Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

skopjanecot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:05 pm My FreeCAD LinkBranch crashes when I try to open the Mesh Design WB.
Someone else has reported same problem. Can you please try download my MacOS Conda release and see if it will crash too?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

As discussed in Open discussion sub-forum:

Zolko wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:30 pm ...Therefore, my first proposal is to decide (and document) that all FreeCAD assembly files are true FreeCAD core files, and there is no need of separate file format.
This, of course, has many implications:
- the A2+ file format is a dead-end. But its solver seems very good ...
- the Asm3 file format is a dead-end. But its SolveSpace solver seems quite good ...
If this proposal were to be accepted, what consequences would this have for existing users of Assembly 3?
As someone who (likes very much Assembly 3 approach) and is putting a lot of effort into learning it, I am concerned :(
Don't really want to find out one day that all my Assembly 3 models are dodo birds...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

bambuko wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 am As someone who (likes very much Assembly 3 approach) and is putting a lot of effort into learning it, I am concerned :(
Don't really want to find out one day that all my Assembly 3 models are dodo birds...
I allowed myself to philosophize about it :
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58504
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

jpg87 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:21 am ...I allowed myself to philosophize about it...
I often "philosophize" about it as well, but keep it private ;) - not brave enough to go public,
plus I feel that I do not contribute enough (unlike yourself who has done a great deal to help others) to bother people with my views...
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

bambuko wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 am
Zolko wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:30 pm ...Therefore, my first proposal is to decide (and document) that all FreeCAD assembly files are true FreeCAD core files, and there is no need of separate file format.
If this proposal were to be accepted, what consequences would this have for existing users of Assembly 3?
I'd like to add a question to this question: what does the Asm3 data format allow that pure App::Part cannot provide ? Would it be possible, from a purely theoretical perspective and without consideration of the amount of work, to reproduce the Asm3 workflow and functionality by using pure App::Part (Std_Part) containers ?

realthunder wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am ping
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Markymark

Linkbranch on Win10: Dragging panels out of main window fails

Post by Markymark »

There is no separate Linkbranch subforum so I am posting this here.

I am used to pull panels out of the main window on my dual-monitor setup like this:

ksnip_20210510-124603.png
ksnip_20210510-124603.png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 10176 times

This does not work with Linkbranch. The panels are just flipping back to the main window.

I am pretty sure that this was discussed before, but I failed to find the relevant post. I would highly appreciate if this could be fixed. To be honest, I have no idea if this is a major or minor problem.

Could somebody please confirm this behaviour.

Mark

Version: 2021.504.24301 +3597 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 540995a6e8d5db01dfe2597439ec3131ca69b030
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Linkbranch on Win10: Dragging panels out of main window fails

Post by bambuko »

Markymark wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am There is no separate Linkbranch subforum...
You could post it here:
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3/issues
or
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/issues
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

Yes, I will. I just asked for confirmation that is no problem on my side ... or the solution is obvious (except for me :D )
FreeCutter

Post by FreeCutter »

Hi there, thanks for this greate WB!

Just a little issue which confuses me: why is the same icon used for different constraints?

same icon.jpg
same icon.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 9916 times

A vertical double-arrow for the verical constraint would be more intuitive I guess.
FreeCutter
Visit my GitHub profile

Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

realthunder wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am External geometry in sketch can now be frozen, detached, re-attached, and defining (i.e. for building shape). Any missing reference will be explicitly shown to user, who will have the choice of either manually re-attach, auto fix, or detach.
Hi realthunder,
I noticed the above mentioned functionality in your branch but could not figure out how to use it when external references are broken. Is there any tutorial on that? Could not find anything related.
BR,
HoWil