Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Zolko

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Postby Zolko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:21 pm

joe.belladonna wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:34 pm
I need to draw many cabinets with different dimensions. My intention was to use FreeCAD to draw one parametric chipboard cabinet, and import it several times but with different dimensions.
I very much understand your need, and I have the same need, but today App::Link cannot do that. I have also asked for that feature, but without success. May-be you can chime-in and better explain what is the need ?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p343116

joe.belladonna wrote:
I tried with Assembly4 and copying and it worked until I close the file. When I open it again, linked parts were hidden.
You need to move your parts into the Parts group in the document of the Model, before the Model. See:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 38#p347909
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — tutorials here and here
joe.belladonna

Postby joe.belladonna » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Zolko wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:21 pm
You need to move your parts into the Parts group in the document of the Model, before the Model.
The strange thing is that my parts (the two I copied) are in the Parts group, and then I linked them into the Model
gntech

Postby gntech » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Zolko wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:21 pm
joe.belladonna wrote:
I need to draw many cabinets with different dimensions. My intention was to use FreeCAD to draw one parametric chipboard cabinet, and import it several times but with different dimensions.
I very much understand your need, and I have the same need
I definitely understand this as well. This is a common feature in commercial CAD systems. In Solidworks it is called Configurations. A part can have several configurations. You define your configuration names and what dimensions should be changed and what value they should have for the different configurations.

A simple example below. Two configurations called "Long" and "Short". The thing that changes between the configurations are just two dimensions in a sketch (d5 and d9 in the example) Everything else is constant.
freecad_configurations.png
freecad_configurations.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 476 times
In the part there is a dropdown box where you chose which configurations should be active. Every instance of the part in an assembly can have indivudal choice.

Code: Select all

Example:
PartInstance1 = Part:Short
PartInstance2 = Part:Long
PartInstance3 = Part:Long
alonso_jamm

Postby alonso_jamm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Zolko wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:57 pm

I think it would be very useful. The point I see though is that you might be able to come up with an automagic solution for some use-cases, but I also think that many people have many needs, and also many different ways of doing their stuff, so I don't see how an automatic solution would look like. But for some uses, that could turn out to cover a very large user-base, I definitively think that it is possible to do (much) better than today.

So if you have ideas, please tell them.
After a little bit of research I found that the draft workbench already has a feature that create arrays (linear and polar) of links, Draft LinkArray. It seems to fulfill my user-case and it may be helpful for other user-cases. I first used Assembly4 to attach a link of a gear into the assembly file. Then I used LinkArray to create a polar array of the linked gear. I only had to set up the "Array Type," "Number Polar," and "Center" parameters of the created array. Do you think it would be a good addition to Assembly 4?
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm

alonso_jamm wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:46 pm
Draft LinkArray. [...] I first used Assembly4 to attach a link of a gear into the assembly file. Then I used LinkArray [...] Do you think it would be a good addition to Assembly 4?
Yes, definitively, that would be great. Do you think you could try to adapt-it ? The usage you're describing is the one we should aim-for: a first manual link in the assembly, and then link-array to duplicate that link. Yes, that would be extremely useful.
alonso_jamm

Postby alonso_jamm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Zolko wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, definitively, that would be great. Do you think you could try to adapt-it ? The usage you're describing is the one we should aim-for: a first manual link in the assembly, and then link-array to duplicate that link. Yes, that would be extremely useful.
Yes, I could try. However, I am not sure what you exactly mean by "adapt-it." Can you explain what you mean by that?
Zolko

Postby Zolko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 pm

alonso_jamm wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm
Yes, I could try. However, I am not sure what you exactly mean by "adapt-it." Can you explain what you mean by that?
Well, to make it usable directly from the Assembly WB, without having to change to the Draft WB.
alonso_jamm

Postby alonso_jamm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Zolko wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 pm
Well, to make it usable directly from the Assembly WB, without having to change to the Draft WB.
Sure, I can try to do that. Just that I have a couple of exams and assignments due next week and I already spent quite a bit of time playing with the Expression Engine. So I don't have a lot of free time right now, but I will work on bringing the LinkArray into Assembly4 next weekend.
basmati

Postby basmati » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:29 am

joe.belladonna wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:45 pm
basmati wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32 pm
I think I would clone the original part (or the Body inside it) and put this clone in its own part.
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly. Here are my files. Can you please show me what you mean in those files. Thanks in advance.
Attached you find what I meant.
But I quickly realised that that is not what you want to do (scaling the boxes).
You might want to create one assembly (and one file) per box and set the different sizes all in one spreadsheet.

Depending on the number of different box sizes this might be a solution.
Maybe someone else has a smarter Idea?
Attachments
AssemblyOfBoxesWithCloning.FCStd
(18.13 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
im7thson

Postby im7thson » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 am

joe.belladonna wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:45 pm
basmati wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:32 pm
I think I would clone the original part (or the Body inside it) and put this clone in its own part.
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly. Here are my files. Can you please show me what you mean in those files. Thanks in advance.
Why all panels are made separately? Is there a special reason cause it will be a hell of work.