Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
metal_guy

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by metal_guy »

In light of ppemawm's request, I'm curious if it's possible to do a top-down design process while also breaking the assembly into multiple files?
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

metal_guy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 pm I'm curious if it's possible to do a top-down design process while also breaking the assembly into multiple files?
Yes it is. The process is explained quite well in zolko's Assembly4 user instructions and his technical manual.
https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4

See also an example here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p430431
All the bodies are in separate files and assembled/created in-context in the Assembly4 file.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
zishh

Post by zishh »

Maybe a similar question as the one before but I can not get this to work. I want to keep multiple master sketches in one file which is included into multiple other files to derive parts from it. Finally I want to assemble those parts based on one of the master sketches.

A simple project which shows this:

I tried two variants here:
1) Put the master sketch inside a Part and link the part into the assembly
2) Put the master sketch to toplevel and link it with alt+drag move into the assembly

With both variants I am unable to set the LCS_0 entry to one of the vertices. I can select the vertex but I am not able to select an "Attachment mode"

Hope someone has an idea - I am a bit lost
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

zishh wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:07 pm With both variants I am unable to set the LCS_0 entry to one of the vertices. I can select the vertex but I am not able to select an "Attachment mode"
What is it exactly that you are doing ? What buttons are pressed, what menu functions called ? Do you mean LCS-1 (rather than LCS_0) ?

If you mean LCS_1, then first you need to create an LCS_* in the document of the master part, attach that LCS_* to the vertex you want, and in the assembly place LCS_1 onto LCS_*. The "Import datum" function that does it for you: create LCS_1 in the master part document (inside the Part), attach it as you want, then in the assembly document tree select LCS_1 in the Model tree and do "Import datum". This LCS_1 is then a native datum of the assembly that follows the datum in the master part: if you change the Sketch where the vertex is then the LCS_1 in the assembly will follow.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
RDA

Post by RDA »

Hello,

I am quite new ti freecad and trying my best to get adjusted on everything. Having stumbled on the topological naming "issue" when using A2plus WB I was just constraining parts to surfaces, as it didnt really work, I switched to Assembly 4 WB.

So I did a tutorial and then tried to play around with my parts, well it went all fine until it didnt :| So my workflow is/was roughly as follows:

I already had parts "done" so I added LCS in every joining end etc. I have the offsets come from a spreadsheet. I then linked the LCS between the parts i want to join, rotated to get to correct orientation and "done".

I had some joints with other than a "90 degree" angle so I just changed the angle of the attachment. Then I noticed stuff doesn aling and found that one of the linked parts (Frame_side_tube_Body001) are not 180degree anymore but 179.29... I cant change it so its being "driven" from somewhere but I dont understand where and googling didnt help either.

Im 99.999% sure I did not touch it but the issue is I dont really understand whats making it "misalign", I cant reset, change anything on the angle.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22670 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 12155f4aab09047c5697db0c1b3cf93b02edda03
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

EDIT: Probably adding the file and version info helps...
Attachments
Frame_lower_tube.FCStd
(52.88 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Frame_top_tube.FCStd
(68.84 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Frame_side_tube.FCStd
(96.04 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Frame_diagonal_tube.FCStd
(51.8 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Frame_assembly.FCStd
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Last edited by RDA on Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

RDA wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 pm Probably adding the file and version info helps...
If you want anyone to look at your file you have to include all of the files linked in the assembly.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
RDA

Post by RDA »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:18 pm
RDA wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 pm Probably adding the file and version info helps...
If you want anyone to look at your file you have to include all of the files linked in the assembly.
I apologize, I just assumed they were all "built in" but it makes sense that the assembly is more like a linker file. I edited the previous post.
RDA

Post by RDA »

RDA wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 am
I apologize, I just assumed they were all "built in" but it makes sense that the assembly is more like a linker file. I edited the previous post.
I also found an issue with LCS_2 in the top tube, it had an offset mm and an angle... So i thought after sorting that out that it would be ok, well its not and still has an angle to the attachment...
RDA

Post by RDA »

RDA wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:49 am
RDA wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 am
I also found an issue with LCS_2 in the top tube, it had an offset mm and an angle... So i thought after sorting that out that it would be ok, well its not and still has an angle to the attachment...
And now I was able to "fix" it by making a new LCS_2 (even that the coordinates dislayed 0 offset, zooming in from the top showed one. Fixing this did not translate to the assembly and even when shown angle was 180degree, visually in the screen it had an angle offset. So I deleted the part from the assembly and inserted it again.

So now there is no angle offset but I guess I have messed this up by playingaround with offsets and angles. What is the corect method on adjusting the relations? Should I edit the parts LCS so that they are offsetted for parts to mate or should I offset stuff in assembly?
mrwusel

Post by mrwusel »

Hey there,
I'm trying to create an assembly with multiple linked parts (each part is saved in single file). I would like to have one master spreadsheet in the main assembly file and then use parameters in the parts which doesn't seem to work. I get the error

Code: Select all

<Gui> Document.cpp(1125): Document::getDependentDocuments: The graph must be a DAG.
When I close the assembly and part files and reopen them, the linked parts have disappeared in the assembly. Also the spreadsheet cells have changed to "#PENDING".
So my question is: is the use of a global spreadsheet not possible right now or am I doing something wrong?

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 28270e53a98a285e17663acd5044782c949016c2
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)