Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
realthunder

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:08 am

drmacro wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:41 pm
But, now I have this and I can't the LeverAngle to rotate. I want it at about 20 degrees above the horizontal (i.e. rotated CCW by about 130 degrees).
Click the plane coincidence constraint object, set its 'LockAngle' property to true, and then change the 'Angle' property.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:11 am

Gregory son of Carl wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:26 am
I noticed that links now reroute their file path when you do a 'Save As' on a linked part. I'm happy this behavior was added, it's very convenient most of the time, but Is there an option to turn it off? Sometimes I prefer the broken links to help keep track of things while working on more intricate assemblies.
It was an unintentional bug. The linked file path is supposed to be always saved relative to the linking file. Can you elaborate your use case where you prefer the broken link?
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.11) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Gregory son of Carl

Postby Gregory son of Carl » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 pm

realthunder wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:11 am
Can you elaborate your use case where you prefer the broken link?
Sure. I would like the option to make link targets static as a failsafe to avoid making unintentional changes while working on multiple assemblies in the same session.

Consider the case where I'm modelling 2 similar but distinct assemblies (e.g. Tooling Fixtures for a machine shop). I choose to duplicate assembly 1 to use as the template for assembly 2 due to their similar form and function. I then use 'Save As' on the assembly 2 parts when I need to make changes to fit the new design. I keep assembly 1 open as reference to compare parameters and keep things as standardized as possible, but as a result, assembly 1 inherits the new parts I've made along the way. If I'm unaware this has happened, or absent-mindedly save Assembly 1 then I will unintentionally overwrite established work which may or may not be easy to fix.

I know from my experience with CATIA that one solution for this is to develop strict saving discipline (or get PDM), but I still feel a twinge of anxiety every time I'm about to save something.
wsteffe

Postby wsteffe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 am

Hello,
I have just downloaded the file FreeCAD-asm3-Conda-Py3-Qt5-20200812-glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage which appears to be the last release stored on https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases. On that page there is a massage saying that this release was done on Apr 24 which seems a little bit outdated. So I tried to update it with appimageupdatetool-x86_64.AppImage but this tool says that there are no new updates available.
czinehuba

Postby czinehuba » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:09 am

wsteffe wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 am
Hello,
I have just downloaded the file FreeCAD-asm3-Conda-Py3-Qt5-20200812-glibc2.12-x86_64...
That is the latest one. Don't take notice of the post date. As that is when it was first released. Updates will have the date in the name.
wsteffe

Postby wsteffe » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am

Gregory son of Carl wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 pm
Consider the case where I'm modelling 2 similar but distinct assemblies (e.g. Tooling Fixtures for a machine shop). I choose to duplicate assembly 1 to use as the template for assembly 2 due to their similar form and function. I then use 'Save As' on the assembly 2 parts when I need to make changes to fit the new design. I keep assembly 1 open as reference to compare parameters and keep things as standardized as possible, but as a result, assembly 1 inherits the new parts I've made along the way. If I'm unaware this has happened, or absent-mindedly save Assembly 1 then I will unintentionally overwrite established work which may or may not be easy to fix.
In that case, I think you are using the wrong action. 'Save a Copy...' is probably what you want, which effectively duplicate a file without affecting any existing links. You can then open the saved file for further editing.

I know from my experience with CATIA that one solution for this is to develop strict saving discipline (or get PDM), but I still feel a twinge of anxiety every time I'm about to save something.
You can probably try PDM using my branch, which allows you to save the project as a directory. Just create a new directory in the Save dialog, and click open to save to that directory. You can then use external version control software (VCS) to manage this directory. Most of the files are saved using text formats that are friendly with line based diff tool. There is no automating of external VCS inside FreeCAD at the moment, so it is a bit inconvenient. Every time you make a save, you need to manually run VCS, add new files, and delete old files. For example, with 'git', that would be,

Code: Select all

git add . && git commit -m "some commit message"
Note that unlike normal file, saving to a directory won't automatically create backups. It is meant to be used with external VCS.
Gregory son of Carl

Postby Gregory son of Carl » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:17 am

realthunder wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am
In that case, I think you are using the wrong action. 'Save a Copy...' is probably what you want, which effectively duplicate a file without affecting any existing links. You can then open the saved file for further editing.
Ok, That makes sense. I'll give it a try. Thank you for your thoughtful response.
You can probably try PDM using my branch, ...
Dang! what else are you hiding in there? :shock: I guess I should find out for myself. :D
jpg87

Postby jpg87 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 am

realthunder wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am
Hello,
as I have not received a response to my remarks which no doubt went unnoticed, I would like to reiterate them :

I think it would be interesting if the name of the object owning a constraint element would automatically display: eg. in place of ElementXXX appears ElmtXXX_OwnerPieceName.

I also noticed that by creating a group of these items, I get the error message:

Code: Select all

SoFCUnifiedSelection.cpp(2409): Cyclic scene graph: 
Another note: if I create a constraint element from an XX, YY or ZZ work plane of PartDesign, the resulting element always has the same XX orientation. I can of course redirect it later, but is this normal?

Thank you for your answers.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2020/09/21
realthunder

Postby realthunder » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:55 pm

jpg87 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 am
as I have not received a response to my remarks which no doubt went unnoticed, I would like to reiterate them :
Yeah, must have slipped my mind. I'll address those in my next release.