Assembly 3 (developers state) install method?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Koemi

Assembly 3 (developers state) install method?

Post by Koemi »

Hello,

The Assembly3 workbench (in progress) seems to be a very promising feature, according to the information, video's etc. I actually can't wait to use it! I know it is in developers state, but hell, I want it badly!

Unfortunately I have no idea how to install it.

I have searched a lot, but the only 'help' I could find is this: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3
Although Assembly3 workbench is written in Python, it depends on a few external python extensions. In addition, it relies on quite a few FreeCAD core changes to work properly. At the moment of this writing, these changes have not been merged into upstream yet, and only exists as a forked branch. Pre-built images are available at the release page. Or, if you want to build everything yourself, please check out the build instruction here.
So 5 weblinks further from on to another and reading quite a lot of information I do not see any solution how to proceed... I am a bit afraid of making a download and install mess of my PC by trial and error...

I am familiar with the install and setup proces for macro's. Is it done the same way?

Maybe a step-by-step somewhere on the net to be found?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Assembly 3 (developers state) install method?

Post by sgrogan »

Koemi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 am Maybe a step-by-step somewhere on the net to be found?
Download the win build from here: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... /tag/0.2.0
Unzip it with 7zip. Start freecad by double clicking on the FreeCAD.exe in the bin sub-directory of the un-zipped folder.
This will be independent from any other FreeCAD you have on your system, except for sharing system and user preferences.
It's not installed so you can simply delete the whole folder when there is an update.
"fight the good fight"
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

Thanks sgrogan,

It works! BAMMMM! 8-)

The whole GUI is also much sharper, great!

Depending on 'bugs' ofcourse, I can recommend this to anyone.

Now time to start this: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... Operations

Only one question remains: where can I find updates? Can I get a reminder from somewhere or... :?:
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Koemi wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 pm Only one question remains: where can I find updates? Can I get a reminder from somewhere or...
You can Watch here: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases
and follow this thread.
"fight the good fight"
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

Thanks mate.

Just finished the tutorial. great stuff!

Then I tried to adapt an Assembly which was made with assembly2.

That did not work very well unfortunately. The structure of the combo view of AS3 compared with AS2 is quite different.

Any change in the future that it can be exchanged?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Assembly 2 and Assembly 3 relations and workflow is different. You need to delete Assembly 2 relations and re-add Assembly 3 relations to migrate the Assembly.
Der Herr Gruber

Post by Der Herr Gruber »

Hi Realthunder,

I like FreeCad a lot but the assembly thing is not too useable imho. So from what I read I would like to give your workbench a try. But I am working on a Mac. Do thing there is chance to get a precompiled build for MacOS soon?

Regards
Andy
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

@ Herr (Andy) Gruber:

Maybe better to reply your question in another thread to get an answer (I am not familiar with Mac's, so I can't help)... Realthunder is not present in this thread.

Try to reply here for instance: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25712 8-)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Der Herr Gruber wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:34 am Hi Realthunder,

I like FreeCad a lot but the assembly thing is not too useable imho. So from what I read I would like to give your workbench a try. But I am working on a Mac. Do thing there is chance to get a precompiled build for MacOS soon?

Regards
Andy
I only have limited working knowledge of MacOS. I'll give it a try when I got time. Any help is highly appreciated.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »