Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
racemaniac

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by racemaniac »

racemaniac wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:36 pm
Zolko wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:28 pm
racemaniac wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 pm Is there some other create datum point button somewhere so i can make it directly in the assembly part?
yes, in the Assembly4 workbench directly: either from the menu, the toolbar or from the contextual menu when an App::Part is selected. And it creates the datum objects directly where you need it. You can even give it a cute name that you'll remember.
Aha, indeed Create -> new point. Thanks a lot for the help, now i should be able to continue XD. Glad to know i'm on the right track with my master sketch etc... :).
Ok, i've got it working now :). Glad to be able to continue XD.

One thing though: am i (again ^^') missing something or is it a bit clumsy to work with? When i import the datum point, it's part of my App:Part, which is useless for the bodies i'm working on, it needs to be inside of the body i want to reference it in. So i have to drag the body outside of my App:Part, drag the datum object outside of the App:Part, then drag the datum object into the body, and then i can drag the body back into my App:Part, and i can use the datum object when designing the body.
If i try to drag the datum object into the body while both are inside the App:Part, the body gets pushed outside the App:Part, and the datum object remains where it was....
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

racemaniac wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am When i import the datum point, it's part of my App:Part, which is useless for the bodies i'm working on, it needs to be inside of the body
1) Yes (it's in the Part)
2) Why ? (can't you use it inside the Body)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:07 pm
racemaniac wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:26 am When i import the datum point, it's part of my App:Part, which is useless for the bodies i'm working on, it needs to be inside of the body
1) Yes (it's in the Part)
2) Why ? (can't you use it inside the Body)
2) No, it has to be inside the body to be able to use it? (at least, i think so. If i click import external geometry, i can only select things that are inside the body).
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

racemaniac wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 pm 2) No, it has to be inside the body to be able to use it
you're right. I don't use datum points like that, that's why I didn't see it before. So you have 2 solutions:

1) don't use PartDesign (at all)

2) draw your sketches in the Part container, and do the extrusions (or whatever) in the Body. It will ask you each time whether you want to:
  • make an independent copy (recommended by a moron who has no clue what a parametric design is about since you'll loose associativity)
  • make a dependent copy (which is stupid)
  • make a cross-reference (which is a sort-of-link-before-link and works flawlessly and is used by Assembly4 supremo "me")
make your own choice, I don't want to put pressure on you
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:09 pm
racemaniac wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 pm 2) No, it has to be inside the body to be able to use it
you're right. I don't use datum points like that, that's why I didn't see it before. So you have 2 solutions:

2) draw your sketches in the Part container, and do the extrusions (or whatever) in the Body. It will ask you each time whether you want to:
  • make an independent copy (recommended by a moron who has no clue what a parametric design is about since you'll loose associativity)
  • make a cross-reference (which is a sort-of-link-before-link and works flawlessly and is used by Assembly4 supremo "me")
Lol XD. I love the descriptions of the options of the dialog you gave. I also encountered that dialog before, and was wondering the exact same thing you said XD. Why would i want independent copies, and why is that recommended? XD

For now i'm doing the little dance of draggin my body & datum object out of the app:part & back in once combined. It's silly, but only takes 2 seconds, and works perfectly :).
racemaniac

Post by racemaniac »

racemaniac wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 am
Zolko wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Lol XD. I love the descriptions of the options of the dialog you gave. I also encountered that dialog before, and was wondering the exact same thing you said XD. Why would i want independent copies, and why is that recommended? XD

For now i'm doing the little dance of draggin my body & datum object out of the app:part & back in once combined. It's silly, but only takes 2 seconds, and works perfectly :).
It's strange though, sometimes i can add the datum objects to the body while both are inside the app:part. It's not consistent, and i haven't figured out the logic yet >_<.
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Hello, I have made a new video of Assembly 4 in Spanish, for educational purposes. See https://peertube.video/videos/watch/bad ... fc01cca9a2
Last edited by dcapeletti on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

dcapeletti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 am Hello, I have made a new video of Assembly 4 in Spanish, for educational purposes. See https://peertube.video/videos/watch/b8b ... 6944e939d6
@dcapeletti cool! BTW, there is a lot of static noise in the recording. Can you do anything about this? Some people are sensitive to this and it could present a difficulty for them to follow your instructional video.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:19 pm
dcapeletti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 am Hello, I have made a new video of Assembly 4 in Spanish, for educational purposes. See https://peertube.video/videos/watch/b8b ... 6944e939d6
@dcapeletti cool! BTW, there is a lot of static noise in the recording. Can you do anything about this? Some people are sensitive to this and it could present a difficulty for them to follow your instructional video.
Correction made :)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hi Zolko,
thanks for this great assembly workbench! I am trying to deal with nested assemblies and have an issue which I reproduced in the following sample: I inserted and placed two parts ("Base" and "Support") into my Model container. Then I wanted to use it again as a new sub-assembly to insert it into another assembly/model. To do this I created a coordinate system in the sub-assembly Model container root (as you described). The coordinate system should be bound to the borehole of the child part called "Support". But this does not work. The coordinate system is placed at the original position of the "Support" part, before it was inserted into the Model container. I hope the following screenshot makes this clearer:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (72.37 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
When I select the edge of the hole (with the Concentric mode), the coordinate system appears with the offset shown in the screenshot. Could you please tell me, if I did something wrong, or if this is an issue to be solved?
Attached is the FreeCAD file of this (sub-)assembly.
Thanks, Lorenzo

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20477 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7d8ab175a68e476427e6e337fe3099b52da49dc8
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)