Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fosselius

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by fosselius »

An issue i am seeing, not sure its asm3 specific.

0. Create body
1. Create sketch1
2. Create pad
3. Create sketch2 on face of pad
4. Create pocket.

Open sketch 1 or 2 and orientation of sketch in relation to pad/pocket will be wrong.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

fosselius wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 am An issue i am seeing, not sure its asm3 specific.

0. Create body
1. Create sketch1
2. Create pad
4. Create pocket.

Open sketch 1 or 2 and orientation of sketch in relation to pad/pocket will be wrong.
It's what we are doing all the time. Can you upload a file?
I don't think it is assembly specific, but I will not yet move it to general help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

fosselius wrote: An issue i am seeing, not sure its asm3 specific.

0. Create body
1. Create sketch1
2. Create pad
4. Create pocket.

I can reproduce this with the link-branch but not with master. The problem didn't occurred with parallel sketches.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

fosselius wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 am An issue i am seeing, not sure its asm3 specific.
Problem confirmed. Thanks for the report.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Mine is more like "am I in the right place?" question because I feel a bit lost. I want to do the followings, do ASM3 help me now or in the near future, or am I totally in the wrong place: (I'll use a car analogy)

1. I want to draw a tire, draw a body, "clone" that tire 3 more times to build the car, then make a small change in the tire (change width), expect to reflect that change to all of the tires (that's what I can do in ASM2)

2. I'll add a front and a rear bumper to the body. Set front bumper width equal to out-to-out distance of front wheels. If I change the tire width or placement again, I expect front bumper to change its width accordingly.

3. I want to place rear bumper to the same distance from ground as the front bumper (this is where plane constraint come into play) and I want to set the height of rear bumper as a function of the front bumper (half of it + 5mm)

4. License plates will be bound to the body with 2 bolts for each. I need to identify where the laser cuts will be placed on the body.

5. I think this car is too long, I need to remove back seats completely and make the car 1 meter shorter. Should I perform the bumper, plates and tire placements again?

The most important question is #2. Can I perform these operations with ASM3? (I'm not asking "how")
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

For the case where change in partA should trigger change in partB:
You can specify parameters in a sheet then use those while designing different parts. Not sure if you can share sheet parameters between documents but if you keep bodies and assembly in the same file it will work.

Change in partA will automatically change placement of partB if element/feature reference survives the change, eq: change the hole placement vs delete the hole.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

ceremcem wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:49 pm Mine is more like "am I in the right place?" question because I feel a bit lost. I want to do the followings, do ASM3 help me now or in the near future, or am I totally in the wrong place: (I'll use a car analogy)
As a general rule of thumb, if there is a need to (auto) change the shape of some model, you can't rely on asm3, at least not alone. asm3 is most suitable for auto arrange 'Placement' of discret models.

fosselius is right, you can use expression to link your model parameter to some placement. You may have trouble using expression with my Links, I'll work on that soon. So, except item 2, the rest can be done using asm3.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Regarding to #2, I'm convinced that it can not be done unless some scripting is involved, so it should be left out of ASM3 context. Thanks for the answers, I'm moving forward.
OakLD

Post by OakLD »

ceremcem wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 am Regarding to #2, I'm convinced that it can not be done unless some scripting is involved, so it should be left out of ASM3 context. Thanks for the answers, I'm moving forward.
You could/should use Spreadsheet workbench to drive the dimensions in a logical way. No scripting required, if I understand your scenario correctly.
I didn't get to fully test it with FreeCAD, but I used it a lot in SolidEdge many years ago and it's really worth learning. In example, I had a common product, a small tank with conical bottom and typical inlets and outlets done this way. So when we received order for a custom (always) tank of this type, I simply typed in diameter and height, saw the volume (to check if it is matching the request), modified in/outlets diameters and about 90% of work on drawings and documentation was done... Very effective.
I'm experimenting with a custom Library-type Workbench in FreeCAD to allow to make such input-driven models (and drawings too!) of common parts (brackets, tanks, links, connection plates, etc.), but I am extremely slow in the progress due to lack of time and lack of experience in the development environment used in FC...
Regards,

Oak
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I think we want to draw a line (no pun intended) in assy3, it should assemble. If we want to go off and start modifying parts and expect assy3 to tell you a file->Body->Face->dim has been modified, that's a big order. That could be the next level "Assemble parametrics".