Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
im7thson

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by im7thson »

I did tried with spreadsheet but something was doing wrong and it kept crushing. Thanks for the file with variables, need to research that.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Zolko wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 pm there is already a user BassMati, you're another person ?
Yes, basmati and BassMati are different instances of a human ;-)
I deducted the bass part of the name from the bass guitar, which I play from time to time...
im7thson

Post by im7thson »

Zolko wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:48 pm
im7thson wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:47 pm EDIT: in the attached file, you can control the Height of both the Door and the Box with the Variables in Model. Was that what you wanted to do ?
How did you added that object labeled variables in the tree of the model? In the list of addons there is one that probably can do this, dynamic data, but i'm not sure.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

im7thson wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm How did you added that object labeled variables in the tree of the model?

Code: Select all

part = App.ActiveDocument.addObject('App::Part', 'MyPart')
vars = part.newObject('App::FeaturePython','Variables')
vars.addProperty( 'App::PropertyFloat', 'Height', 'Variables' )
vars.Height = 10.0
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
im7thson

Post by im7thson »

Thank you, I know almost nothing about programming and scripts, but somehow managed to understand how to use your code.) Hope maybe some similar functionality will be added to assembly4 )
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

im7thson wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:06 pm Thank you, I know almost nothing about programming and scripts, but somehow managed to understand how to use your code.) Hope maybe some similar functionality will be added to assembly4 )
It is in the next release
im7thson

Post by im7thson »

Zolko wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm It is in the next release
Thats amazing. :D
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

there is a new version of Assembly4, 0.7. It's a very big update, there are 2 new features:

• intergration of the Fasteners Workbench, it is now possible to insert a screw, nut or washer from the fasteners workbench, retaining the dynamic behaviour (type and size can be modified after assembly), and the placements are native Assembly4 attachments.
  • inclusion of a Variables FeaturePython object, that allows to easily set variables in the entire document. This should help built parametric assemblies in a single file.
The AttachmentOffset is now stored directly in the App::Link, and thus the file format has changed, and former Assembly4 files can be opened but the placements must be re-done.
joe.belladonna

Post by joe.belladonna »

Hello Zolko,

I have tested your assembly and I must admit it is great, and you are on the right path, when we are talking about assembling. There are a few issues I have with assembling with your Assembly 4. These issues are maybe already resolved, but I was unable to find anything about them here in a FreeCAD forum. It is possible that I wasn't looking careful enough, and if that is the case, I apologize for bothering you.

I was trying to use Assembly 4 for assembling cabinet furniture. Like in the picture1, I have created one part named "Panel". Then I linked that part four times to create left, right, bottom and top side of a Model named Box. I have used Variables to set dimensions of those panels. So far everything worked as expected. :)
picture1.png
picture1.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
My next step was to assemble several Boxes in one ParentAssembly. My intention was to use Box assembly similar to the usage of the Panel part in the Box assembly. I simply link Box assembly several times to get a ParentAssembly with lets say four boxes. I managed to do that, but not like I was expecting. Box was linked, but Variables were empty. Like in the picture2. Everything was there except for Variables.
picture2.png
picture2.png (15.48 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
My questions are as following:
  • Is it possible to "transfer" Variables with a link to an Assembly Model?
  • Is it possible to "detach" link after linking, but to keep all the properties of a linked part? I would like to link my Box and then "detach" it and change Variables so my Box will have some specific dimensions. Then I would like to link my Box second time, but this time with different dimensions. That way, I will have two Boxes with all the properties of an original Box, but with different values.
Thanks in advance.
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Variables: Tumbs up, Zolko!

This is a feature I was looking for. Previously I used a Spreadsheet object for hosting project-variables, but the spreadsheet seems to slow down significantly with the project size, because every cell change causes a model recalculation. Then I turned to use a Part Design Body with dedicated Sketches. Works, but is not perfect because for instance, one cannot use calculated (Reference) values from the same sketch in a formula. Furthermore, A sketch cannot be annotated, which is quite important for this kind of abstract, definition or skeleton sketches.