Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by easyw-fc »

I'm looking for something that is working on main branch and not on A3, so it can be fixed before the merging...
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am but i guess multiple bodies still not working ...
Well, it depends on definition of "multiple bodies". I did FEM analysis on welded assemblies in FC 17. I used some solid boolean commands from Part WB to get one object to mesh. If used correctly, it provides valid results.
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New release is here. Some minor bug fixes. Add a new tutorial of using expression with constraint. I have removed 'Angle' unit, so you can have multi-revolution for easy expressing.

Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Awesome, but offset from bottom is based on angle, will not freecad run modulus 365 on the input angle making the offset be reset to 0 after 365 (when angle 366 is entered)?

Also as noted before, the angle in plane concient seams to lack a "fixed reference" and the same angle values can solve to different solutions. But this is most prune to happen on big deltas.

Btw, any plans on adding "joint/hinge" type of constraint? Like: move freely between 10 degree and 25 degree.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

fosselius wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:37 am Awesome, but offset from bottom is based on angle, will not freecad run modulus 365 on the input angle making the offset be reset to 0 after 365 (when angle 366 is entered)?
I have made Angle a PropertyFloat, so no problem here.
Also as noted before, the angle in plane concient seams to lack a "fixed reference" and the same angle values can solve to different solutions. But this is most prune to happen on big deltas.
Yeah, keep the delta small or else it may jump/skip. SW has this reference entity for angle constraints. But it's not clear to me how it can help here.
Btw, any plans on adding "joint/hinge" type of constraint? Like: move freely between 10 degree and 25 degree.
That is another 'not clear' part. SolveSpace does not support conditional parameters. I think these motion type of thing is best handled in a dedicated module.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

It feels like the easiest approach is to make an "abstaction layer" above the solver. having some code checking for "out of scope" angles/distances and then having the code manually updating the angle/distance to min/max and then cause the solver to calculate a new solution.

Solid works "limit mates":
http://help.solidworks.com/2016/english ... swassy.htm
and "Mate controller"
http://help.solidworks.com/2016/english ... roller.htm

And some feel good reading:
https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/203154
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

I've been testing (and still am) the 0.8.1 since the release date and it seems to me like a giant leap forward! Great job! And there's 0.8.2 already... :-)

I found some minor, low priority issues:

1) Array cannot be constrained (or I did not find a correct way to do it)
ASM3_ArrayErr.PNG
ASM3_ArrayErr.PNG (55.72 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\abcd\Downloads\FreeCAD-asm3-20180811-aee619a0-a2a5d69-Win64\Ext\freecad\asm3\FCADLogger.py", line 83, in _catch
    return func(*args,**kargs)
  File "C:\Users\abcd\Downloads\FreeCAD-asm3-20180811-aee619a0-a2a5d69-Win64\Ext\freecad\asm3\mover.py", line 243, in getMovingElementInfo
    raise RuntimeError('no sub-object in selection')
RuntimeError: no sub-object in selection
2) The command for multiplication of constraints using circles gives sometimes wierd results. First time I got a correct pattern of 25 bases according to the circle pattern, but it was shifted away by a lenght of one side of the pattern. I started again with another corner and this time the original base stayed in the corner and 24 other were all in one point in another corner. The third time I tried the command I got a perfect result. It's a great tool!
Regards,

Oak
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

OakLD wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 am 1) Array cannot be constrained (or I did not find a correct way to do it)
Do you mean you want to constraint the array as a single object? If so, you can do that by wrapping the array in a sub-assembly. For draft array, you need to set its `ExpandArray` property to true to make its element freely movable, so that they can be constrained individually.

2) The command for multiplication of constraints using circles gives sometimes wierd results. First time I got a correct pattern of 25 bases according to the circle pattern, but it was shifted away by a lenght of one side of the pattern. I started again with another corner and this time the original base stayed in the corner and 24 other were all in one point in another corner. The third time I tried the command I got a perfect result. It's a great tool!
Next time this happens, please save the file and send to me. I do encounter circular edge related problems due to some obscure OCCT bug, which can usually be walked around by making a copy of the shape, which I did, but not sure if this is a general solution or not.
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

realthunder wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am ...you can do that by wrapping the array in a sub-assembly. For draft array, you need to set its `ExpandArray` property to true to make its element freely movable, so that they can be constrained individually.
I'll try that. I used Draft WB Array command, since other array methods (Part Design WB, Linear Pattern Feature) didn't work as expected.

realthunder wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 amNext time this happens, please save the file and send to me. I do encounter circular edge related problems due to some obscure OCCT bug, which can usually be walked around by making a copy of the shape, which I did, but not sure if this is a general solution or not.
It's the same file, which you have already tested (the pattern of concrete bases).

I have another interesting issue, I tried to create 66 links, but the element count set itself to 131 and since then it cannot be set to another value. You can enter a different value, but as soon as you focus elsewhere or hit enter, the element count returns to 131. Of course, I tried to restart FC. I've just installed 0.8.2 and the problem persists. I can choose any number as long as it is 131 :-) :-). The assembly file is "Pole_Ucka.FCstd".
Could you reproduce the issue? Perhaps, I accidentally set something incorrectly to inflict such a behaviour?
ASM_Array131.PNG
ASM_Array131.PNG (46.96 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Attachments
Ucko.zip
(64.7 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Regards,

Oak
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Info: I put some elements concerning my vision of assemblies on html pages at the following address :

http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/02_ass_ind.php

Welcome comments on the post :

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30227
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06