have two problems (that's not a complaint, I admire your work):
1- it is difficult to spot the start of the animation;
2- I don't know how to adjust the speed, or how to pause (unless there is a program to master the reading of gifs that I do not know).

By dint of searching, I finally found a way to turn your gifs into videos, and that changes everything for me. I was finally able to understand all your Asm3 and PartDesign improvements: fantastic!

For users of your work,
I simply suggest in this post to share these videos for those like me who can't follow. Do not hesitate to ask me.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

realthunder wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:54 am
Hello RealThunder. Sorry to bother you here but I'm having an issue with your latest release. If I have an assembly with linked subassemblies/files ; right click in the tree -> link actions -> go to linked object(S, G) does nothing. It does not open the file with the linked assembly. If I close the main file, the linked assembly will pop up in the place of the main file tab but there is no way I can visualize it whitbought closing the master one. Can anyone reproduce?
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

OficineRobotica wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:27 pm If I have an assembly with linked subassemblies/files ; right click in the tree -> link actions -> go to linked object(S, G) does nothing. It does not open the file with the linked assembly. If I close the main file, the linked assembly will pop up in the place of the main file tab but there is no way I can visualize it whitbought closing the master one. Can anyone reproduce?
If I understand what you mean correctly, I can't reproduce. That works fine here AFAIK:
FC-Link_backnforce_linked_objects.gif
FC-Link_backnforce_linked_objects.gif (292.18 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
(Here I click the first time to icone Go to link object, then I use shortcuts S,G S,B)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.25990 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: 666bf6ccad783afe49e5f4cc270c1dffa4bcc111
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

For me it doesn't work on previously saved files with external dependencies. It jumps to the linked object if the dependency is internal to the file(one file for components and assembly) but it won't open the external file if the dependency is saved separately . At the end of the video you can even see some residual file left from my previous tests with external links assemblies (the landing gear)

phpBB [video]

Edit: I figured out that I can open external subassemblies by right click in the tree -> activate document but still (S, G) should work. It is so handy when one want's to make changes to an external file.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OficineRobotica wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 am For me it doesn't work on previously saved files with external dependencies. It jumps to the linked object if the dependency is internal to the file(one file for components and assembly) but it won't open the external file if the dependency is saved separately . At the end of the video you can even see some residual file left from my previous tests with external links assemblies (the landing gear)
To make it work, please enable 'View -> TreeView options -> Sync view'. The 'Go to linked object' is internally named as 'SelectLinkedObject', because it just makes a selection. It depends on the tree view to decide what to do. If you have 'TreeView options -> Sync selection', then it will expand the tree and scroll to that item. However, you have 'TreeView options -> Single document' enabled, so the non-active document is hidden, and hence the tree view won't scroll. And tree view will auto switch to the view of the selected object (regardless of 'Sync selection' or 'Single document') ONLY if 'Sync view' is enabled.

In short, I recommend enable 'TreeView options -> Collapse/Expand' And 'Sync view', if you are working on multi-document projects.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal