ASM3: Designing / Changing parts.

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dh9ts

ASM3: Designing / Changing parts.

Post by dh9ts »

Hello,

I started playing with the ASM3 workbench with a simple project: A drawer for my kitchen ;)

So, my idea is to sketch all the parts and then add holes and further details as the design gets along.

At the moment my design is at follows. Now I like to add the holes for screws, sinks and so on. For example the red holes. These should be positioned
regarding to the part "Schienenträger unten". But I cannot get a sketch in which I can use the other part as an reference for the placements of the holes.

How can I accomplish something like this? I also attached the Freecad file (Freecad 0.18, ASM3 Release 20180831)

Many thanks in advance :)

Thorsten
Attachments
asm3_test.png
asm3_test.png (174.71 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Kücheneinschub.fcstd
(57.56 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
dh9ts

Re: ASM3: Designing / Changing parts.

Post by dh9ts »

Ok, solved. Found my "Spacebar" ;)

Did not notice that the objects are hidden when I add a sketch. When I blend them in everything is working.

Best regards.
Thorsten
dh9ts

Post by dh9ts »

Ok, I still can not use other objects as references.

Is this possible?

Best regards,
Thorsten
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

First of all, i think its a bit overkill to use asm3 for what you are doing right now. It should be possible but i think you make it hard for yourself.

Take a look at this:
https://youtu.be/b07qbhYHZbU

I think that is what you really want. You can save the spreadsheet as drawer and then the length as an cell alias "length". Then you assign the length for your sketch constraint as =drawer.length same can be done for position and rotation. You can have as many spreadsheets you want.

Use Part design Part for positioning (think of it as a subassembly).

You should get a structure like this:

Code: Select all

Part
  Body
  Body2
Part2
  Body3
  Body4
Or in your terms

Code: Select all

Top Drawer
  Front wall
  Back wall
  Left side 
  Right side
  Bottom
  Handle
Bottom Drawer
  Front wall
  Back wall
  Left side 
  Right side
  Bottom
  Handle

Another way is to put a Part inside a Part container to get a nested behaviour, this is good for moving an group of objects

Now i think this video will show you how to do part reference from a sketch:
https://youtu.be/8Bmcgn2RBGI
But i really would not recommend doing that as the referenced face will change every time you modify the part and things will break down all the time.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

I didn't get the intention. For example, do you want to create a hole on a part by using a bolt component? (Thus, moving the bolt will cause the hole move)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

ceremcem wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:49 am I didn't get the intention. For example, do you want to create a hole on a part by using a bolt component? (Thus, moving the bolt will cause the hole move)
It should be reversed. Moving the hole should move the bold. Otherwise you get circular references.
ceremcem

Post by ceremcem »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:56 am Moving the hole should move the bold. Otherwise you get circular references.
Not necessarily: https://github.com/ceremcem/fc-asm3-cut-window
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

If you use an assembly cut i agree but if you use a part cut i disagree. If you now the sequence of don't getting circular references... i don't know them so i create them...