Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by jpg87 »

OakLD wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm
jpg87 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am I do not know if I answer your problem, but here is my interpretation :
Hello jpg,

yes, it is a valid answer I suppose and reasonable in some cases. Though, in the given example, the placement of the cubes by their centre point against grid or sketch is quite an important point. As explained in another post, the sketch is an information resource on it's own.
Hello,
(for @realthunder too)
I wanted to test the PlaneAlignment constraint with PartDesign reference or general planes: it would be enough then that the parts would be built using these plans as planes of symmetry and that would be OK.
Test 0: Body_foot1 built into the FC file, moved to the assembly container, and then linked with Element Count = 3. PartDesign's general outline views.
When 2 or more reference planes are selected, the constraint buttons are desperately grayed out (whereas I have already tried these plans for different parts and that it worked).
Can not also select multiple circular plane faces.

test_4feet0.png
test_4feet0.png (63.97 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Test 1: Body_foot1 built into the FC file, moved to the assembly container, and then linked with Element Count = 3. Datum planes created in coincidence with the general plans of PartDesign.
Everything is working.

test_4feet1.png
test_4feet1.png (50.27 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Test 2: Body_foot1 built in an external FC file. 4 links of the same object created in the assembly file and moved to the assembly container. General plans of PartDesign visible.
Everything is working.

test_4feet2.png
test_4feet2.png (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Attachments
test4feet.zip
(194.47 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
levity

Post by levity »

realthunder wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm ... Once done, to refer to an external spreadsheet, simply bring the spreadsheet into the document using an external Link, and refer to it through the local Link object.
I just tried to do this without success... I created a document: "spreadsheet_test_01.fcstd" with a spreadsheet 01 and within this spreadsheet a cell with the alias: "test" and a value: "1234"
spreadsheet_links_01.png
spreadsheet_links_01.png (25.65 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
I saved this document and than created another document: "spreadsheet_test_02.fcstd" and within this document I created a link to the 01 spreadsheet of the first document. Finally I tried to access the alias "test" of the linked spreadsheet by using "=Link_01.test" however this only gives me "#ERR"
spreadsheet_links_02.png
spreadsheet_links_02.png (26.64 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
However I found that it will work if I use it like this "=spreadsheet_test_01#Spreadsheet.test", which is fine for me at the moment.
spreadsheet_links_03.png
spreadsheet_links_03.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Attachments
spreadsheet_test.tar.gz
(4.36 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

jpg87 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pmontainer, and then linked with Element Count = 3. PartDesign's general outline views.
When 2 or more reference planes are selected, the constraint buttons are desperately grayed out (whereas I have already tried these plans for different parts and that it worked).
Can not also select multiple circular plane faces.
This is indeed a bug. I'll fix it soon. Thanks for reporting.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

levity wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm
realthunder wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm ... Once done, to refer to an external spreadsheet, simply bring the spreadsheet into the document using an external Link, and refer to it through the local Link object.
I just tried to do this without success... I created a document: "spreadsheet_test_01.fcstd" with a spreadsheet 01 and within this spreadsheet a cell with the alias: "test" and a value: "1234"
Right, this is a feature yet to be implemented. You just reminded me. I am already planning a new release (0.8) now. I'll most likely add this feature in 0.9.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

realthunder wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:46 am
freedman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am It's late here, tomorrow.
Thanks
Sure, no hurry. Just a guess. Try toggle "Preference->Display->3DView->Use OpenGL Vertex Buffer Object". It sounds like some display problem, and it usually goes away when you disable this option.
I wrote this months ago and thought I would wait awhile and try again later. I just downloaded the latest Assembly3 and the same display problem is still there. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure you have plenty to do. Is this an issue with many users? I want to try Assembly3, it seems that others can use it, not sure if it's OS or what. Open GL makes no difference.

The pic is a puck and a cylinder.
Thanks

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14058 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at FETCH_HEAD)
Hash: 7e5b332370b07f7fa41190033f9295eb3a6faa10
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
assy3_display.JPG
assy3_display.JPG (59.97 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm I wrote this months ago and thought I would wait awhile and try again later. I just downloaded the latest Assembly3 and the same display problem is still there. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure you have plenty to do. Is this an issue with many users? I want to try Assembly3, it seems that others can use it, not sure if it's OS or what. Open GL makes no difference.

The pic is a puck and a cylinder.
Thanks
Can you please attach your file here? Also it will be better to capture a screenshot to show your problem. Also, please try 'View->Standard views->Fit all' and see if it helps.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Here you go. The zoom-full looks the same.
Everything looked correct when the solids came in and when I created the assembly, but when I start to rotate them in the drawing window the screen weirds out.
Thanks
Attachments
view_full_pic.JPG
view_full_pic.JPG (48.17 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
assem_2nd.FCStd
(19.31 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am Here you go. The zoom-full looks the same.
I couldn't reproduce your problem. Based on your screenshot, it looks like something wrong with the view volume. Either the near or far view clip plane is somehow messed up. I can't think of any possible cause. Do you have any external workbench installed? I've attached a file with three copies of bodies you created. One set in assembly, one set in part group, and the other set is not in any container. Can you please try toggle the visibility of various sets, and see any changes?

Also, please attach a picture of your Display preference setting.
Attachments
assem_2nd.FCStd
(39.04 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

No other WB installed.
Preferences attached.

I have it narrowed down a bit more. After I open the file, as I hover over the Parts or Assembly Icon in the tree the screen goes weird. It looks like there is a highlighting occuring. Everything after that is screen messed. That's where it starts and it stays that way until close.

As far as your test file: As soon as I mouse (no click) over any Body/Part/Assy in the tree I see a highlight occur on the solid in the display area. I can see the screen has some ghosting and rotating confirms, the screen is weirded out and the part also goes kind of transparent. They all act about the same because of the highlight.

If I don't go to the tree the screen seems fine.
Thanks
Attachments
v2_pref.JPG
v2_pref.JPG (78.04 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freedman wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 am I have it narrowed down a bit more. After I open the file, as I hover over the Parts or Assembly Icon in the tree the screen goes weird. It looks like there is a highlighting occuring. Everything after that is screen messed. That's where it starts and it stays that way until close.
You can disable mouse over highlight by right click anywhere in the tree view, unselect 'Tree options -> Pre-selection'. Maybe there is something wrong with transparent rendering on your machine. Can you please set transparency on some objects, and see if there is anything wrong.