assembly without solver

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: assembly without solver

Post by triplus »

I didn't have all that much time in the past month to try out:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 44#p285644

I see that in between an Assembly 4 module was made available. New thread about it was opened here:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34585

Best therefore if instructions could be converted to a step-by-step Assembly 4 tutorial:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 85#p291364
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Zolko wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 am but I don't know how to use it
emills2 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:59 am i never do anything more complicated than shown here actually usually much less complicated:
http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

creating a local git folder and cloning a github repo i only did once or twice. wasn't hard, but can't remember clearly. i don't use the fancy github GUI tool, but they also give you a "Git Shell". which is awesome because it give me a good unix shell on windows

in practice, day to day looks like this

cd ~
cd ./AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Mod/Silk (get to my git folder)
git status (shows me how many files i changed, in red)
git add --all (i basically always add all my changes)
git status (shows me how many files i added to the 'queue', now in green)
git commit -m 'mandatory commit message' (i actually have to type in something here)
git status (shows me all changes are taken care of)
git push origin master ('push' all commits to github)

if i actually did something through the website, like accept soemone's contribution, then i
git pull
nice ... only trouble is, that the first step is missing here: how in the bloody hell do I first create the f****cking repository ? I have a repo at GitHub, I have a local directory, and then ? How do I link them ? My login at GibHub has a '@' in it (it's a mail address) therefore git clone username@host:/path/to/repository fails.

I tried the SVN interface, and that doesn't work either !

So I'll upload a ZIP. Who was the *%$3[& moron who thought that SVN is not good enough ? What might be good for the kernel with millions of lines and thousands of contributors is uselessly complicated for projects with 500 lines and a single coder, what's not to understand in that !!!! :twisted: :evil: I can manage it by hand, FFS ! Why use Git for that ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

You connect them via git remote. I created a guide on Source_code_management#A_note_about_Remotes check it out and report if the instructions make sense.
Zolko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:31 pm Who was the *%$3[& moron who thought that SVN is not good enough ? What might be good for the kernel with millions of lines and thousands of contributors is uselessly complicated for projects with 500 lines and a single coder, what's not to understand in that !!!! I can manage it by hand, FFS ! Why use Git for that ?
Linus Torvalds created git. :ugeek:
<awkward silence>
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:57 pm Linus Torvalds created git. :ugeek:
<awkward silence>
that's my point: why should whatever Linus created in whatever use-case for him, be automatically the best/good solution for everybody in every scenario ? I'm perfectly fine with SVN, all I need are the 5 basic commands:
  • check-out
  • update
  • commit
  • add
  • revert
I don't need anything more, and 99% of humanity doesn't either. Now, please tell me how I do that in git ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I perfectly understand what you mean, I have not made friends with git yet either. Currently I would like to revert everything to a plain vanilla master, because GIT tells me that I'm behind and ahead at the same time. It did not seem to be simple, so I postponed it for later. I am eager to see the answers to your question.

If I it will be working again - and I'm sure it will - I see a big advantage in GIT with it's pull requests where tests can be made before committing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@Zolko

Once you will start using Git you will start to realize more and more on why it has become de facto industry standard. Companies like Microsoft would have never migrated to Git if it wouldn't be the best possible solution we have ATM. Indeed Linus created both Linux and Git and that is just out of this world.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I prefer to use git in a GUI interface, I learned it so much faster that way. I made a page on the wiki dedicated to it (though the app is proprietary, it is free to use for FOSS activities.
Gitkraken
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 am I prefer to use git in a GUI interface, I learned it so much faster that way. I made a page on the wiki dedicated to it (though the app is proprietary, it is free to use for FOSS activities.
Gitkraken
why bother with a proprietary program? When we first moved to git I found Git-Cola mostly did everything I needed and that was years ago, I also at one time used Git-Gui, KDE has git functionality from its file manager "Dolphin". Of course you end up doing a lot with just the command line once you get used to it. The Gnome developers created a Git GUI program that can run on other desktop environments as well, but I have not personal used it.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 am I prefer to use git in a GUI interface, I learned it so much faster that way. I made a page on the wiki dedicated to it (though the app is proprietary, it is free to use for FOSS activities.
Gitkraken
The open source Linux version of GitHub Desktop is also available...
https://github.com/shiftkey/desktop/releases
a GH conversation reference
https://github.com/desktop/desktop/issu ... -441020409