Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by Vincent B »

Still testing but here stuck on the last constraint :roll:
Attachments
support.FCStd
(98.15 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

GlouGlou wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm Still testing but here stuck on the last constraint :roll:
Thanks for reporting. There is a bug in AxialAlignment redundancy handling. I have fixed it. Before the new release, you can work around it by change the AxialAignment to PlaneCoicndent, which has the correct redundancy handling.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:23 pm BTW, Plane Coincident/Alignment/Parallel all support multiple elements.
Hi @realthunder
it would be possible to use the new Transform tool also in A3, instead of the old one?

transform-tool-old.png
transform-tool-old.png (490.19 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
transform-tool.png
transform-tool.png (102.89 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Thx
Maurice
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 am it would be possible to use the new Transform tool also in A3, instead of the old one?
Sure. Just beside the part mover icon in the toolbar, there is the axial mover icon.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Hi @realthunder,
I'm playing a bit with A3 and I noticed these issues:
1) when fusing objects, the result doesn't preserve the colors
2) when copying an object (single object or i.e. boolean result), the copy will lose the color

here a small screencast
losing-colors.gif
losing-colors.gif (871.21 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Thx for having a look
tested with:
  • FreeCAD-asm3-20180331-6008183c-b5489b8-Win64.7z
Last edited by easyw-fc on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am Hi @realthunder,
I'm playing a bit with A3 and I noticed these issues:
1) when fusing objects, the result doesn't preserve the colors
2) when copying an object (single object or i.e. boolen result), the copy will lose the color
Color handling will be dealt with in the next version. I kind of disabled fusion color for this version. The color lost of the copied object is a bug, which I am tracing at this very moment. Thanks for bring this up.
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

For those people who are want to try it out but are on Mac.

https://github.com/dulouie/FreeCAD_asse ... /tag/0.4.1
Check this out!
Matael

Post by Matael »

Hi all !
I would like to try assembly3 with partdesign components. It looke like the best way to import a partdesign is to make a link. Like this, if you modify the pd in the assembly, the modification will be done in the pd too. (am I wrong ?).
My problem is that when I create the link, the name is Linkxxx. Is there a way to keep the name of the document (or the name of the body at least)?
Finally, what is the best practice to tidy all links (I didn't see this in tutorial)? (I ask this because there is a "parts" group where I suppose we should put the imported elements, but I'm really not sure. Maybe is it just a folder to store the part created inside the assembly document?)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Matael wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 am Hi all !
I would like to try assembly3 with partdesign components. It looke like the best way to import a partdesign is to make a link. Like this, if you modify the pd in the assembly, the modification will be done in the pd too. (am I wrong ?).
Yes correct. You can even drag a body to an assembly container in another document, which creates external link. Any modification inside the linked body will be stored in the original document. But you must keep the original document open when work on the assembly.
My problem is that when I create the link, the name is Linkxxx. Is there a way to keep the name of the document (or the name of the body at least)?
Finally, what is the best practice to tidy all links (I didn't see this in tutorial)? (I ask this because there is a "parts" group where I suppose we should put the imported elements, but I'm really not sure. Maybe is it just a folder to store the part created inside the assembly document?)
You can simply rename the link to anything you want. Select it in the tree view, press 'F2'. I didn't auto rename the link because the link can be dynamically changed to other objects, it is kind of difficult to track the changes. I'll probably add that logic in the future.

In Assembly3, the assembly container acts as both a Part and Product container. You don't need the Part group. To create sub-assemblies, simply create another assembly, and drag it into the parent assembly.
Matael

Post by Matael »

ok, thanks for your work and your response !