Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nemesis

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by nemesis »

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm "us" ... who are these "us" ?
here they are
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:52 pm
Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm there are 3 new WBs for assembly
I know of Assembly3 and A2Plus. Which is the third one?
Assembly 4, was assembly without solver, you can download it here, to be extracted into ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. It's not as sophisticated as A2+ or A3, but it allows to assemble hundreds of parts quite easily. It's more like a proof-of-concept actually
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
emills2

Post by emills2 »

realthunder wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:21 am Bug fixed. Are you testing with your own build of my branch?
Where is the repo i should look at to start a build that includes this bug fix? your post was 7 days ago, and https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3 says the last commit was 11 days ago. So i'm not sure if i am looking at the right one

do you have a planned date to release another set of builds?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

emills2 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 am Where is the repo i should look at to start a build that includes this bug fix?
It is not the asm3 repo, but my fork of FC here. The next release may be month away, as I am caught by my work at the moment. Let me know if you have any trouble building it (which is the same as the upstream). I can make a minor release if necessary.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This is close to threadjacking, but

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm I have the feeling FreeCAD is going nowhere currently
That's only your own perception, biased toward your own use of FreeCAD. Not every user of FreeCAD has the same needs as you.

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pmactive ignorance of known issues
Such as?

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pmbikeshedding with endless discussions about new logo
LOL I'll grant you that! But you'll notice that mostly end users are taking part in there recurring topics. The majority of developers, thankfully, are not wasting their time on this.

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pmweb browser WB
And what about it?

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pmnew name...)
Uh?

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pmLook at the header of this section: since 2-1/2 years it says that nothing is happening on the assembly front in FreeCAD: there are 3 new WBs for assembly, what do they need ?
The topic is locked. It was written by a moderator who's been dead for 17 months. This forum shows activity, doesn't it? If you don't like this situation, how about you do something about it? There's nothing preventing you from writing yourself a recap of the current situation, reaching a moderator to ask to unlock the topic, to replace the original message with your updated one, or start a completely new topic.

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm "us" ... who are these "us" ?
Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm what do they need ?
"they" ... who are these "they" ? :roll:

Here's an old reply by sliptonic I bookmarked which I very much liked and which is relevant here:
sliptonic wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:19 pm The developers here are all volunteers, working on whatever they want to work on. Mostly they want a great application that meets their own needs and they're willing to cooperate to get it and everybody else benfits from it.

But those developers are often put in a no-win situation. If they spend time polishing existing features, they're attacked for being slow to introduce new stuff. If they introduce lots of new stuff, people like you come by and blast them for not polishing it. They do what any sane person would do who isn't being paid for their time and effort. They listen to those that are helping out.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of open-source software. Much of the code-base, including many of the very features you are 'complaining in a way that annoys people' about, was written by developers that have long since left the project. If someone doesn't step in and pick it up, it won't get fixed. Either you can do that work and won't, or you can't do it at all. Either way, complaining about it doesn't 'prod the bears' to do it for you. It just pisses them off.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:56 pm chrisb wrote: ↑Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:52 pm
Zolko wrote: ↑Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:50 am
there are 3 new WBs for assembly
I know of Assembly3 and A2Plus. Which is the third one?

Assembly 4, was assembly without solver, you can download it here, to be extracted into ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. It's not as sophisticated as A2+ or A3, but it allows to assemble hundreds of parts quite easily. It's more like a proof-of-concept actually
I'm starting a new thread on assembly 4. Thanks for the suggestion fosselius,

Dan
Last edited by dan-miel on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

please create a seperate Assembly4 thread...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I didn't read the discussion in the past two weeks and will do that latter. I do have one question @realthunder. You lifted a single solid rule for Body in Assembly 3 branch.

How far away are we now from being able to add Draft Array in Body?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

triplus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am I didn't read the discussion in the past two weeks and will do that latter. I do have one question @realthunder. You lifted a single solid rule for Body in Assembly 3 branch.

How far away are we now from being able to add Draft Array in Body?
Is Draft array need? Aren't we have mirror/polar/linear/multi transformation feature in PartDesign for that? You can produce multiple solids with these features now.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

realthunder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:26 pm Aren't we have mirror/polar/linear/multi transformation feature in PartDesign for that? You can produce multiple solids with these features now.
Good to hear that. Sounds a bit like having V8 engine not limited to V1 anymore. ;)
Is Draft array need?
Well, this was more of a general type of question, not only related to Draft Array. Therefore yes, lets say Draft Array is needed. How hard would it be, to achieve something like that?