Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
toralf

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by toralf »

Would it be possible to share the model/file with everyone? Maybe a simplified version with less detail. I would be very interested to learn/understand this approach.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

toralf wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm Would it be possible to share the model/file with everyone? Maybe a simplified version with less detail.
A reduced file size (original is 1.74 Mb):
flyball_governor_z2_simple.FCStd
(995.7 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
All of the articulating parts are assembled with Assembly4 using LCS's attached to the kinematics sketch as recommended by Zolko.<br /><br />Use the Assembly4&gt;Animate Assembly to check the motion over the allowable range as shown above in the dialog box.
All of the articulating parts are assembled with Assembly4 using LCS's attached to the kinematics sketch as recommended by Zolko.

Use the Assembly4>Animate Assembly to check the motion over the allowable range as shown above in the dialog box.
Picture1.5.png (175.71 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
I suggest you try Zolko's tutorial: https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... -bearing-3.
That is what hooked me for top-down or in-context design work. A2+ is excellent for bottom-up assembly (part models already created in separate files), but as far as I know does not lend itself to in-context modelling.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
toralf

Post by toralf »

Thanks a lot, I will study it.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

A2+ workbench has a tutorial section in the main FreeCAD wiki, and I think that is quite good.

There is a (very simple) tutorial for Assembly4, and also some advanced instructions, but in the GitHub repo of Assembly4.

There are links in the main FreeCAD wiki for external workbenches, and for A2+ it points to the wiki instructions, and for Asm4 it points to the GitHub rep.

Should we write a wiki page for Asm4 ? This should be quite easy to port the Instructions to the wiki format, but I don't have access to the wiki (or rather: I don't know how to access the wiki). I think that the instructions, tutorials and explanations would be much better served from the wiki than from GitHub.

Any suggestions ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
alonso_jamm

Post by alonso_jamm »

Zolko wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 am Should we write a wiki page for Asm4 ?
I think it would be a good idea. For getting access to the wiki look at this thread.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

ppemawm wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 pm A reduced file size (original is 1.74 Mb): flyball_governor_z2_simple.FCStd
it would be nice to have it on the A4 example files
BassMati

Post by BassMati »

Zolko wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:00 am Should we write a wiki page for Asm4 ?
Currently I am writing a tutorial for Realthunder's Assembly 3 workbench. Based on HTML, CSS and a few lines of JavaScript. Easy to download and have it offline. Minimum authoring effort.
https://bassmatifreecad.github.io/Freec ... /index.htm

Integration of Assembly 4 would be the next on the list anyway, and I would be honored to participate and write/maintain the documentation for the Assembly 4 workbench in this form.

What do you think?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

alonso_jamm wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm I think it would be a good idea. For getting access to the wiki look at this thread.
well-done. It would spare me time if someone would ask for that access and would be willing to make the wiki pages for Assembly4. Or even several people, I think we should make 2-3 pages of wiki: 1 for detailed basic instruction, and some other for more special features (variables and animation, master-sketch approach, link arrays, fasteners...).
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
alonso_jamm

Post by alonso_jamm »

Zolko wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 am I think we should make 2-3 pages of wiki
I think we should follow the structure used by other workbenches like Draft_Workbench or Part_Module. Having a main page where we show an overview of the entire workbench and then having one page for each tool in the assembly.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

One thing that is important is to keep both the wiki and github docs up to date. @Zolko as this WB gets more popular do you mind considering a documentation step/check for devs modifying (adding new/changing existing) functionality as you review PRs ? This way when the API or whatever changes that there is a check mark for updating the docs in both github and wiki and perhaps doxygen (or whatever other model you want to use to document the API)?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs