Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by ppemawm »

gozlikehell wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 pm If you'd like to see the working file, let me know.
I for one would like to review the file. Can you upload to Dropbox or something similar?
Do you actually need a script or can you use the Assembly4 animator?
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

I can animate with Assemby4, but to animate multiple variables? Say, movement through its range plus rotation? I have it uploaded to git. It's just private right now.
gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

Plus, for some reason, when I rotate, the objects drift. Not sure why.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

gozlikehell wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:10 am I can animate with Assemby4, but to animate multiple variables? Say, movement through its range plus rotation?
If you want dependent movements, it's easy: create another variable, in the variable's field choose ExpressionEngine, and enter the formula you want. Then assign the second movement to that variable. Thus, when animating the movement, the second will move too.

If you want independent movements, that you need to code that yourself in python for the moment. It is entirely possible to do it at the GUI, and it had been suggested here, but that would require a lot of work for which I don't have the time currently. Also, while animating 1 movement is quite straightforward, animating several ones will very much depend on the use-case.

I have it uploaded to git. It's just private right now.
Yes, I've tested them, but my computer struggles a lot to open the files, especially "CV GM Tulip"
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
gozlikehell

Post by gozlikehell »

Sounds about right. The original objects were built on older computers with FreeCAD 0.17 and 0.18. Now you probably noticed, I built the assembly model on something with a lot of power. PartDesign workbench works great, but makes the objects resource pigs. The tulip with the revolves and grooves can strain a computer especially with arcs and curves cutting through other arcs and curves.

As far as animation, I figured you might say to use a variable as a counter/multiplier for the other variables. My next question would be why does the revolve animation cause the parts to drift or revolve at different speeds. The Revolution variable that I set up should spin the whole model in sync, but the cage especially will go out of sync. Have fun playing with it. If you want to host it on your git, go ahead. Feel free to simplify the objects for less powerful machines. I know ppemawm would like to play with it. I'll be working on my next model. :D
steve123

Post by steve123 »

If I attempt to add a view with a model selected from the Assembly4 workbench, it does not add the view to a render project. In my case, I was attempting to add the view to a Povray project. If I select a body from within one of the models, I can add that to the view.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19323 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 1b198453b8eb6aa2eaca4e4be4b49fee74e9de6e
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)

I posted this issue on Github: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-render/issues/27
jlz

Post by jlz »

Hello

I am newbie in FreeCAD and Assembly4, so I apologize in advance if this is not the forum to send this report.

I have found a bug in Assemby 4. I have sent a issue in github https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... /issues/41.

The summary is that FreeCAD crash if you modify a LSC selecting another edge reference.

Best regards
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

jlz wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:25 pm I have found a bug in Assemby 4. I have sent a issue in github https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... /issues/41.
The summary is that FreeCAD crash if you modify a LSC selecting another edge reference.
yes, this is a known bug:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42750
https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4258
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

dwebman wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm I just updated the Assembly 4 workbench and have run into a problem When entering a variable quantity, using float, I am restricted to two digits prior to the decimal point. The correct value can, however, be entered into the property view of the variable.
Same issue here. I encountered a similar issue in the animate box, there i could only enter 3 digits before the decimal point.

Any feedback on this yet? or do i report the bug on the github? It's such an annoying little issue.

Besides that, love the workbench :). Gave it a try this weekend, being able to assemble/animate things is awesome. Also love how easy it makes variables, not sure if there are other good options in freecad, but it's so nice to be able to parametrize the things you make :).
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

racemaniac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm
dwebman wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm I just updated the Assembly 4 workbench and have run into a problem When entering a variable quantity, using float, I am restricted to two digits prior to the decimal point. The correct value can, however, be entered into the property view of the variable.
Same issue here. I encountered a similar issue in the animate box, there i could only enter 3 digits before the decimal point.
Besides that, love the workbench :)
well done, you know how to talk to people :ugeek: . Now I will definitively have to have a look. I have anyway lots of small fixes in the pipeline, will make an update.