Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MIKE_BRANDT

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by MIKE_BRANDT »

thanks for the help
two independent parts in the same file sounds like fun

mike b
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Hello, @Zolko!
Again about naming...
1. May be it will be not so difficult for you to implement some kind of option:
pre-defined offered "Name for the link" - contains only the name of a part (not including the name of a file)? At this time I make some collection ("library") of parts of electricity elements. Every element - is a file with one part. When I add a link of such part to an assembly - I constantly need to remove the redundant name of a file of my "library" element during "Insert a Part" dialog.
2. What is your opinion about such kind of workflow (I mean to make such library with files including one part with the same name)?
3. May be there's some more comfortable way to organize files, parts, assemblies?

Thanks for your time!
Attachments
deleting_file_name.gif
deleting_file_name.gif (725.35 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm Again about naming...
yes, I agree with you: that change was introduced because somone asked it, and I find it annoying, so it is reverted in the next release. The logic I thought implementing is:

1) proposed name is the Label
2) if the name is Model or Assembly and Name == Label (this means that the user has kept the default proposal for the assembly) then proposed name is the filename
3) if the proposed name is already in use, add a number and/or increment it

Would that suit your workflow ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
FreeCutter

Post by FreeCutter »

totalcad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm ...
1. ... At this time I make some collection ("library") of parts of electricity elements. Every element - is a file with one part. ....
2. What is your opinion about such kind of workflow (I mean to make such library with files including one part with the same name)?
3. May be there's some more comfortable way to organize files, parts, assemblies?
Hello totalcad,
you maybe could put your 'elements', each as a Body, to just one file.
This would be similar to what Zolko did in the file "TheoJansen_walkter_parts" (see https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Ex ... 4_Example4) - according to my understanding.
When linking one of these "elements" to an assembly the lable of the Body is used in "Name for the link".
Thus, you might could get around the case 2) in Zolko's answer:
Zolko wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:15 am ...
1) proposed name is the Label
2) if the name is Model or Assembly and Name == Label (this means that the user has kept the default proposal for the assembly) then proposed name is the filename
Hopefully this is of help for you.
FreeCutter
Visit my GitHub profile

FreeCutter

Post by FreeCutter »

@Zolko: Again thanks a lot for this greate WB!
Would it be possible to have the icon of an Assembly in the tree view equal to the icon used in the button used to create such Assembly?
Currently it's a little bit tricky to distinguish between the Assembly-icon and the Part-icon in the tree view.
FreeCutter
Visit my GitHub profile

Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

FreeCutter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:39 am Would it be possible to have the icon of an Assembly in the tree view equal to the icon used in the button used to create such Assembly?
like this ? It's already in latest v0.20
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Lethalo

Post by Lethalo »

Hi Zolko,

I'm trying to create a workbench for my internship and your work correspond with my needs.
I have a few questions to ask.

Is there a way to run commands from assembly4 without it's UI part ? (or directly from another workbench ?)
Can I for example place a datum LCS without having to choose LCS's name in the QtDialog ? (I guess I could use directly the PartDesign::CoordinateSystem which is the same object as an LCS)
Or even attach a part to another, without the tabview interface just by passing every parameters ?

Thank you for your great work(bench) and for your reading !
FreeCutter

Post by FreeCutter »

Zolko wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 am like this ? It's already in latest v0.20
Yes - very good, updated to v0.20 - thanks a lot!
FreeCutter
Visit my GitHub profile

totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Thanks for clarifications, Zolko!
Zolko wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:15 am
totalcad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:52 pm Again about naming...
About incrementing - I had noticed during work, that it could be better to assign a number 1 (or may be 001, or 0001) right to the firstly added part, because when the same second part will be added - it can get number 2 (or may be 002, or 0002) - which is topologically more correct IMO. At this time (by default) when I add the first part - this gets a name without incrementing, and when the second part is going to be added - this gets a number 1(or 001) - which is not correct for an usual user (just I had heard programmers use incrementing from "0"...to..."N", but for usual people it is not usual :) ). I'd prefer incrementing: 001, 002....00N starting right away from the first part.
name_incrementing.png
name_incrementing.png (245.08 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
Last edited by totalcad on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Hello, @FreeCutter! Thanks for your help!
FreeCutter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:26 am "TheoJansen_walkter_parts" (see https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Ex ... 4_Example4)
- that's so cool!! I already seen these original "mechanical creatures" somewhere in the internet. A kind of a technical art... )) With the Zolko's implementation I could call this "digital technical art" :)
Yes, in such case as in the example when all the parts depend on each other - such approach would be comfortable. Also I'd add one note: I'd use "parts" (a yellow icon items) as containers, instead of bodies in some complex body cases. When I tried to colorize a complex body to different colors per element (Pad1 - one color, Pad2 with Fillet - to another) - FC didn't do that correctly. So I had decided to use "parts" as a container for multiple bodies with the separate color for each body. A container presents here as one unit in the assembly (and can be considered as one unit in the BOM functionality) and at the same time it can be rather complex object with different colorized elements.
Thank for your advises!