a2plus does not work. Need help

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shIxx

a2plus does not work. Need help

Post by shIxx »

Hello guys,
A2plus does not work for me no matter what I do. Have already did an update. Then I deleted the WB and reinstalled it. even if I convert the parts in a2plus form (second gif). What am I doing wrong or am I overlooking something totally simple?

Same in FreeCAD .17 (stable)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15380 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 25eb9a22e9b573d9c1c936b88bfee38c18e690e7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
a2plus-2.gif
a2plus-2.gif (443.23 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
a2plus.gif
a2plus.gif (635.46 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
herbk
Veteran

Re: a2plus does not work. Need help

Post by herbk »

Hi,
that's not the way how A2+ works...

Working with a2+ means: create some parts and save each at a own file. Open a new file and import the parts you need for the assembly
Gruß Herbert
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

herbk wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm Hi,
that's not the way how A2+ works...

Working with a2+ means: create some parts and save each at a own file. Open a new file and import the parts you need for the assembly
Thanks for the quick answer Herbert.
But I read a post from you and that was also an important reason to switch to A2plus. So how is the wokflow? I do not think that you save each screw individually and then change the FreeCAD project to the assambly so you can mount it.
I'm just confused.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31384#

Grüße, Thomas

EDIT:
It works if at least one part has been imported. Than it works with other parts even if they are not imported, you just have to click on "convert o A2plus form". I am not a programmer but it looks like a2+ is writing something in the first imported file. I think this coud easily be fixed.

EDIT2:
And when you convert the fasterners too, then the constraints are not messed up in the model tree. In this way it is also possible to use other features like "dublicate part".
Attachments
a2plus-3.gif
a2plus-3.gif (894.14 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
in my mind it's one of the most important things to personalysize FC to the own needs. If that is done you save a lot of WB switching.
My personal setup is adding "new sketch" from sketcher WB, "Array" from draft WB, "Chamfer holes" from Fasteners WB and "logistics spreedsheet" from A2+ WB to Part WB, wich is my most used WB.
To the A2+ WB i add my most used screws and washers, the "flip direction" and the fasteners BIM button.

For the use of the constraints you have to play a bit with it to get the best workflow. Somtimes it save some clicks if you use the "circular edge constraint" instad of 3 times flat face constraint...

To input screws just select each hole where a screw should be placed, then click the screw (or washer) you want to place there. Sometimes screws get placed in wrong direction, but for that its a button "flip screw" in Fasteners WB (wich i have in my A2+ setup to).
But you are right, used at that way fasteners are just placed at it's place but not constrained. - The one reason why i would like to have Fasteners WB as a part of A2+ WB... ;) ;)

For "regular" parts (such you made in part or PartDesign) you can use the duplicate button of a2+ instead new import the file.
Gruß Herbert
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

in my mind it's one of the most important things to personalysize FC to the own needs. If that is done you save a lot of WB switching.
My personal setup is adding "new sketch" from sketcher WB, "Array" from draft WB, "Chamfer holes" from Fasteners WB and "logistics spreedsheet" from A2+ WB to Part WB, wich is my most used WB.
To the A2+ WB i add my most used screws and washers, the "flip direction" and the fasteners BIM button.
I'm totaly with you and I will also adjust my WB if I have a good workflow
For "regular" parts (such you made in part or PartDesign) you can use the duplicate button of a2+ instead new import the file.
This don't work for me. If I click on dublicate then a error appiers "Not an Importet part". Can you explain that to me in more detail?
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

shIxx wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:58 pm
This don't work for me. If I click on dublicate then a error appiers "Not an Importet part". Can you explain that to me in more detail?
Hm, thats strange, here it works, - but (thats my foult by explanation) only with the parts wich are importet with the "add part..." button.

If i try that with a screw wich i insertet from fasteners WB, also if i use the buttons of my personal WB i have at A2+, it dosn't work. But that's not a bug, because a screw insertet at this way is not "registred" as A2+ import.
If you want to insert this screw in a assembly you have to use the "convert Part to A2+ form" option first.
Gruß Herbert
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

herbk wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:02 pm Hm, thats strange, here it works, - but (thats my foult by explanation) only with the parts wich are importet with the "add part..." button.

If i try that with a screw wich i insertet from fasteners WB, also if i use the buttons of my personal WB i have at A2+, it dosn't work. But that's not a bug, because a screw insertet at this way is not "registred" as A2+ import.
If you want to insert this screw in a assembly you have to use the "convert Part to A2+ form" option first.
If this is not a bug, then I would like to report this as a feature request (see my post EDIT above). It should be possible to convert a body from the part design or part WB to an A2 + form and then apply constraints to it. That would be a huge enrichment for the entire workflow. Finally, it also works with the old assambly2 WB.

I imagine it as follows. I have created one or more body's in the Part Design WB. Then maybe add a few gears from GearsFC WB or add bearing's from the BOLTS makro, etc. Then mount everthing in A2 + with screws from Fasteners WB together. And maybe finally do in TechDraw the 2D drawing or optimize in Mesh Design for 3D printing. Of course, the WB's are personalized eg. added Array from the Draft WB to the Part Design and added screws from the fasteners to A2 +.
Thats the way i am doing it with assambly2 til now. I only use the "impoert part" for external geometrie. For example I construct a case for a stepper motor and than I import the motor as .step and constrain it to the case in assambly 2