Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

I pushed a new version 0.10.4 with improved selection in the placeLink command. I hope it's improved, can you please test and report ?

I also added a command to directly create SubShapeBinders in the assembly: select a shape in a child part that you want to "import" (like a sketch or an edge or a face) and click the makeShapeBinder command, and it will create the corresponding shape in the assembly, and that you can use as reference for ... anything: sketch, LCS ... It's the same as a pure PartDesign::SubShapeBinder except that it's accessible directly from the workbench (and in that it places the binder directly in the Assembly tree). I gave it a better icon also:

also ... the Instructions page is quite outdated, if some of the more experienced users could find time to update/improve it would be a great help (for me and for newbies)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Zolko wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:30 pm Hello,

I pushed a new version 0.10.4
Hi, Zolko! I think I've found a bug..
After updating to the version 0.10.4 - I can't choose different LCS(s) for new and already added parts during the "Place linked Part" dialog. For example if I choose LCS1 in the new part - I can't choose LCS2 or LCS3 in the already added part - it jumps to LCS1 immediately.
LCS_selection_bug.gif
LCS_selection_bug.gif (261.68 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
Thank you!
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

And one addition question... :)
If the fixing will be time-consuming - is there a way to rollback to the previous 0.10.3 or 0.10.1 version?
Thanks!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:02 pm For example if I choose LCS1 in the new part - I can't choose LCS2 or LCS3 in the already added part - it jumps to LCS1
sh****t, I thought I had fixed that. This happens only if there is an LCS in the attachment parent with the same name as the selected LCS in the part. I don't succeed in finding where the bug comes from.

totalcad wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:41 pm If the fixing will be time-consuming - is there a way to rollback to the previous 0.10.3 or 0.10.1 version?
done : I've pushed 0.10.5 that reverted placeLink to 0.10.3 (but still including some fixes). Please update and test and report.

Thanx for your bug-reports
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Zolko wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:22 pm
sh****t, I
:lol:
updated, tested!! everything super!! Zolko you're master!Thank you!

Also, thanks for re-enabling immediate preview feature in the "Place linked Part" dialog!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

totalcad wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:08 am updated, tested!! everything super!!

Also, thanks for re-enabling immediate preview feature in the "Place linked Part" dialog!
You're welcome. While this version "works", it is not 100% consistent, as one cannot select datums in the model tree. Ideally, I'd like to be able to select LCS in the task-list, in the 3D view, or in the model tree, invariably, and the software sorts it all out for me that all these selections reach the same point.

So I re-worked the placeLink command, but before submitting it I'd like if you could test it please in your environment ? The file is attached, and you can manually copy it into the FreeCAD/Mod/Assembly4 directory (don't forget to backup your current version !)
Attachments
placeLinkCmd.py
(37.94 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Zolko, I've made an "Assembly 4" folder backup, replaced "placeLinkCmd.py" file. Started Freecad with Asm4 workbench and added few Parts to some assembly throw the "Place linked Part" dialog. All good, as before!
With a great pleasure! 8-)
Lethalo

Post by Lethalo »

Hi Zolko,

I'm trying to create parametric models and then reuse them as parts for others models
To give you an idea, I might want to have a beam model with a parameter defining it's length. And then create new models with beams of different size.

I'm curently using the branch of realthunder because it offers the possibility to create variant App::Link.
I saw that you wish to see that PR merge, so I'm wondering which kinds of issue could appear if I'm using your workbench on realthunder's branch ?

Also I would like to know if there is a way to push children's LCS to the parent (because right now they belong to the parts not the model) so I can still use them if I import that model in futures assemblies.

Thank you for your reading.
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Lethalo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:37 am Also I would like to know if there is a way to push children's LCS to the parent (because right now they belong to the parts not the model) so I can still use them if I import that model in futures assemblies.
If I understood correctly - you need the "Import the selected Datum" function. In this case you choose desired LCS in the sub-assembly's part and import it to the root of sub-assembly. Then when you add sub-assembly to the main assembly - you'll find and use the desired LCS.
LCS_import.png
LCS_import.png (469.18 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
Attachments
a_4_imported_LCS.zip
(23.45 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Lethalo

Post by Lethalo »

totalcad wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:42 pm If I understood correctly - you need the "Import the selected Datum" function.
Yes, thanks that was the feature I was looking for :)