Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zivatar

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zivatar »

Zolko wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 pm Thank-you for your kind words. But I have the impression that you place a Body inside an Asm4 Model : is there a particular reason to do so ?
Yes, you are right. The rason is I tried to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04M6nFvdxs I thought that is normal.

However it is now clear I need to understand more about the concept, can you suggest where can I find the most extensive description (I know about the base documentation). My aim is to keep parametric as far as I can.
Using an Asm4 Model is mandatory for assemblies, not parts.
Thank You! I will take care about it!
You can do that in a non-parametric way: in the Part WB, you convert your linked part to solid (Menu > Part > Convert to solid), then you copy this solid to the document where your cylinder is, and use boolean operation on the cylinder.

But I don't know whether it's possible to do it and keep the parametric design.
Thank You, that is very useful hint for me!

Kind Regards,
Tivadar
topyra

Post by topyra »

Hi all - it is my first post here :)

I would like to create an axis that would go from one part in model to another part.
Each part is positioned by different LCS.

In attached example
link.FCStd
(35.74 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
there is an Axis_1 that I intended to go from Tube001.Edge5 (far end of bottom arm) to Tube002.Edge5 (top mount).
But unfortunately I am not able to do this - axle do not go thru end of bottom arm (Link001).

I would like to position two remaining parts (cyl_big, cyl_small) along this axis (one with orign at top, other at the bottom) - to model hydraulic cylinder between that two parts.
I want this hydraulic cylinder to animate according to changing 'angle' variable that move

I think may be similar problem to @goopypanther (if I understand him correctly).

Because I am very beginner, maybe I am doing everything wrong - if so, please give me some hints how to calculate LCS's for cyl_big and cyl_small to put it between center of Tube001 (Link001) and Tube002 (Base001).

Thanks

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22960 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c5a4b01d2e4218bcc0eb6650337650a6c65ef0e4
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
goopypanther

Post by goopypanther »

Zivatar wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Zolko wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:50 pm Thank-you for your kind words. But I have the impression that you place a Body inside an Asm4 Model : is there a particular reason to do so ?
Yes, you are right. The rason is I tried to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04M6nFvdxs I thought that is normal.
Ohhhhh now this is making sense, I learned from the same tutorial. Haha, sorry for the confusion Zolko.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

a new version (v0.9.11) of the Assembly 4 workbench is out: thanks to great help from others, the link placement dialog is vastly improved, and there is now a configuration engine. The combination of the 2 makes it very easy to build exploded assemblies.
translation.png
translation.png (377.3 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
configurationengine.png
configurationengine.png (328.22 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zivatar

Post by Zivatar »

Great!!! Thank You
heron

Post by heron »

Hello,
When adding a variable, typing its name, with each character pressed it throws an error in the report view

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\HK\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Assembly4\VariablesLib.py", line 145, in onNameEdited
      pattern = re.compile("^[A-Za-z][_A-Za-z0-9]*$")
  NameError: name 're' is not defined
It can be ignored, it doesn't seem to affect anything. I'm telling you this for your information only, in case you didn't know.

With the 0.9.9 version it did not happen.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22988 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: cdc01cb20cfa74079c45b9dc2dab81e3248b2aa5
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Spain (es_ES)
Last edited by heron on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

HK sxx wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:33 pm When adding a variable, typing its name, with each character pressed it throws an error in the report view ... With the 0.9.9 version it did not happen.
Thank-you for the report. This is PR #106 and I don't know what it does. On Ubuntu it doesn't do anything ....

EDIT: oups, it's a Regular Expression, and needs an

Code: Select all

import re
Fixed, I update, thank-you for the catch

EDIT 2: I pushed the update, can you please check ?
heron

Post by heron »

It is tested. Now no error appears.
Thank you.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

Zolko wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:55 am a new version (v0.9.11) of the Assembly 4 workbench is out the link placement dialog is vastly improved...and there is now a configuration engine. The combination of the 2 makes it very easy to build exploded assemblies.
Thank you for the excellent enhancements.

I have already begun using the new version in my current project https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p448228. It works as expected after I discovered the save and restore in the right-click Assembly dialog which I quickly added to my Assembly4 custom toolbar along with the handy "show LCS..." button.

If I understand correctly you cannot explode a part in the sub-assembly link in the top-assembly file but must do it in the sub-assembly file? I suppose that a limitation of the link function.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:54 pm I have already begun using the new version in my current project https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p448228. It works as expected after I discovered the save and restore in the right-click Assembly dialog which I quickly added to my Assembly4 custom toolbar along with the handy "show LCS..." button.
yes, I've seen your project, impressive as usual. Did you see that the configuration also stores hide/show values of objects ? It doesn't (yet) explode fasteners, I have to add them

If I understand correctly you cannot explode a part in the sub-assembly link in the top-assembly file but must do it in the sub-assembly file? I suppose that a limitation of the link function.
yes, that's an App::Link limitation. It might be solvable with variant links ...