Hidden parts in sub assembly are not hidden in main assembly

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Koemi

Hidden parts in sub assembly are not hidden in main assembly

Post by Koemi »

I created an sub assembly containing a certain part. This needs to be hidden when this sub assembly is placed inside the main assembly (capice?). :|

To make this possible I hide the specific part in the sub assembly and save it.

But when I place this sub assembly inside the main assembly the hided part appears again. Unfortunately I cannot hide this part in the main assembly, because the complete sub assembly will then disappear.

Is there another possibility to achieve want I want? :?:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Koemi

Re: Hidden parts in sub assembly are not hidden in main assembly

Post by Koemi »

... and the same happens when I try to place a sub assembly in a main assembly containing transparent parts. They appear as none transparent. :cry:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Koemi wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm capice?
Nop. You will have to be more verbose with the explanation.
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

...more verbose with the explanation
Ok. I'll try :?

1. In a sub-assembly I place several parts, it doesn't matter what. Let's say a cube and a cylinder.
2. In this sub-assembly I hide the cube and save it. So the sub-assembly contains 1 visible cylinder and a unvisible cube.
3. Now I place this sub-assembly in a new (main) assembly.
4. In this main assembly the cube appears again so the cube and cylinder are visible.

The same happens when I use the same procedure as described above, but now I make the cube transparent and the cylinder is non-transparent.
In the main assembly both parts are non-transparent.

The same happens when I use the same procedure as described above, but now I give the cube another color than the cylinder.
In the main assembly both have the same color.

So my question is: Is there another possibility to achieve want I want? Without losing the workaround sub-assembly in a main-assembly.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Koemi wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:15 am 1. In a sub-assembly I place several parts, it doesn't matter what. Let's say a cube and a cylinder.
2. In this sub-assembly I hide the cube and save it. So the sub-assembly contains 1 visible cylinder and a unvisible cube.
3. Now I place this sub-assembly in a new (main) assembly.
4. In this main assembly the cube appears again so the cube and cylinder are visible.
Can't confirm on my side. The Cube stays invisible.
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

OK. Correction on my part. In my description above, I tried to explain in a simple way what was going on. In reality, my assembly is much larger. After your reaction, triplus, I have now done the same thing with a cube and a cylinder and I also see that it actually does work. Strange.

Also adjusting colors works well. Only if you make parts transparent in the sub assembly and save it. Then the transparency is not visible in the main assembly.

However; in my actual drawing (a larger main assembly) it does not work. The hidden parts do not disappear.

I have tried to get the result by using mux or create group. But the results remain the same.

I guess I have to live with it... :|
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Koemi wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:01 am OK. Correction on my part. In my description above, I tried to explain in a simple way what was going on. In reality, my assembly is much larger. After your reaction, triplus, I have now done the same thing with a cube and a cylinder and I also see that it actually does work. Strange.

Also adjusting colors works well. Only if you make parts transparent in the sub assembly and save it. Then the transparency is not visible in the main assembly.
Good to hear that.
However; in my actual drawing (a larger main assembly) it does not work. The hidden parts do not disappear.

I have tried to get the result by using mux or create group. But the results remain the same.

I guess I have to live with it... :|
No. You likely wouldn't have to live with it. As you i guess could just ask. ;) With the information you provided we can only conclude it likely should work. But why it doesn't work in your use case. For that we ATM just don't have enough informations to start making conclusions.