A2plus What are the options for for patterns and arrays

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dan-miel

Re: A2plus What are the options for for patterns and arrays

Post by dan-miel »

herbk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm The array has only the information where to place the first bolt and which distances all other bolts have to the first bolt. Only the first bolt is constraint to a hole.
If you change the distance of the holes together, the array don't notice that, because there are no informations about other holes at it..
Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 pm The lack of good pattern options is one of the featers that i miss most about part design
I uploaded a rough idea of pattering and arrays to YouTube. It uses cloning. If you try the macro you can move the boards and when you press the calculate button the program deletes the old clones and creates new ones by running through the list of features. Information is stored as strings so it should be able to be saved to scripted objects and use those to updated the assembly when a person changes the parts. All information would be stored in the assembly file.
Would this be better than an imported picture, how would it affect the BOMs. I'm a newbee here so please bring up any issues so I'll know if I'm wasting time trying to go further.
I forgot to add a Fix constraint to the clone otherwise it might be bumped out of position.
Any thoughts? Macro is below
Dan

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Attachments
Patterns .FCMacro
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
decoo

Re: A2plus What are the options for for patterns and arrays

Post by decoo »

Maybe, easiest way will be to change BOM script behavior to allow usage of Draft-> Matrix (or pattern)?
Pattern needed for sure...