Another approach to assembly solver (A2plus)

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
manuelkrause

Re: Another approach to assembly solver (A2plus)

Postby manuelkrause » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 am

kbwbe wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:08 pm
manuelkrause wrote: ping
Turro75 wrote: ping
Hi Manuel, hi Turro,
I modified "devel" branch. Now A2plus forces pathes relative to assembly-file during importing parts. Please test on your systems.
Additionaly there is a new tool, available in A2plus menu, which converts absolute pathes of imported parts to relative ones.
Hi Klaus, welcome back! :-)

Your changes work well on my Linux system. All paths are stored correctly in the respective property field upon conversion.
Hopefully this would also work for windows users.
Turro75

Postby Turro75 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 am

kbwbe wrote:
Hi Manuel, hi Turro,
I modified "devel" branch. Now A2plus forces pathes relative to assembly-file during importing parts. Please test on your systems.
Additionaly there is a new tool, available in A2plus menu, which converts absolute pathes of imported parts to relative ones.
Welcome Back!

I'm working on

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

when importing, it reports a relative path (i.e../../../prisma.FCStd) , then I tried to edit it and reloading it, then the path come back to absolute (C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DisegniCad\prisma.FCStd).

I did it twice, it makes it absolute when I forgot to close the obj file, it failed to refresh it as the file was already opened. So I close it and repeated the refresh, now the path become absolute.

IMHO since I'm mostly working with library of objects located away from assembly root I would prefer the path relative or absolute as a choice, or be able to set a preferred location where remote objs are located or the file select windows has to point when opened.
manuelkrause

Postby manuelkrause » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:27 am

Turro75 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 am
kbwbe wrote:
Hi Manuel, hi Turro,
Welcome Back!

I'm working on

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

when importing, it reports a relative path (i.e../../../prisma.FCStd) , then I tried to edit it and reloading it, then the path come back to absolute (C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DisegniCad\prisma.FCStd).

I did it twice, it makes it absolute when I forgot to close the obj file, it failed to refresh it as the file was already opened. So I close it and repeated the refresh, now the path become absolute.

IMHO since I'm mostly working with library of objects located away from assembly root I would prefer the path relative or absolute as a choice, or be able to set a preferred location where remote objs are located or the file select windows has to point when opened.
Hi @Turro75 !
Interesting... I tried to reproduce this on my Linux like in your description. On here everything kept working over a span of folders (e.g. "./../../VCE-WORK/W353/Pleuel-TEST.fcstd").
Do your library and assembly-files' locations reside on different partitions/ drives (C:, D:, ...) ?
And, BTW, I don't need to close the obj to-be-imported before import. Just save after changing and import/ reload.

Best regards to you too!

P.S.: How do you make up that pretty system information you posted?
kbwbe

Postby kbwbe » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:06 am

Turro75 wrote:

Hi Turro,
I will have a look at the bug. It seems, that we need to make the pathes configurable between relative/absolute.

Did you ever try to work with the project-folder preference ?
In my application, i hold every .fcstd file beneath my CAD-folder, also the part libraries. If using this option, pathes are ignored and the filenames are searched within this folder, including search in all subfolders. This also works with existing A2p assemblies, with complete pathes stored inside. It works fine. But you have to keep your backup files outside of such a folder, as only one occurence per file is allowed.
KBWBE

https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus
latest release: v0.4.26b, installable via FreeCAD's addon manager
Tutorials:
Paul Randall: https://youtu.be/mnkecA9S7kc
anisim (deutsch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcaFq6IEJM
manuelkrause

Postby manuelkrause » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 am

kbwbe wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:06 am
Turro75 wrote:

Hi Turro,
I will have a look at the bug. It seems, that we need to make the pathes configurable between relative/absolute.

Did you ever try to work with the project-folder preference ?
In my application, i hold every .fcstd file beneath my CAD-folder, also the part libraries. If using this option, pathes are ignored and the filenames are searched within this folder, including search in all subfolders. This also works with existing A2p assemblies, with complete pathes stored inside. It works fine. But you have to keep your backup files outside of such a folder, as only one occurence per file is allowed.
@kbwbe:
The main limitation I saw with the "project-folder preference" is, that it ships as a global preference, so that I never used it so far.
Your "relative paths" approach is really logical to me and more practical, as it refers to actually related files one can hold up for a dedicated "relatively small" project. And it is useful for backups and relocations, of course. I find it useful for my projects, but @Turro75 is quite right, that one should be able to choose. From a library of parts I wouldn't want to re-arrange the paths in the assembly everytime.
Let's avoid confusion for FC's sake.
kkremitzki

Postby kkremitzki » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm

NormandC wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 am
sgrogan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 pm
Do you mind to complain where you downloaded the snap package? There was an experiment almost 2 years ago, that isn't maintained, and this package trips up users when they find it. It needs to be removed.
I already tried to have the snap package removed and I got not response. Apart from blatant security issues, there does not seem to be an authority that decides what gets included or removed. Once a snap package is included, it will stay there forever no matter how crappy it is. :roll:

And the $%?& snap package is actually still in the Ubuntu Software Centre, at least on Ubuntu 18.04. :x
I made a post in the Snapcraft forum: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/freecad-sn ... unity/7636
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
manuelkrause

Postby manuelkrause » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm
NormandC wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 am
sgrogan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:15 pm
Do you mind to complain where you downloaded the snap package? There was an experiment almost 2 years ago, that isn't maintained, and this package trips up users when they find it. It needs to be removed.
I already tried to have the snap package removed and I got not response. Apart from blatant security issues, there does not seem to be an authority that decides what gets included or removed. Once a snap package is included, it will stay there forever no matter how crappy it is. :roll:

And the $%?& snap package is actually still in the Ubuntu Software Centre, at least on Ubuntu 18.04. :x
I made a post in the Snapcraft forum: https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/freecad-sn ... unity/7636
Thank you for also taking care of it!
I'm not used to Ubuntu and the creation of snap packages, but wouldn't the most easiest way be this: Someone with knowledge creates an actual snap-package and overwrites/supersedes the current wrong FreeCAD entry? My idea behind is, then at least the most recent version shows up on top of searches.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm
Which is exactly what I did months ago, with no response. Back then I linked the topic here on the forum.

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/request-fo ... store/5191

The feeling I get is that apart from the Canonical-sponsored packages, the snap repository is mostly left unattended.

manuelkrause wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 pm
wouldn't the most easiest way be this: Someone with knowledge creates an actual snap-package and overwrites/supersedes the current wrong FreeCAD entry? My idea behind is, then at least the most recent version shows up on top of searches.
This requires a volunteer to take charge of this. Nobody here has knowledge about snap packaging, they would have to work at learning it. As usual, volunteers are in short supply. Also, I have no idea if that package would supersede the old one, or simply be offered besides it.
EskiBrew

Postby EskiBrew » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 pm

NormandC wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 pm
The feeling I get is that apart from the Canonical-sponsored packages, the snap repository is mostly left unattended.
I get that feeling too - I am actively avoiding snap packages at the moment, they see to have some oddities! :roll:
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Canonical is pushing hard its snap package system. Having our own up-to-date FreeCAD snap packages would probably be better than our current PPAs for end users, because snap packages (not all? not sure how it works) can be found directly in the Ubuntu software store. Our PPAs require manually adding the repository sources first, something many end users don't even know exist.

I too avoid snap packages and prefer to install deb packages when they exist. snaps take a longer time to load than native installed packages.