asm3: problem constraining bearing on axis

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

asm3: problem constraining bearing on axis

Post by freman »

Hi,

I am trying to represent a bearing on an axis with a spacer ( made of three washers ). I have wrapped the three washers as a spacer assembly with constraints to tie them together. Then I have a parent assembly with bearing, axis and spacer.
See attached.

I have added constraints to ensure all three are coaxial and to tie the bearing underside to the spacer. That's fine.

However, I can not position the bearing along the axis. Ideally it should align with the groove ( I'll worry about a circlip later. ;) )

I have tried selecting the lower groove surface or egde and the axis end faces. Though asm3 seems happy with the selection and enables the PlaneAlignment tool it always fails. The report window always shows something about not having a vector for the object ( though it is not clear which object, I'm guessing the axis.

Code: Select all

return [ e.Vector.dot(r.i)+e.Vector.dot(r.j) for e in args ]
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'Vector'
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.Unknown
Build type: Unknown
Python version: 2.7.15
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
I originally positioned the them where I wanted when constructing the assy. but when I placed this assy into a parent and constrained the spacer to another surface, the space and bearing moved but the axis did not. The made me realise that I had not constrained them together.

What do I need to do to constrain the bearing position?

thanks.
Attachments
bearing-assy-collection.tar.gz
(78.19 KiB) Downloaded 39 times