Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mnesarco

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by mnesarco »

Hi Friends,

Is there a way to access SubAssembly LCSs for alignment? Sub-Assembly parts are not available for selection.

screenshot_30.png
screenshot_30.png (99.1 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

I have a SubAssebly with some holes, and with proper LCSs on each one. But if I import it into another Assembly, the LCSs are visible but not selectable to align other parts. Only the origin of the subassembly is exposed. I am trying to put fasteners on subassembly holes.

Any suggestion on how to archieve that will be appreacited.

Thanks.
jmcornil

Post by jmcornil »

Hello

May be have a look to the "import" function
Icon.png
Icon.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
totalcad

Post by totalcad »

Hi!
As I know, there's an "import LCS" action from thee part's structure to the assembly's root. You can use that "root LCS" in sub-assembly..
Attachments
0.png
0.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
1.png
1.png (60.39 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Screenshot from 2021-02-20 11-20-59.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-20 11-20-59.png (49.66 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Screenshot from 2021-02-20 11-21-32.png
Screenshot from 2021-02-20 11-21-32.png (68.3 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Thanks for teh info, but it does not work on my side:
screenshot_31.png
screenshot_31.png (112.7 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Ok, I figured out that to make it work, I need to import the datum object on each nested level.

EDIT: Oh, and I need to import one by one on each nested level :o :(
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mnesarco wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:28 pm Ok, I figured out that to make it work, I need to import the datum object on each nested level.
EDIT: Oh, and I need to import one by one on each nested level
Yes, this is sub-optimal. I have opened an issue for that problem, please feel free to add your remarks:

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... issues/168
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Markymark

Post by Markymark »

A quick question to make sure I have the correct understanding. Currently it is not possible to keep the final assembly and its sub-assemblies in one single file, correct? The only way is to keep its sub-assemblies in separate files, right?

Rgrds, Mark
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Markymark wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:14 am Currently it is not possible to keep the final assembly and its sub-assemblies in one single file, correct? The only way is to keep its sub-assemblies in separate files, right?
currently, you can make an assembly in 1 file but only for 1 level, meaning no sub-assemblies. If you want nested assemblies (sub-assemblies and sub-sub-assemblies) then you need separate files.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
niethitwo

Assembly4 - Parts not visible anymore

Post by niethitwo »

Hello folks,

first of all thanks for this awesome software!

I am trying the Assembly4 workbench on a arch linux 0.19 / 24212 git releasefor a project.
There I have two conceptual questions and one problem I ran into:

Problem:
I started a project on my notebook and it synced onto my other PC.

Before, every inserted part was a yellow building block and was visible in the 3D view.
After reopening the synced file on another computer, now it shows as a rounded blue rectangle with green arrow.
The same now happens when reopening the file on the original computer

I attached an image, the upper symbol indicated parts which are no longer shown.
The lower part is one which I newly created for comparison reasons, which is displayed.
All the properties are identical, even if I show all properties in the properties list window.

I guess the green arrow indicates, that it successfully linked?

What am I conceptually missing, that these linked parts are not displayed anymore?
How can I fix it? Recomputing didn't help, but also doesn't show any error message and seems to succeed.
Would be great not to have to remodel this whole assembly, or at least understand where my usage went wrong to avoid this issue in the future.

Conceptual questions
  • For now, I use every size of a single part with its own file.
    As others, I briefly tried to make general parts, which then with the new configuration parameters.
    However, I tried to not use enum but just a float/length type. It seems this parameter then is also changed for all linked parts and cannot be used for derived individual part sizes. So I have to create an enum with that size first, which I then can select individually for every link.
    This means the calculation has to be done in the part configuration spreadsheet, which defines the values of the enum?

Assembly4 doesn't have a solver, so only one LCS-to-LCS relation is stored with an offset. This is not a "snap-to-this-then-to-that" as in Solidworks/Inventor and if I want to try such a thing the a2plus workbench would be the right one to give a ride?
Best
Attachments
freecad_links.png
freecad_links.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 5345 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

niethitwo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am Hello folks,
Hello, I've merged your thread in to the main assembly4 wb thread. Please post your full About info when posting to the forum + make sure you're using the most up to date assembly4 version.
Welcome to the forum :wink:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs